Date: Fri, 30 Sep 83 17:53 PDT
From: Gloger.es@PARC-MAXC.ARPA
Subject: Phone Wiring General Info?

Gentlemen,

Can any of you say where one can find general information on wiring up
residential and small business telephone systems?  Stuff like 2-wire
and 4-wire circuits, and where on the red/green/yellow wires are the
audio and the ring signals, and where on the old and the new style
phone connectors are those signals, and what are the
voltage/current/frequency characteristics of the signals, and do
multiple phones at the same number get wired in parallel or serial?

What I'd like to find is something like a small book or a magazine
article or a pamphlet which covers the subject.

(Seems like this info. should be easy to find in a library or an
electronics hobby store or a phone store, but also seems like it's not
really there.  Is that maybe a consequence of the long monopoly that
Ma Bell had even on wiring inside the home or office?)

If there's a good answer to this, it'd be a blessing if you'd send it
to TELECOM Digest.  If no good answer, I'd very much appreciate
hearing so directly.

Thank you, Paul Gloger <Gloger.es@PARC-MAXC.ARPA>

------------------------------

Date: 2 Oct 83 16:14-EST (Sun)
From: Steven Gutfreund <gutfreund.umass-cs@Rand-Relay>
Subject: Bell Breakup

Lauren doubts the wisdom of the AT&T breakup since it will lead
inevitably to higher personal costs of phone use. This is based on the
belief that the phone service providers in their race after large
businesses will dump costs off on the residential and small business
customers. (If I have paraphrased badly, I apologize)

My question is this: why should the packet of bits I (a residential
customer) want transported from one location to another, be a less
lucrative commercial business than that of a fortune 100 customer?

There are many ways to turn a buck in business. Sometimes the hardest
buck to turn are those big sales to the big companies. Look that the
trouble Sattelite Buisness Systems has had getting costumers. On the
other hand, the Pet Rock people went after the mass market consumer
and made a bundle.

Residential phone service is a lucrative commercial venture because of
the incredible volume, and potential for growth in needs and services,
(teletext, etc, home banking, bullitin boards, swap shops, etc.)

I would like to see the support for the contention that residential
and small business phone service is going to degrade or become more
expensive merely on the grounds that it is somehow "less economically
lucrative".

                         - Steven (Roi de Soleil) Gutfreund

------------------------------

Date: 3 Oct 83 18:23:23 PDT (Monday)
Subject: Re: High speed modems for switched network
From: (Larry Kluger) Kluger.PA@PARC-MAXC.ARPA

I have had good personal experience with Codex model LSI 24/24 modems
for use over the DDD network.  The modems are full duplex synchronous
at 3200 bps.  If the modems detect circuit degradation, they fall back
to 2400 or 1800 bps.  An asynchronous adapter is available.

My company has used the modems for daily communication between our
Palo Alto, CA and Japan locations without serious problems.  Japan
makes a trans-pacific phone call and it all works.

The modem uses a non-standard protocol so it can't talk to any other
type of modem.  The modem can be used with an RJ-11 jack and a
standard 500 or 2500 phone for auto-answer and for originate.

The modem's list price is $2650 each. (last time I checked)

Larry Kluger

------- p.s. to the moderator:  Please edit this msg if parts of it
aren't "appropriate" for ARPA distribution.

------------------------------

From: Jo <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBOndlADC

Has anyone had any reason to believe that it is possible to exceed the
limit on the amount of equipment which can be placed on one line?  The
ringing generator in a C.O. ought to be able to handle quite a bit,
and the duty cycle should not be enough to burn out your pair in the
cable, but it does seem that there might be a limit.

#2) The "official" WWV number, 303 499-7111, is fed directly from the
NBS in Colorado, and does go off hook.  There are a number of numbers
at various military bases, some of which go off-hook, and some of
which don't.  The one at Fort Bliss doesn't, so as far as the phone
company is concerned, the call never answered.

Obtaining information by wire without paying the lawful charges is
called fraud by wire and is considered a felony by the Federal
government and most state governments.  Whether it's the caller or the
person who wired up the number so that it doesn't go off hook (or
both) who will lose the right to vote is up to the courts to decide.

Calling WWV is less accurate than picking it up off air due to the
unknown length and other characteristics of the transmission media
involved in a call.  In fact, I called the 303 499 number with three
way calling and could here the difference between the two calls.
   --------
 3-Oct-83 20:20:33-PDT,1639;000000000001 Return-path:
<RSX-DEV@DEC-MARLBORO> Received: from DEC-MARLBORO by USC-ECLC; Mon 3
Oct 83 20:18:28-PDT Date: 3 Oct 1983 2306-EDT From: John R

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 83 19:25:05 PDT
From: jlapsley%D.CC@Berkeley

   As far as telephone operating companies listening to their
subscriber's lines, I would like to present the following bit of
federal law, from section 605 of the Omnibus Act (section 2511 of
Title 18, U.S.C.):

        "(2)(a)(i) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter
        for an operator of a switchboard, or an officer, employee,
        or agent of any communications common carrier, whose
facilities
        are used in the transmission of a wire communication, to
        intercept, disclose, or use that communication in the normal
        course of his employment while engaged in any activity
        which is a necessary incident to the rendition of his
        service or to the protection of the rights or property
        of the carrier of such communication."

   So, I suppose it is a matter of interpretation.  As long as the
telco can defend it's listening because it was protecting its rights
or prop- erty, then it would seem to be legal.

                                                Phil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 83 12:36:34 EDT
From: Ron Natalie <ron@brl-vgr>
Subject: Third Party Billing

Wrong.  C & P telephone, while it has been doing third party billing
verification from pay phones for a long time, sent out little
brochures saying "He's got your number, and you've got his bill."  The
pitch was that they were getting rid of third party billing in March
and therefore you should sign the card and return it to get a calling
card.  I haven't actually tried making a third party call here since I
very dutifully returned the form and got the calling card.

-Ron

End of TELECOM Digest