Date: 23 Sep 1983 1426-PDT
From: Jon Solomon <JSol@USC-ECLC>
Subject: Archives

I have the archives split between two machines, for disk space
reasons, so if you are looking for a particular group of messages it
would be helpful if you knew the dates of the messages as well.

The archives are located on USC-ECLC and on SRI-CSL, note:

   File on SRI-CSL material distributed between

   <TELECOM>VOLUME-1.TXT 12 June 1981 and 31 December 1981
   <TELECOM>VOLUME-2.TXT 1 January 1982 and 31 December 1982

   File on USC-ECLC

   PS:<JSOL.TELECOM>TELECOM.RECENT 1 January 1983 to Present

Please note that you do need to login to FTP files from SRI-CSL and
USC-ECLC. We provide an account named ANONYMOUS, which you log into
with any password (you must type a password). People who cannot obtain
copies of files themselves may request copies of the file by sending
mail to TELECOM-REQUEST at USC-ECLC

------------------------------

Date: 23 Sep 1983 09:03:43-EDT
From: prindle at NADC
Subject: RENs and WWV number

I have two questions:

#1) All the various FCC registered equipment has a Ringer Equivalence
Number.  How can one translate the 0.6A and 2.3B, etc., into something
that will determine the maximum amount of equipment which may be
connected to one line?  What do the numbers and letters mean and what
happens if the maximum is exceeded?

#2) Some years ago, I read (maybe not on this list) of a number in
Port Bliss, Texas (915-568-1313) which was connected to a radio
reception (sometimes good, sometimes bad) of the WWV time broadcast.
The number had, and still has, the unusual characteristic of not
appearing on the caller's long distance phone bill (at least for calls
of a minute or two).  The number appears to simply be a centrex (or
whatever) extension at a military base.  Is this behaviour intentional
or accidental, and if intentional, who picks up the bill?

                                                Frank Prindle
                                                Prindle@NADC

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Sep 83 22:41:26 PDT
From: edh%ucbdali@Berkeley (Edward Hunter)
Subject: Long distance phones services

Now, that I have moved across the country from most of the people I
know it is time to become concerned about my long distance phone
bills.  Consequently, I would like to join one of the various long
distance services.  What I would like to hear from the people on the
list is their feelings good or bad about any of the services.  So with
that let the flaming begin.  Thanks in advance.
-edh

[I, too, would like to have a complete LIST of all long distance
carriers and their charges to compare with, but please, TELECOM is
*NOT* a forum for advertising. Personal opinions on quality of
connection are welcome. Perhaps someone will volunteer to make such a
list? --JSol]

End of TELECOM Digest