Date: 20 Oct 1983 1737-PDT
From: Jon Solomon <JSol@USC-ECLC>
Subject: Archive moved (again)

Once again, due to disk space limitations here, the archive file
TELECOM.RECENT has been moved. The new location is SRI-CSL (which
supports ANONYMOUS FTP login). This means that all archives now live
at SRI-CSL.

--JSol

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 83 21:22:28 EDT
From: Margot <Flowers@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: MCI Mail dial-up

     I tried calling the 800-323-7751 number for the MCI Mail
     registry, and got a data tone, but it wouldn't produce
     carrier-detect on my 1200 bps Vadic VA3434.

Even though I was using a Bell 212A modem (UDS line powered), I also
had trouble connecting to them at first.  I got only garbage on the
screen until I reset the parity bits on the dipswitches on the back of
the terminal I was using (Televideo 950, as I remember the manual
called that setting something like "space, no parity" -- I don't have
it here to check.)

     I called the 800-MCI-CALL number to ask about this, and they
     said that ther was no plan to support anything but Bell 212A
     for 1200 bps.

They told me they supported "anything", including Bell 212.  However,
most of the people at 800-MCI-MAIL don't seem to be too informed about
the technical details, i.e. the other ones I had talked to didn't know
what "protocol" or "Bell 212" was, but they glibly told me they
supported "ascii".  There is a technical problems phone number they
display to you when you log on but I neglected to write it down.

------------------------------

Date: 21 October 1983 00:01 EDT
From: Richard P. Wilkes <RICK@mit-mc>
Subject: Md. FX

Yes.  It is out of "Laurel."  Have any alternatives? -r

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 83 8:10:37 EDT
From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl-vld>
Subject: followup on self-ringing

959 does not now yield ringing of my phone on 302-731, which recently
went to different ringing signal.  I checked my notes (derived from
AT&T tape) for Md., and found that 446, 958, 998, and 999 are all
omitted.  This is consistent with their being used for self-ringing.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Oct 1983 0612-PDT
Subject: Re:  MCI Mail dial-up
From: WMartin at Office-3 (Will Martin)

When I talked to the people at 800-MCI-CALL about the Vadic support
business, the first person I talked with was probably marketing or
clerical, and not aware of the technical details or issues.  However,
they connected me with a person who identified herself as "technical
support staff" or something like that, and seemed to know what I (and
she) was talking about.  I didn't note her name, sorry.

Will Martin

------------------------------

From: vortex!lauren at RAND-UNIX
Date: Friday, 21-Oct-83 02:18:05-PDT
Subject: Vadic vs. 212

Of course, a Vadic triple modem calling a 212 will (by necessity)
communicate in 212 protocol.  Interestingly, when a Vadic triple calls
ANOTHER Vadic triple, it will ALSO talk 212!  This is a consequence of
the sequencing algorithm used to differentiate between 103, 212, and
VA3400-style protocols.

It is easy to differentiate between VA3400 and 212 protocols by
listening to the phone line.  VA3400 sounds much like a plain old 103
-- 2 distinct carrier tones, and data can be clearly heard as distinct
sound units.  The 212 protocol sounds more like continuous white noise
-- no distinct data sound units can be heard.  This effect is caused
by the scrambling algorithm used by the 212's.

--Lauren--

End of TELECOM Digest