                     Cellular Radio Transceivers

Date: 20 July 1982  08:11-EDT (Tuesday)
From: Sam Hsu <FHsu at BBNG>
To: Hobbit <AWalker at RUTGERS>
Cc: TELECOM at MIT-MC

I've had pointers to Telecommunications mag. and EDN, but have been
unable to locate the article.  If anyone sees anything, or finds the
article, please post.  I'll have to get back to the original guy i
heard this from (who heard it from someone else, who heard it from
someone else,...).

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jul 1982 1558-EDT
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Stevens Pass is X-Y Step

I just spoke with Paul Newland about Stevens Pass.  He was right in
that it was not ESS, Crossbar, or Strowger, but wrong in believing
that it is panel.  It is, in fact, a SxS office, which instead of
operating in the cylindrical mode of Strowger switches, operates in an
X-Y plane.  Except for the physical arrangement of the switches, it is
the same as Strowger, and still Step by step.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jul 1982 1612-PDT
From: Ian H. Merritt <MERRITT at USC-ISIB>
Subject: Stevens Pass, Wash.

I placed a call to the 206-973 prefix (Stevens Pass) to try to
determine the type of switching system. It doesn't sound like Panel.
It sounded more like perhaps crossbar with new tone generators.  Are
you sure there is really a switch located in those fiberglass shacks?

							<>IHM<>

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jul 1982 12:30 EDT
From: Slade.WBST at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Cellular Radio Transceivers

Does anyone have any information about any company building components
for or complete telephone transceivers for the new cellular
Radio-telephone service that has been authorized by the FCC?

I have used sveral databases and have come up only with articles on
who is trying, planning etc. to get the franchise from the FCC for
various locations but nothing about who is or will make the
transceivers.

Can anyone offer any help?

End of TELECOM Digest
-------