Date: Tue, 25 Oct 83 00:01:41 EDT
From: Margot <Flowers@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Modem Quality

I have no quantitative data to offer you, but here is some anecdotal
information pertaining to your question.

I have used a UDS 212A 1200 baud line powered modem in a GTE area
which I consider to be noisy:  from 213-393 to 213-206.  (For some
voice conversations in this area, "noisy" is a mild description of the
line quality.)  The only noise symptom I have noticed when using the
modem is maybe once every 10-30 minutes I get a burst of about 2-5
meaningless chars.  This same modem works with no noise symptoms at
all calling from 203-787 to 203-436 (a non-GTE area).

A few times I have tried this modem on long distance calls from
213-393 to 203-436:  on Sprint it does not work but on ATT it does.  I
have tried calling in the reverse direction a few times (203 to 213)
and couldn't get a connection to work on either Sprint or ATT.  But I
haven't tried very hard with either of them.  In fact, I heard so much
noise on the line when I called MCI Mail's 800 number that I was
surprised the connection worked at all.

------------------------------

Date: 24 October 1983  23:28-PDT (Monday)
From: Tony Li <Tli @ Usc>
Subject: MCI Mail

Yes, the MCI system is definitely a Vax under VMS.  I tried to get set
up this evening, and as soon as I logged in, it booted me off with a
disk full error message. (* Sigh *)

Also, I tried the usual ^C and ^Y.  No effect.  Clearly, they have
re-written their driver for the outside lines.  I wonder what bugs
they managed to install?

Cheers, Tony ;-)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 83 23:32:31 PDT
From: jmrubin%ucbcoral.CC@Berkeley (Joel Rubin)
Subject: Re:  TELECOM Digest   V3 #83

I heard someone say that S.W. Bell has surrendered on residential
modem rates in Oklahoma.  Anyone have more definitive info?

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 83 05:09:47 EDT
From: Hobbit <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: MCIMail; the Feds in general

Well, I tried the MCI registry service tonight, and *guess* *what*:

%DCL-E-OPENOUT, error opening
DISK$NP22OEDS00:[MCIAR.PROD.CODEFILES]00690053.UID; as output
-RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
-SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, Exceeded disk quota

They're running it on a vax!!  And gak, look at them filenames would
you.  Naturally, I couldn't ^Y out of the com file.  It looks like
they have a smart front end talking to a downline vax; the front end
actually handles the logins and starts a network file job on the vax
or something. 'Twould be interesting to know just how they're running
such a monster.  Disk quota, indeed.

I've often wondered where to obtain the latest news on FCC laws and
such.  Where are such laws written?  Would the library be a good place
to look?  Thither I went recently to look up a bunch of motor vehicle
laws, and found them in a neat little bound set of volumes entitled
''New Jersey Statutes'' - what else?  Are Federal laws similarly
treated?  I didn't have a chance to look around.  Or would it be
easier to call up the PUC with specific questions?  At the moment I'm
curious about rules concerning RFI and who's responsible, cable
networks, and cellular radio.

_H*

------------------------------

From: parsec!kolstad%allegra@BRL-BMD.ARPA
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 83 18:57:04 edt
From: decvax!allegra!parsec!kolstad@BRL-BMD.ARPA
Subject: 1200 baud via non-Bell

reply to note by STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL

We have no problem accessing almost the entire US through MCI.  We
have no success outside of a few hundred miles with SPRINT.  We use
MCI exclusively for our long distance data connections (typically
40-80 hours/month).

                                Rob Kolstad
                                PARSEC SciCompCorp

End of TELECOM Digest