Date: 8 October 1983 00:33 edt
From: Dehn at MIT-MULTICS
Subject: Third Party Billing

>From an insert in my June bill from Southern New England Telephone:

 "Starting July 19, 1983, on all phone calls originating in
  Connecticut billed to a third number, our operators will call
  the billed number for authorization BEFORE completing
  the call."

Yes, this applies even from residence phones, and even if the billed
number is out of state.

                                     -jwd3

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 83 7:50:31 EDT
From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl-vld>
Subject: intercept "not in service yet"?

Suggestion at U of Del (Newark, Del.) that intercept be placed on the
(not-in-use-yet) 302-451 exchange to tell callers to use the old
numbers; no plans to implement suggestion, however.  (1983-84 student
directory printed the new numbers, which won't be in use till
December.  This is 1st I have heard of 302-451.)

------------------------------

From: genrad!rob%decvax@BRL-BMD.ARPA
Date: 6 Oct 83 06:48:21 EDT (Thu)
From: decvax!genrad!rob@BRL-BMD.ARPA
Subject: ComKey 416

I have a friend with a small business who asked for my advice on his
phone system.  He currently has 6 touch-tone 6 button key-set phones.
AT&T has advised him that as of the first of the year he can continue
to lease what he has a yet undetermined rate, or lease or purchase a
new system.  His current system has a grey box (3' X 3') in a closet
that does the hold, lights and ringing for his 3 incoming lines.  He
has a separate Bogen intercom that is very old and needs replacing.
Their proposal is to purchase a ComKey 416 system.  These require no
"grey box".  They are $330 per set.  Installation of $27 per set.  To
purchase replacement intercom would be $125 per set if he goes again
with Bogen.  His current intercom has 12 sets but through compromise
could cut back to 10, but 4 of those locations can not have phones due
to unlimited access.  It seems a waste to put a $330 set and restrict
the outgoing calls. Finally he wants to increase to 5 phone lines.
Questions we would like comments on are:
        Is there any recommendation on competing companies?
        Can an intercom be bought from someplace (shack) and added to
416?
        Should he keep the intercomm separate from phone system?
        Is something "new" in the works from AT&T that he should wait
for?  Thanks for your assistance.
        Rob Wood (decvax!genrad!rob)

End of TELECOM Digest