Date: Mon, 10 Oct 83 07:16:50 EST
From: <EEvax.davy@Purdue.ARPA>
Subject: Phone Wiring Info

I purchased a book recently (at the local Waldenbooks store) entitled
"Kiss Ma Bell Goodbye" - I don't remember the author, I think it was
$5.95.  This book describes how to hook up your phone, along with how
to hook up things like answering machines, autodialers, etc.  It is
written in layman's terms, so even the average moron could understand
itt (If I can follow it, anyone can!).

--Dave Curry decvax!pur-ee!davy eevax.davy@purdue

------------------------------

Date: 10 Oct 1983 2011-EDT
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Third Number Billing

Interesting -- yes indeed, SNET is verifying all third number billing.

That's good, I like that.  Most places are still doing that only from
coin phones.  We'll see what happens with the breakup -- one aspect of
the breakup that hasn't been discussed is the fact that the world's
largest private police force (Bell Security) will be split into eight
parts (AT&T plus the 7 regional holding companies).  That huge private
police force was one of the reasons they were able to do third number
billing for so long.

Of course, with billed number screening, operators shouldn't even try
to verify if my number is given.  It's supposed to be rejected as soon
as it is entered.  Still isn't working, but then it was only late last
week that I complained, and today was a day off for Bell.

A good indication that 3rd number billing is NOT being eliminated is
the presence of 3rd number billing in Tariff #1 of the brand new
company.  It would have been a convenient time to eliminate it if
there were any intention of doing so.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Oct 1983 0750-PDT
From: WMartin at Office-3 (Will Martin)

I have no idea if this book is at all worthwhile, or if it contains
the info you are seeking, but the following paperback has been
advertised in the last few issues of the book catalog from Publishers
Central Bureau, the discount mail-order book organization:

Item No. 549360; HOW TO INSTALL YOUR OWN TELEPHONES, EXTENSIONS, AND
ACCESSORIES AND KISS MA BELL GOODBYE by Wesley Cox.  (No info on
number of pages or publisher; 40 line drawings.)  Softbound, $4.95.

Described as "An illustrated guide for consumers who wish to save big
money by installing their own phones and phone accessories.  It's
legal at last, so why not take advantage of the new telecommunications
laws?"

I have not seen this book, only the ad for it.  If anyone has read or
owns a copy, please send a review to the Digest.

Knowing the author and title, any bookstore should be able to get a
copy on special order; this is one of the full-price new books, not a
remaindered and discounted book.

Regards, Will Martin

------------------------------

Date: 11 October 1983 11:58 mst
From: Schuttenberg.Dbu at HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS
Subject: Call Waiting on Data Line

I have the "call waiting" feature on my phone line and would like to
use a terminal on that line. I'm told that the "beep" produced when a
call arrives will invariably cause a disconnect of my terminal. Is
this true, and if so, is there a solution - perhaps a device that will
mask the "beep"? I really don't care whether I'm notified that a call
came in.

End of TELECOM Digest