Date: 14 Nov 1982 1607-PST
From: Ian H. Merritt <MERRITT at USC-ISIB>
Subject: Re: (800) dialing glitch

Sometimes InWATS numbers are translated to local numbers. The
recording you received was probably the result of this. Either an
improper translation occured in some tandem somewhere, or the number
was in fact disconnected.  In any case, when an AIS (Automatic
Intercept Service) recording is received, almost universally, an
operator will come on the line at the end of the message (stated once,
then repeated paraphrased).  This operator may have been able to
assist you, or if not, perhaps her supervisor...
							<>IHM<>

------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 14 November 1982  16:11-PST
From: mo at LBL-UNIX (Mike O'Dell [system])
Re:   Problems dialing 900 number

Just thought I would pass on this curiosity.  Several times I have
tried to dial the STS-5 DIALIT number 900-410-6272 but could not
because as soon as I dialed the "0" in 410, I immediately got the
"Your call cannot be completed as dialed intercept."  I could dial
some of the other DIALIT numbers without the zero there, but the zero
causes an immediate intercept.  The interesting part is that I am
served by a brand-new ESS (model unknown) central office (the old Xbar
was cut-out about 6 months ago).  Even more amusing, when I dial the
operator and complain, I get the expected multitude of stupid answers.
Moveover, when I ask them to dial them for me, about half the time
they claim they can't dial DIALIT numbers for me, and the other half
the time the operator cheerfully complies and it works fine.  I claim
there is a bug in the CO, but where in the world do I send the SPR??

	-Mike

------------------------------

Date: 15 Nov 1982 1426-PST
From: Lynn Gold <FIGMO at KESTREL>
Subject: Pay telephones for home use
cc: harpo!ber at UCB-C70

I saw a pay telephone for sale at Macy's out here (Palo Alto, to be
exact) about a year ago; perhaps they still have such an animal at a
Macy's near you.

--Lynn

------------------------------

Date: 19 Nov 1982 0008-PST
Subject: telephone status circuit
From: William "Chops" Westfield <BillW @ SRI-KL>

A long time ago, in a state far away, Someone published a very nice
circuit that used a single CMOS IC (a 4001 quad nor gate, I think)
that differentiated between hung up, ringing, and off hook phone
conditions, displaying the result on a LED (off, on, or flashing, not
necessarilly in that order).  Unfortunately, I lost the xerox I made
of the circuit at that time.  Does anybody happen to remember or have
this circuit (I though it was in the "Electronic Casebook" section of
an "Electronics" magazine, but I recently went through all the issues
I could find since 1972, and I didnt see it...)

Thanks
Bill W

------------------------------

Date: 19 Nov 1982 1037-PST
From: Jim Celoni S.J. <CSL.JLH.Celoni at SU-SCORE>
Subject: Pac Tel Sheds Home Wiring

Pacific Telephone has filed a tariff with the Calif. Public Utilities
Commission to decouple maintenance of residential station wiring from
the basic monthly service fee.  If it's approved, PT&T will maintain
home wiring only if customer pays $0.35/mo OR $60.00/visit.

I think inside wiring becomes customer property on 1-1-83 whether or
not the above scheme's approved, and people can legally work on wiring
themselves or pay third parties to do so.

(I remember a note about NY Tel changing its treatment of home wiring,
too.)

    --j

End of TELECOM Digest
-------