Date: 10 July 1982 11:17-EDT
From: James M. Turner <JMTURN at MIT-AI>
Subject: MIT exclusion

The exchange of the restricted number has nothing to do with it.  You
have to remember that the MIT system is the last working panel setup
in America (I think), and they can treat calls coming in any way they
want. MIT "owns" 253 (voice) and 258 (data), and they can make any
number they want inaccessable from the outside. Since the switching
stuff is Ma Bell (albeit *old* Ma Bell), Ma Bell has to do the
bit/wire twiddling for new numbers, and they screwed up. This is the
reason 253/258 numbers give an MIT boo-boo message, just like
UMASS/Amherst "owns" the 545 exchange and has their own wrong number
message. I, in fact, was the person who diagnosed the cause of the
problem (MARTY was as shocked as I was that it was inside only, as he
had only tried it from MIT phones.)

					James

[253/258 are ESS, the last I checked, 225 is panel, but not the only
one. It could be the only privately owned panel, but I know of at least
3 exchanges in Connecticut which are still panel. --JSol]

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 1982 11:22:17-PDT
From: eagle!karn at Berkeley

I originally posted this on the usenet group net.ham-radio.  I am
sending it to Telecom because it is probably of interest to this
group, judging from the number of people who have expressed an
interest in bypassing their local loops for data.

			------------

July 1, 1982 To all radio amateurs -- At its July 1 open meeting FCC has
instructed its staff to draft a notice of proposed rulemaking dealing
with a codeless amateur radio license.  This NPRM will propose to
simply remove the code requirement from the present Technician class
license, with access limited to frequencies above 50 Mhz.  The present
Technician class license requiring code and permitting access to the
Novice bands would also remain in force.  However, the NPRM will also
explore the possibility of a codeless digital license, similar to
Canada's Digital Radio Operator Certificate, which requires knowledge
of digital theory.  Such a digital license could either be the only
codeless license or it could be concurrent with a codeless Technician
license.  The NPRM will be released sometime this fall, and is a
proposal only.  There will be a comment period during which all
interested parties will have a chance to make their views known to
FCC.
		 ----End of bulletin-----

Please note that the code-free license is a very emotional topic
within the amateur radio community, and is likely to be strongly
opposed by the ARRL.  I hold an Extra class license, but I understand
that not everybody is interested in (or has any use for) learning the
code.  This is particularly true of those technically sharp "digital
people" who could contribute much to packet radio.  When the NPRM
comes out, I encourage all interested persons, licensed or not, to
express opinions to the FCC.

--Phil Karn, KA9Q/2
Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ

End of TELECOM Digest