Date: 22 September 1982 02:06-EDT
From: Eliot R. Moore <ELMO at MIT-MC>
Subject:  1200 baud triple modem with tone auto-dialer
To: sdyer at BBN-UNIX

Catch-22!  If you're using Sprint/MCI/ITT, 212 protocol may be awful.
It depends purely on luck.  ITT gave me great 212 connnections from
Los Angeles to Boston, but Sprint was impossible to use from Los
Angeles to San Diego (150 miles).  Comparitively, from LA => San
Diego, Vadic protocol generated 2 errors/minute, while 212 did about
100.  I think you're looking at a vadic triple and dialing it yourself
OR getting a 3481 card with an 801 autodialer card in a 1601 rack...
much more expensive.

Cheers,
Elmo

------------------------------

Date:  21 September 1982 16:52 edt
From:  York.Multics at MIT-MULTICS (William M. York)
Subject:  time limits on payphone calls
cc:  jcp at BRL

Calls from payphones in the Boston area have been automatically broken
after a fixed amount of time (10 minutes or less) for several years.
I remember being incredibly annoyed when I first came to MIT in 1975.
There was apparently no such limit in the Detroit area.  (Since then,
Michigan Bell has raised payphone rates to $0.20, but if they still
allow unlimited duration calls, it might be worth it.  Today I had to
call my wife back at a payphone when we got the beep, and sometims
payphones don't accept incoming calls!)

------------------------------

Date: 21 Sep 1982 2204-EDT
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
cc: cmoore at BRL
Subject: DC Metro area

The phones in the distant suburbs of DC such as Herndon, Annapolis,
and Columbia are not DC Metro phones; they can't call the entire metro
area.  They can usually get as far as the District, but can usually
not call the other side of the river.

Thus they do not belong to the unique group of NXXs that is dialable
with both the 'real' area code and 202.

------------------------------

Date:     22 Sep 82 8:40:37-EDT (Wed)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
To:       John R Covert <RSX-DEV@Dec-Marlboro>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  Re:  DC Metro area

I will limit this note to Laurel, Md. exchanges. (area 301)
(I had written that 621 and 953 were in DC metro area.)

490,497,498,725,776 Laurel; and 596 Columbia (Laurel service) have
local service into DC but not to Va.
621 Laurel (Bowie-Glenn Dale service) & 953 Laurel (Berwyn service)
both have local service to DC metro area.
792 Laurel (Waterloo service) has local service to Baltimore metro
area.
None of the above is reachable via area code 202.

End of TELECOM Digest
-------