Date: 20 Sep 1983 1049-PDT
From: Jon Solomon <JSol@USC-ECLC>
Subject: Duplicate issues

Some of you received more than one copy of TELECOM.  This was due to a
mailer problem which (we hope) has been fixed. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 83 13:30:15 EDT
From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl-vld>
Subject: [york:  Re: long-distance carriers]

My reply appears after this forwarded message.  (I can't send it to
the sender because the mail system did not recognize the address.)

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: 20 Sep 1983 11:52-EDT
From: york at scrc-vixen
Subject: Re: long-distance carriers
To: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl-vld@mc>

Well, the MCI ads now say that they can reach EVERY phone in the
country.  Try calling your MCI rep again.

----- End of forwarded messages

What do you mean, "reach EVERY phone in the country"?  Do you mean the
points I call or the points I am calling FROM?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 83 15:09:49 EDT
From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl-vld>
Subject: MCI

The nuisance part of my phone bill I was trying to deal with is
credit-card calls from work back to where I come from.  In Maryland, I
have been told that an MCI credit card account would require my
calling from Baltimore.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 83 14:38:53 EDT
From: Ron Natalie <ron@brl-vgr>
Subject: MCI to Aberdeen.

Carl, have you checked recently.  MCI picked up Aberdeen through a Bel
Air number about a year ago.

-Ron

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!ihuxm!cmsj%harpo@BRL-BMD.ARPA
Date: 19 Sep 83 10:01:37 EDT (Mon)
From: decvax!harpo!ihnp4!ihuxm!cmsj@BRL-BMD.ARPA
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest   V3 #58

Regarding the question on Enterprise numbers:

Some things die very slowly in thhe Bell System.  Enterprise numbers
were/are the early form of "800" service.  There are those customers
out there who are quite happy with their Enterprise service and have
no desire to "upgrade" to 800.  Besides, 800 usually costs more and
Enterprise service can be made more "local" in the sense that only one
(or at most a few) TSPSs have to maintain paper records (Enterprise
numbers translate into plain old telephone numbers, hence the lookup.)
                              Chris Jachcinski
                              Bell Labs, Naperville, IL

End of TELECOM Digest