Date: 16 Oct 1983 0211-PDT
From: STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL
Subject: 1200 baud via non-Bell

For some time I have been unable to get my Hayes Smartmodem 1200 to
recognize 1200 baud handshakes from either the east coast or Chicago
to Los Angeles via SPRINT.  Bell works fine.  It isn't the modem since
another copy of the same modem also just sits there on SPRINT.  The
SPRINT people acknowledge that it's their system, which works ok at
300 but not 1200 baud.  Has anyone had any luck at 1200 baud with any
other non-bell carrier coast-to-coast?
--david--

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Oct 83 15:49:48 EDT
From: Brinton Cooper <abc@brl-bmd>
Subject: Ringing my phone

I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I wasn't around then,
so...

        What are the ways which I can use to ring my own telephone
(e.g., for troubleshooting the bell)?

        I think we're on some kind of ESS, but I'm not sure.  We do
have foreign area exchange service, and Touch-Tone(R) works on our
lines.

        Thankx,

Brint

------------------------------

Date: 16 Oct 1983 1934-PDT
Subject: Re: MCI mail sign-on
From: Ian H. Merritt <MERRITT@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

  Terribly sorry... I neglected to put that information in my initial
message.  The username and password are both 'REGISTER'
                                                <>IHM<>

------------------------------

Date: 17 Oct 1983 0913-EDT
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Dialing arrangements

It may come as a surprise to many people that the rotary dial
arrangement in the U.S. (and most countries) is not universal.  At
least Sweden and New Zealand have different dials:

Interruptions:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Digit:  US 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

        Sweden 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

        N.Z.  9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

Does anyone know of any additional arrangements or of any other
countries which use the Swedish or New Zealand arrangements?

------------------------------

Date: Mon 17 Oct 83 05:49:37-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
Subject: NEED HELP with a modem (INTERTEL MCS1200)

I just acquired a modem, INTERTEL MCS1200 very cheaply, which I am
trying to get to work and would appreciate some help with.

Is there someone out there who either has one, has access to a manual
for it, or can give advice with the followig problem.

Note:  I only have a 2 page copy of specs and description, and am
rather
        ignorant with hardware.

DataRate:  sync at 1200 on unconditioned Type 3002 lines and 1800
                on C2 conditioned Type 3002 lines.
                async operation up to 1200 bps on uncond. 3002 and
1800 ...  Data Format:  serial sync or async (strap selected) Op.
Mode:  half or full duplex, 4wire lines Carrier:  switched or constant
Modulation:  FSK Clear-to-Send-Delay:  0 85 + 5ms or 60 + 5ms (strap
selected) Transmit Level:  0dBm to -12dBm adjustable by calib.
potentiometer Receive Level:  +5dBm to -35dBm etc.....

These are the setup and problem symptoms:
        - I hook red and green phone cables to one pair of line
connectors
          and connect it to the second pair with a jumper-wire
        - I connect via RS-232 cable to my H/Z-100
        - the indicator lites test ok
        - the switch to have the modem "self-test" is "frozen" and
can't be
          moved to cause a self-test.
        - the indicator lights come on ok, but when I would expect to
see
          the RTS and CTS lights indicate a "conversation", nothing
happens.
          the lites on are: PWR, DCD, RXD.
        - the jumpers look "right" as far as I can tell without
manual,
          but the modem must have gotten wet as all are corroded
(that's
          why I got it cheap in the first place)

Anyone with advice out there ?

Werner (UUCP:  {ihnp4,ut-sally,decvax!allegra,ucbvax!nbires}
!ut-ngp!werner
          or:  { ut-sally , ut-ngp } !utastro!werner
        ARPA:  werner@utexas-20

------------------------------

Date: Mon 17 Oct 83 11:36:19-EDT
From: Gene Hastings <HASTINGS@CMU-CS-C.ARPA>
Subject: Re: ComKey 416

        Random order of response...

        I thought that intercom was one of the options available on
ComKey.  Am I wrong? (I see no reason, personally why intercom should
be physically separate-the closest to that advice is that even Bell
operating companies sometimes use non-WE equipment, specifically to
add intercom to a 1A2 style key system [central apparatus] since the
WE version is more complicated and costly for small systems.)
        I suggest you check with a few suppliers about what they have
availble. Distributors that have serious product lines include Graybar
(check for your closest)

Buckeye Telephone and Supply Co.
        1800 Arlingate Lane
        Columbus, Ohio 43228
        614/276-8131

Famous Telephone Supply
        PO Box 2172
        Akron, Ohio 44309
        800/321-9122
        216/762-8811

TW Comcorp.
        122 Cutter Mill Rd.
        Great Neck, New York 11021
        516/482-8100
        314/569-2950

                                                Gene

------------------------------

Date: 17 October 1983 16:57 EDT
From: Jeffrey R. Del Papa <DP @ MIT-ML>
Subject: If it ain't POTS, we can't deal with it. (or pre-echo of the
Subject: breakup)

   The local operating company has reached a new low. An only slightly
complex installation order caust great amounts of pain. The order was
for the same service I had 1 year previously. (Two incoming lines, one
with unltd service and several listings, the other with message units,
a hunt group between the two, and one rented phone per line.) The
sevice was ordered in early june for installation on august 28'th. We
picked up our phone for the second line, with only minor problems.
(the service office was far worse than described, and we had to deal
with two of them.)

  To our suprise, the installer showed up on the 28'th, only one day
after the strike ended. he poked around, discovered that on the three
service drops (the previous tenants ran a hifi salon out of the
apartment) one contained our secondary number, one was shorted out
back at the CO, and the third had one of the previous residents
services on it (the service was also installed at their new place.) he
straightened out the wiring, installed one jack, identified each of
the jacks as to which line they contained, and was generaly helpfull.
He claimed that the rest of the CO wiring would occur before 6pm that
day, and left.

 Well of course they didn't manage to get it turned on. Calls to
repair, and the business office produced claims of: It will be turned
on by 6pm today (or occasionly tommorow), there a problem, call (the
buisness office) (repair) there is no problem, your service is
working, and finally we don't have a pair out to your area.

 After one week of daily calling, someone came out and badly
misinstalled a "AML" unit on our outside wall. An aml is a two line
carrier unit that stacks two lines on one pair. the installer
neglected to install any of the weatherproofing, and of course it
didn't work. More calls to repair. great amounts of invective. Get to
know many supervisors and foremen. beat there direct phone numbers out
of directory assistance.  know several of the less competent
installers by name.

  Of course, when they installed the aml in the CO, they disconnected
our number from the out of service intercept. of course our old phone
was shut down, and a referal trap was put on it, and of course it
refers people to the non working primary number. Requsting that they
put our primary number back on the intercept, or on the pair we have
working, or setting the primary line busy, so the hunt circut would
forward, or changing the referal, were disregarded, "because your
service will be working by 6pm today". more invective flowed. It
rained, the AML started recieving a local radio station. I called the
sister of a coworker, that was in the regulatory section of the PUC
(mass). She had one of the people in the complaint section give me a
call. I explained the problem to the person. She failed to understand.
I got questions like "Why do you have two lines? What is a hunt group?
AML?". I handwaved a bit, and gave her my stock of names and phone
numbers. she said she would call them and get an explaination.

  After two weeks had elapsed, the installation manager said that
tommorow morning we would have two supervisors, and a craftsperson out
to your house. at 8am on saturday they arrived as promised. the
craftsperson (who was the one who came out the first time.) rewired
the AML slightly, installed a battery, and flipped the switch inside
from "ship" to "operate". Winnage! two working lines. ringing even. A
promise from the buisness office to not charge for installation. a
promise to credit for message units on the non unltd. line. A claim
that the hunt relay works...

  Three weeks later I call home, and get a busy signal. On a hunch, I
call the secondary line. it rings. On monday I call repair and claim
disfunction in the hunt circut. they make default promise (6pm). they
loose. on the third cycle I am told that the problem is definitely in
the CO. I tell the nice person that I knew that, and that would she
please explain why they didn't fix it. she says "a foreman will call
within 1 hour" this doesn't happen. nor does the line get fixed. On
friday of the following week, we get a call. they are going to fix it,
but they have to disconnect our service to do this. They don't
guarantee finishing before quitting time, and wouldn't we rather wait
untill tuesday, rather than risk loosing our service over the three
day weekend. we agree with them.

   At 8 am tuesday, they call and tell me that they are shutting my
service off. this happens. when I return at 9pm, the service is
restored, but the hunt relay still fails. After calling on wensday, a
repair type shows up at the house on thursday and removes the aml,
changes the carbon blocks in the lightning arrestor, and reverses the
polarity on one of the lines, forcing me to go around and re-wire the
jacks so the touch tone pads work again. The repair person does not
know what a hunt group is, (after rowan explained it to him 4 times he
finally understood, and even thought it was a good idea to have them)
he called the CO and discovered that hunting does not work over AML's,
and that the service order for the office work went in at 5pm. on
friday they finally call and say that it works. they were finally
right.

   I have asked the buisness office to please correct the start of
service date on our phones to reflect the date when the installation
was completed. I also asked again about the formal complaint
proceedings. They handwaved, and said they take them over the phone. I
asked for the address to send the complaint to, and about any special
forms to complain on. the person didn't know but would have a
supervisor call with the info. I wonder if it will happen.

                                                tiredly,
                                                Jeff

End of TELECOM Digest