   More Carter Lake, Iowa Trivia - State Boundaries Vs. River Course

From: uucp at NPRDC
>From sdchema!bam Tue Aug 31 18:03:52 1982 remote from sdcsvax

An interesting article in Time Magazine about the last 'crank'
telephone system in the country brings up a few questions..  I was
under the impression that there were still quite a few of these manual
systems left in the country... Mostly in some southwest desert
communities. The last one to go in California was Catalina Island but
that still should leave several in the state?!  Does anyone have any
details of similiar systems still operational?

By the way, the Time article was about the impending loss of the
'crank' system to a dial one.  The community of Bryant Pond was not
thrilled by the idea and have organized a protest against the
impending upgrade.  "Don't yank the Crank" T-shirts are availble
directly from them for Ten dollars.

	For more info, contact:
	DON'T YANK THE CRANK
	BOX 56
	BRYANT POND, MAINE 04216

	or call,
	Alice Johnson at:
	Bryant Pond 137

Bret Marquis
ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdchema!bam
sdcsvax!sdchema!bam@NPRDC

------------------------------

Date:  1 Sep 1982 0359-EDT
From: Hobbit <AWalker at RUTGERS>
Subject: More on Modems

I have used a Vadic 3405 thru both direct calling *and* Sprint with
very favorable results.  Most of the direct calls are about 30 miles.
The occasional hit does indeed show up as a ''y'', usually... this
seems to be the default character that the Vadic gives you when it
doesn't know what it received.  If you begin to get lots of them on a
good line, it is probably time to have the modem card looked at.

Sometimes the echoing on a carrier service causes what approaches a
loopback effect, and throws the whole thing off, but usually the
transmission thru these is quite satisfactory unless you try and go
cross-country or something.

Okay.  While someone is answering that question about 212, 212A, etc.
could he also throw in a little piece about 202??  I believe this is a
real protocol but I have no idea what it's about.  In one of our
pieces of Vadic documentation, there is mention of ''202 protocol'',
but the reference is very unclear.  Does it have anything to do with
Vadic protocol?

_H*

------------------------------

Date:  1 Sep 1982 0402-EDT
From: Hobbit <AWalker at RUTGERS>
Subject: Tone chips

I have for a while now wanted to build an autodialer that uses tones.
Has anyone had any experience with any of those chips that do the tone
generation?  I hear they are cheap; if I could interface one to a
micro with some simple port hardware I would be happy.

Also, does anyone know any easy way to do tone *detection*?  I would
like to be able to talk to a micro remotely thru a touchtone pad.

_H*

------------------------------

Date:     1 Sep 82 8:08:09-EDT (Wed)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
To:       john covert <rsx-dev@Dec-Marlboro>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  river & state line

Without knowing the details about Carter Lake, Iowa, I do recall
reading years ago that if a river suddenly changes course (as it did
at Carter Lake?)  the boundary stays put.  So the following is
possible: Carter Lake was always part of Iowa and simply got shifted
to "wrong" side of river by sudden course change.

[I think John Covert was talking about Legislation to permanently move
Carter Lake into Iowa (?) --JSol]

End of TELECOM Digest

-------