Date: 11 Oct 1983 2054-PDT
From: Jon Solomon <JSol@USC-ECLC>
Subject: ARPANET/MILNET Split problems

With the split of the ARPANET and MILNET on October 4th of this year,
mail system maintainers were told to implement gateway routing for
mail, for the day when ARPANET and MILNET become completely separate
communities, connected only by those sparse mail gateways.

With such changes come problems, and since the split, most MILNET
subscribers haven't received a single TELECOM digest. Hopefully that
is now over and we can all once again enjoy our news digest. Also, an
interesting point is that the USENET feed for fa.telecom (the news
group which distributes TELECOM) is on MILNET, so you USENET
subscribers have not received any digests either!

You can now all submit to TELECOM as well. Submissions are to be sent
to the follwing addresses:

ARPANET: (net 10.)  mail to TELECOM@USC-ECLC
MILNET:  (net 26.)  mail to TELECOM@USC-ECLB
USENET:		    mail to ...brl-bmd!telecom
                        or ...ucbvax!TELECOM@USC-ECLC
CSNET:		    mail to TELECOM@USC-ECLC (same as ARPANET)

Mail to the TELECOM-REQUEST address at either ECLB or ECLC should work
also, for communications with the moderator (me).

For you MILNET subscribers. Send me mail at TELECOM-REQUEST@USC-ECLB
with the issue numbers you are missing and I will remail them to you
out of the archives.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Oct 1983 1421-PDT
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest   V3 #72
From: Ian H. Merritt <MERRITT@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Schuttenberg:

It is not actually the tone which causes disconnection, but rather the
fact that during the tone, the two ends of the data connection are
separated.  You can't solve the problem by defeating the tone, but you
can defeat the feature by the use of another feature.  If you have
call forwarding, simply forward your calls to another number or
perhaps a busy-test number.  If you have 3-way, you can also defeat
it, but the process is a bit more obscure.  First call something on
the primary circuit that will not dump you, such as a non-answering
busy-test on another exchange, or a disconnect recording.  When the
connection is established, flash into a 3-way dial-tone and call your
computer.  DO NOT FLASH AGAIN.  This method will cause callers to your
line to get a busy signal, and you will not be dumpped off the
computer.

The forwarding method is preferred, as it doesn't tie up a 3-port
conference circuit and an extra outside trunk for the duration of the
call.

                                                <>IHM<>

------------------------------

Date: 11 Oct 1983 1545-PDT
From: Lynn Gold <FIGMO at KESTREL>
Subject: Call Waiting on Data Lines

Call waiting DOES disconnect a data line when the beep from the
incoming call comes through.  I recommend getting another line (if it
is a viable option for you).

--Lynn

------------------------------

Date: 12 Oct 1983 10:04-PDT
Subject: Crank-phone disconneted.
From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow

USA TODAY, Monday, October 10, 1983.

By Larry Gilbert

BRYANT POND, Maine -- People here and in nearby Woodstock will be able
to reach out and touch the world Tuesday -- without having to crank up
their phones.

The last hand-crank system in the USA will be replaced by 529 dial and
touch-tone telephones.  Not everyone is happy.

"The phones held this town together," said the Rev.  Linwood Hanson,
paster of the Baptist Church.

The old crank system centers around a museum-piece switchboard manned
24 hours a day in Eldon Hathaway's living room.  Operators provide
wake-up calls and general information on the town's activities for
$3.50 a month.

F. Robert Jamison, managers of Oxford County Telephone & Telegraph is
behind the change.  he bought the old system in 1981 for $50,000.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Oct 83  17:46 EDT (Wed)
From: Christopher J. Tengi <TENGI@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: Call Waiting on Data Line

It is true that call waiting can cause problems when a modem is being
used on the line, although you may not be disconnected.  When I first
got my phone (from good old NJ Bell), I had the call waiting feature
included since there was no additional service charge.  I have a Vadic
3400 series modem that I use to hook up to Rutgers and every now and
then I would notice strange things happening to my terminal screen.
One time I decided to listen in after the screen got messed up and
sure enough, I heard the second call waiting beep and the screen had
more garbage on it.  This was most annoying while editing as the beep
caused bogus characters to be entered into the buffer.  I don't know
of any device to mask the beep, so I just punted the service instead.

                                        /GTen

End of TELECOM Digest