Date: 9 Jul 1982 03:11:00-PDT
From: pur-ee!davy at Berkeley
Subject: "talking" rate computers

Last evening I needed some information on the long distance rates to
Canada, so I called the operator.  She asked for the entire number,
plus what time I was planning to call (what rate schedule).  She then
did some button push- ing, and a "computer" (as she called it, it was
actually a recording(s) I think) came on and said "rate one-nine-five
repeat one-nine-five", meaning $1.95.

I've seen (heard?) this sort of thing before, and I've grown sort of
curious about it.  How does this stuff work?  Is it all the local
computer, or do they call the computer which "controls" that number,
or what?

Also, is it possible for the average person to call these things?  If
it were the local computer, I could see where the TelCo could save
some money on operators if we could get our rates ourselves.....

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dave Curry
ucbvax!pur-ee!davy
pur-ee!davy@berkeley

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 1982 07:28:04-PDT
From: harpo!ihps3!ihldt!jhh at Berkeley
Subject: 1+ DDD coming to Chicago (312)

Illinois Bell announced that Chicago area customers will have to dial
1 before dialing the area code for long distance calls.  They are
doing this to allow area codes to be used as prefixes.  The change is
effective in October.

			John Haller

End of TELECOM Digest
-------