Date: 13 Apr 1983 1204-CST
From: Clive Dawson <CC.Clive@UTEXAS-20>
Subject: Calling Card Use on International Calls

I too was a victim of outrageous charges when using my calling card
for international calls.  In this case it was to Mexico, and involved
several calls before I received my next phone bill.  I went through
several levels of business office people and supervisors quoting the
little brochure which said that calling cards were cheaper than
operator-assisted on *all* out-of-state calls (my emphasis).  They
refused to classify international calls as "out-of-state" (what are
they? in-state?!).

Anyway, I was contesting a total amount of around $20, and was stunned
when one supervisor actually started "bargaining"!  We ended splitting
the cost at $10 each.  This was a first for me--I didn't know Bell
would ever resort to compromising on a contested charge that didn't
involve some unknown factor like the time of interruption of a long
distance call, etc.

And talking about Mexico, I should again mention my pet peeve with the
multi-national communications establishment (whoever that is) which
allows such outrageous rates for long distance calls.  It is still the
case, I believe, that the single most expensive telephone call I can
make from Austin, Texas to ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD is to Mexico.  If any
newcomers to TELECOM can shed light on the reasons for this, please
let me know.

Clive

------------------------------

Date: Wed Apr 13 1983 14:20:09-PST
From: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@LBL-CSAM>
Subject: Direct Dialed Calling Card Calls

At least for Domestic calls, you do NOT get "direct-dialed" rates for
automated use of a calling card.  In some cases (maybe all cases, by
now) you pay somewhat less of a surcharge than you would for operator
assisted, but a surcharge is still there.  (There's nothing really
wrong with the concept of the surcharge: after all, you *are* making a
more "complex" call in that billing information has to be passed back
to your "home" telco and integrated with your local billing.)

I can't recall hearing anything about surcharge reductions for
international calls with automated calling cards.  Telco may have you
on this one.

Anybody know for sure?

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date: 13 Apr 1983 2333-EST
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Self-dialed Calling Card Calls to overseas points

Sorry, but Pacific Telephone is billing you the correct, authorized,
and only legal rate.

The calling card rate has nothing to do with whether you dial the
calling card yourself or give it to an operator.

Calling card calls to overseas points cost the same as operator
assisted calls to overseas points.  This is the rate that AT&T filed
with the FCC, the rate that the FCC approved, and the rate you are
required to pay for the service you obtained.

Yes, it's rotten.  The only thing you can do is write to the FCC and
complain that the rate is unfair.  That might help change it for the
future, but for now, there is no special rate for calling card calls
to overseas points.

(AT&T introduced the lower calling card rates on calls within the
country to compete with lower rates offered by the Other Common
Carriers for a similar service.  The initial filing was for an even
lower rate; the FCC told them that the rate they had asked for was too
low.  There is no competition in the international market.  Also, the
calling card rate has to be averaged over the cost of providing the
service both for calls originating within the U.S. as well as for
calls made TO the U.S. from abroad.  The same rate must be charged in
both cases; AT&T gets charged a higher rate by the overseas
administrations for the calling card call and averages this (by FCC
order) over all calling card calls.)

------------------------------

Date:  14 April 1983 00:22 est
From:  Schauble..HIS_Guest at MIT-MULTICS
Subject:  Re: TELECOM Digest V3 #24

Reply to Granger.RS%UCI@USC-ECL

I think that the lesson here is to not use the direct Calling Card
entry until Bell prices it appropriately. If you are paying for the
operator, use the operator.

          Paul

End of TELECOM Digest
-------