Date:     29 Nov 82 14:58:35-EST (Mon)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  1 + 213 + N0X (or N1X)

A few years ago, dialing the above from a pay phone (302-366) got
an error message (I'm not sure if I had to dial the rest of the
phone number first).  I would have had to call the operator and ask
him/her to place call (and possibly explain that LA area was an excep-
tion in permitting N0X and N1X--a point that may be a lot easier to
explain here on the East Coast with addition of N0X & N1X in NYC in
1980 and in Chicago area this fall).  I think 302-366 pay phone now
puts such a call thru properly.
(302-366 is Newark, Del.)

------------------------------

Date: 29 November 1982 1702-EST (Monday)
From: Mark.Sherman at CMU-CS-A
Subject: Telephony Books

Has anyone heard of these books and say whether they are worthwhile
reading or buying?

	All About Telephones
	Van Waterford

	The Master Handbook of Telephones
	Robert J. Traister

-Mark (Sherman@CMU-CS-A)

------------------------------

Date: 29-Nov-82 16:21:05-PST (Mon)
From: UCBKIM.luria@Berkeley (Marc Luria)
Subject: Using call waiting with a Ventel 212+

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Does the modem disconnect
and let the phone ring?  We get very few calls, so this seems to be a
reasonable solution if I don't have to keep my eyes glued to the
screen and rush to pick up the phone.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Nov 1982 1959-EST
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Getting 619 bugs fixed

Theoretically a call to repair service should solve the problem.  It
probably won't, but if you call 714 555-1212 and ask for a number in
San Diego, insisting that there is no other way for you to get through
and that your operator told you to dial 714, you will get passed to a
supervisor with the keyword "code blue" who will take your area code
and NXX.  Whether she'll get it fixed or not is another story.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Nov 1982 2009-EST
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Non-pub

Most places east that I have lived usually have non-pub numbers in
DA's copy of the directory.  I believe they usually have "np" and not
the number.  Here in Acton I was working at the town fair and a purse
was turned in.  We found that the owner had a non-pub number, and our
local DA operator, once we agreed that loss of purse was an emergency,
had to call a "non-pub" bureau, which of course, wasn't answering on
Saturday.  By the time she called us back to tell us that she would
have to learn on Monday what the correct procedure for Saturdays was,
we had found the number on her son's school record.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 1982 0746-MST
From: Jay Lepreau <Lepreau at UTAH-20>
Subject: Non-pubs and directory assistance
cc: vortex!lauren at LBL-UNIX

Some years ago I worked for a company (Datacomp in Philly-- are they
still around?)  that provided all the database maintenance, customer
books and DA operator books/data for many operating companies in the
East and Midwest.  In general, the DA books/tapes contained everyone's
name including the non-pubs, but not the numbers for those.  Looking
at those books was surprising-- there were slews of non-pub entries,
sometimes up to a third or so-- particularly for Chesapeake & Potomoc
in the Wash D.C. area, of course.

Since we did the database maintenance too, for most opco's we actually
had the phone numbers of non-pubs, but for C&P we sure didn't!  Think
how much one of us could have made by selling Congressmens' numbers!

The practise of listing non-pubs in the DA operators info is certainly
in effect at Mountain Bell: as part of political work this year I did
a lot of DA calling, and frequently the op would say "non-pub."  I
don't think I ever got credit tho... Something to check out.

-Jay  (also harpo!utah-cs!lepreau)

------------------------------

Date: 24 Nov 1982 2038-PST
Sender: GEOFF at SRI-CSL
Subject: Cellular in the news.
From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow

n110  2025  23 Nov 82
BC-MARKETPLACE
(BizDay)
By DANIEL F. CUFF
c. 1982 N.Y. Times News Service
    NEW YORK - Cellular radio, which holds the promise of making
phones in cars commonplace, is a technology that has been long in
coming but still holds tremendous potential profitability for
companies that eventually make a success of it.
    Cellular radio is a radiotelephone system that divides, say, the
New York metropolitan area into small geographic cells, and through
computer switching ''hands off'' calls as a car moves from one cell to
another. The same frequencies can be used over and over within a given
area, vastly increasing the number of users from the current limited
system.
    The system, which has applications for any portable phone, has
been in development for more than a decade by AT&T, Motorola and other
companies. The Federal Communications Commission has accepted
applications for licenses in the top 60 markets so far and some
analysts expect licenses to be granted within five months to a year.
    A report by John S. Bain, Winston E. Himsworth and Susannah B.
Bristol of Lehman Brother Kuhn Loeb estimates that revenues for
equipment manufacturers could be expected to begin in late 1983 and
for systems operators, in 1984.
    The report adds that there could be further delays as the FCC
struggles with the application and if there are court challenges to
the procedure.
    Two licenses will be awarded in each market, one to a telephone
company and the other to what is called a nonwireline operator.
    ''This is the most exciting new area for the 1980s and will have a
major impact on Wall Street,'' said Stephen S. Weisglass, president of
Ladenburg, Thalmann & Co., the brokerage firm.
    After all, there are more motor vehicles (160 million) than homes
in the United States and currently only one-tenth of 1 percent of the
vehicles are equipped with mobile telephones. Growth will be slowed at
first by the cost of the new phones, which some analysts estimate at
$150 a month. Further technological developments could bring that cost
down sharply, however.
    ''There is a much larger market than people are willing to admit
publicly to try to forestall competition,'' said one analyst, who did
not wish to be identified.
    To give an idea of the potential, Weisglass said that in the Los
Angeles market, capital expenditures might be about $300 million for a
nonwireline operator to set up a system. ''We can see profits on a pro
forma basis starting in the third year of $120 million and those
profits should grow at a 40 percent annual rate,'' he said .
    For the investor, however, there are few ''pure'' plays in
cellular radio, the Lehman Brothers report said. ''MCI, Metromedia and
Western Union may well all be major factors in the future marketing of
cellular service,'' it said, ''and Anaconda-Ericsson, Harris and
Nippon Electric may be major manufacturers.'' But cellular radio, it
added, will not be the business that determines the future of these
companies and many of the other players.
    The report made only two recommendations, Communications
Industries, a carrier, and E.F. Johnson, a supplier - but Johnson is
now being taken over by Western Union.
    Other companies have been taken over. Metromedia, for example,
bought up several companies, including Radiofone.
    Some large companies have formed ventures with smaller companies
to get in on the cellular action. Millicom, for example, has put in
for 20 licenses, some in conjunction with Kansas City Southern
Industries and United Brands. Millicom's stock, on the
over-the-counter supplemental list, has moved from 5 to close to 10 in
the last month.
    ''The most leveraged opportunity for investors would be Graphic
Scanning,'' Weisglass said. Graphic Scanning, perhaps the largest
company in the paging business, is also a major and aggressive force
among the nontelephone applicants for cellular radio. It was the only
one, for example, that sought licenses for all 30 top markets when the
FCC accepted the first batch June7.
    Applications for the second tier of 30 cities went in earlier this
month and on March 8 applications will be accepted for the rest of the
nation. The top 30 markets drew some 200 applicants and the second
tier close to 400.
    The application picture may be eased in some of the markets if the
competing nontelephone applicants can get together. Smaller companies
might bow out in return for an equity position in a larger company,
for example.

nyt-11-23-82 2330est
***************

------------------------------

End of TELECOM Digest
-------

TELECOM@Usc-Eclb (12/01/82)

TELECOM AM Digest   Wednesday, 1 December 1982    Volume 2 : Issue 134

Today's Topics:	  Dialing 1 + 213 + N0X/N1X Errors
       Query - Telephony Books - Are They Worth Buying/Reading
                Using Call Waiting With A Ventel 212+
                        Getting 619 Bugs Fixed
              Non-Pubs And Directory Assistance (2 Msgs)
                    News Feature - Callular Radio