Date: 30 July 1982 09:49-EDT
From: "Marvin A. Sirbu, Jr." <SIRBU at MIT-MC>
Subject: TELECOM Digest V2 #95

    Several people have discussed the matter of dialing "1" + 10
    digits in terms of distinguishing between 7 and 10 digit
    numbers.  However, recently I have heard some discussions of
    another reason for having the Long Distance access code,
    related to the impending Bell split, and deregulation.  The
    conjecture is that ATT Long Lines will no longer have a
    monopoly on long distance calling, and that other long
    distance comon carriers, (MCI, Sprint, etc) will ask for, and
    be granted access to local CO's.  According to this
    conjecture, the subscriber might then have the option of
    dialing "1"+10 digits for ATT Long Lines, and say, "10"+10
    digits for MCI, etc.  (This would seem to introduce a whole
    new set of ambiguities, wouldn't it?)

The Consent Decree does indeed forsee that MCI, SPC and the like will
be given some kind of abbreviated access codes similar to the 1+ which
now gets you to AT&T Long Lines.  Indeed there is already an
independent telephone company somewhere in Nebraska that is offering
its customers access to MCI by dialing 6+ 10 digits.

The Consent Decree also forsees that users will be able to designate a
"preferred" long distance carrier to their local telco.  Then whether
they dial 1+ their calls will be routed to the preferred carrier.

The technical problems in providing such acess remain to be resolved.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jul 1982 1038-PDT
Sender: WMARTIN at OFFICE-8
Subject: Reduced-rate long distance services
From: WMartin at Office-8 (Will Martin)

The vast majority of LD calls on my bill are intRAstate, within
Missouri, from my wife to a relatively close small town where her
relatives live.  When they moved from Illinois to Missouri, our LD
bills shot up, due to the organized persecution of all intrastate LD
callers.

Are there any of the reduced rate services that will help me at all on
this?  I had gleaned the impression that they are all oriented toward
savings on interstate calls between major metropolitan areas.  Will
any help on intrastate calls to small towns?

Thanks, Will Martin

------------------------------

Date: 30 July 1982 1253-PDT (Friday)
From: lauren at UCLA-Security (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: Re: Whats NPANXX - A Query About Dialing "1+" for Long Distance

Depending on what's left after the various courts, congress, and the
FCC get finished, there is a good chance that the "alternate" carriers
will get some sort of direct access.  However, the access method
chosen can be expected *not* to introduce new ambiguities -- that
would be kinda pointless wouldn't it?

The plans for 1+ dialing go *way* back.  Even my original copy of
"Notes on the Network" gives timetables on 1+ implementation -- all
phones in the U.S. were to be converted to 1+ for DDD calling before
1990 regardless of other factors.  Recent events are only speeding up
that preplanned process.

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jul 1982 08:30:43-EDT
From: dee at CCA-UNIX (Donald Eastlake)
Subject: minor NPA note

Originally, NPAs of the form N0X were for states or provinces that had
one NPA and those of the form N1X were used in states and provinces
with more than one NPA.		Donald Eastlake (dee@CCA-UNIX)

------------------------------

Date:     28 Jul 82 15:16:17-EDT (Wed)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
Subject:  boundaries

Phone prefixes, in general, are not limited by county lines.  This
caused a problem in recent years at the border between New Castle and
Kent counties in Delaware, when the 911 emergency number was being set
up, because about 15% of the people on Smyrna exchange (302-653) are
in New Castle county (the rest are in Kent).  News item mentioned such
crossing of county lines happening many times in Pennsylvania (comment
prompted by Smyrna case above).  (The Susquehanna River does serve as
county line AND phone-prefix boundary between Harford & Cecil
counties, Maryland.)

Speaking of boundaries, how are things handled at the time-zone
boundaries?  (I recall seeing something about time zones in notes
concerning V&H tape.)

------------------------------

Date:     29 Jul 82 8:33:58-EDT (Thu)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
To:       ihnss!houxn!govern at Ucb-C70
Subject:  run out of areacodes?

Could you show some samples of area codes that would be used when the
present ones run out?

[I believe he said they would look like prefixes, e.g. 234, 777, etc.
--JSol]

------------------------------

Date:     30 Jul 82 7:46:07-EDT (Fri)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  10+ ?

Dialing 10 from my phone (302-731, not an ESS exchange) takes me to
local operator, without timeout. (302-731 does have 0+ dialing, so
that dialing just 0 must wait for timeout.)  "10+" was mentioned in
digest V2 #95.

Earlier, someone mentioned 950 prefix, unassigned in all area codes,
in connection with MCI, etc.

End of TELECOM Digest
-------