Date:     1 Jul 82 7:59:27-EDT (Thu)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  900 & 976

That Carter call-in I just wrote about was a toll-free number. Also, I
see that 900-410-6272 is correct (I called it myself) for the "dial
shuttle".  I have found 976 prefix for recorded info in some other
areas besides NYC 212. Just from memory, I have found it in NYC
suburbs (914, 516); N.J. (609,201); Phila. (215); Detroit (313);
Chicago (?)(312). At this time, I do not know of 976 prefix ever
having been used for something else.

[Thanks also to John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO> for also
validating the shuttle number. Does that make currently 3 NPA's where
N0X and N1X are permitted as prefixes? 818 will probably be the forth
NPA when it is put into operation in the Valley suburbs near Los
Angeles. --JSol]

------------------------------

Date:     1 Jul 82 8:03:04-EDT (Thu)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  doubled digits

Does the "bounce" problem ever come up on pushbutton phones? (I.e.,
you get 2 or more consecutive repetitions of same digit where only 1
was in- tended.)  Sidetrack: On some keyboards, such as the one I am
using, you put the "repeat" into effect by holding the desired key
down.

------------------------------

Date:     1 Jul 82 11:36:39-EDT (Thu)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  pseudo-foreign

(As used in this note, "pseudo-foreign" means, as far as I can tell,
that no mileage is charged.)
Previously, this digest has referred to pseudo-foreign exchanges in
suburbs of Baltimore, Washington, and Los Angeles.  I think the fol-
lowing prefixes in Phila. (215) area are also pseudo-foreign:

	835, 839 Bala-Cynwyd (Phila. service)
	891 Media (Chester Heights service)

The latter (891) only came to my attention last Jan. when it showed up
in calling areas of Holly Oak, Wilmington, and Newport, Del. (latest
Wilmington directory came out that month).

------------------------------

Date:  1 Jul 1982 1010-PDT
From: Paul Martin <PMARTIN at SRI-AI>

Just a note to avoid future confusion.. Vadic makes a modem that talks
1200 baud both directions or 300 baud both directions.  UDS, Prentice,
and some garage operation make the 1200/150 "split speed" modems that
talk 1200 one way and 150 the other direction....  Paul Martin

------------------------------

Date:     2 Jul 82 10:29:59-EDT (Fri)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  oops

In digest 77, I made error in saying from where I had made a
long-distance call within Md. to a Md. suburb of DC.  I used an office
phone, not a pay phone (checked my phone bill today for this).  It is
true, though, that the pay phone I would have used is not equipped for
0+.

------------------------------

Date:  1 Jul 82 16:19:39 EDT  (Thu)
From: decvax!duke!unc!wm at Berkeley
Subject: second line for modem

I use a terminal at home and have call waiting.  When a second call
comes in I get about 10 garbage characters on the screen and my
connection is severed.  I then take the handset out of the modem and
answer the call.  This works very well on Unix since hangups are
handled properly most of the time, especially in the editor and other
places you might worry about.  The only problem I have had is if I am
reading a long article in news and get cut off, the article is marked
as read even though I might not have seen most of it.  Other than that
it has worked very well.  I live in a house with 4 other people and
use the terminal 1~2 hours a day and have had no problems.

				Wm Leler
			University of North Carolina

End of TELECOM Digest
-------