Date: 12/02/82 00:27:08
From: A2DEH@MIT-MC
Subject: InSprint

	At the risk of appearing ignorant, how do you use it? I would
like to call someone who gave me their InSprint number. Do I find out
a local Sprint number and dial it, or what? Any tips on how to use
this?
	-Don
(reply directly to me as I am not on the list. Thanks.)

------------------------------

Date:  1 Dec 1982 2159-PST
From: Ian H. Merritt <MERRITT@USC-ISIB>
Subject: DTMF decoding

I have built a decoder using the MITEL MT8870 chip, and will comfirm
their claims of its ease of operation.  It is very tolerent of
variations in the external component values, requires an easy-to-find
3.579545 MHz crystal, which is about $2.00 at radio shack, probably
less from suppliers. It is indeed easy to interface to a microcomputer
bus, and our little circuit worked the first time.
							<>IHM<>

------------------------------

Date: 2 Dec 1982 0926-PST
Sender: BILLW at SRI-KL
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V2 #135
From: BILLW at SRI-KL

Indeed, the standard "poor man's" touch-tone decoder consists of 7-8
(the full touchtone pad is 4x4) 567 phase locked loops and some gates.
567s typically sell for around a buck (Jameco: .89)

These circuits frequently appear on the spec sheets of the 567
("typical application"), which you can probably pick up at your
friendly neighborhood distributer, or check out something like the
Signetics Analog applications hanbook...

BillW

------------------------------

Date:      1 Dec 82 20:42:43-PST (Wed)
From: Mark Wadsworth <mw%uci@USC-ECL>
Subject:   Directory assistance after divestiture

How will long-distance directory assistance which seems to be handled
when Bell isn't my long-distance server?  Right now, I can call
anywhere free to find the phone number, Bell pays the directory
operators (or do they?), and then MCI gets the money when I make the
real call. For that matter, how is directory assistance handled now?
Do all the local phone companies contribute to a DA fund?  Who runs
directory assistance?

------------------------------

Date:     2 Dec 82 11:29:39-EST (Thu)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  218 area

Most of the operator codes for 218 area (northern Minnesota) started
with 612!  The exceptions were 14 prefixes routed via North Dakota
(701) and 555, routed via 218 and having the Duluth V&H coordinates
(although the Duluth exchanges had op. codes starting 612, as above).

------------------------------

From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Ordering Notes on the Network

This is most definitely worth having!

Send $30 plus tax (they won't accept your order without local sales
tax) to:

Mary Ellison
Western Electric
Indiana Distribution Center
PO Box 26205
Indianapolis, Indiana 46226

317/265-3339

(This is a new address.  Previously this was ordered from Greensboro.)

------------------------------

Date: 2-Dec-82 20:33:26-PST (Thu)
From: pur-ee!davy@Berkeley
Subject: Non-published numbers

Here in Lafayette, Indiana (GTE unfortunately), directory assistance
apparently *does* have the actual numbers for "non-published"
customers.  I tried calling a friend of mine who had recently moved,
and had gotten an unlisted number.  I had lost the piece of paper I
had the new number on, and calling directory assistance basically got
me nowhere.

If you are really desperate (which I pretended to be), and you can
convince the operator that it is an emergency, she will call the
non-published number for you and tell the person on that end to call
you back (she won't just connect you, though).  Of course, I believe
it is actually illegal to claim that you have a emergency when you
don't, but......

--Dave Curry
decvax!pur-ee!davy
pur-ee!davy@berkeley

------------------------------

Date:     2 Dec 82 15:56:35 EST  (Thu)
From:     Steve Bellovin <smb.unc@UDel-Relay>
Subject:  Telephony books

I've seen them listed in the Etco catalog, and have wondered the same
thing, but haven't purchased them (yet).

		--Steve Bellovin

------------------------------

Date:  2 December 1982 18:26 est
From:  Jarrell.Advisor at M.PCO.LISD.HIS
Subject:  Re: modems and call-waiting.

The experience I've had with call-waiting is that the interrupting
party will only ring the phone if your modem happens to be designed
to hang-up it's end of the phone after the remote system hangs-up.
Call waiting only patches through the ringing if you hang up on one
party or the other. The remaining party is rung in then.

-Ron

End of TELECOM Digest
-------