Subject: L on delete and advanced features.
From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow

Date:  Sat Nov 05, 1983 12:37 pm PST From:  MCI Mail Customer Service
/ MCI ID: 106-0184

TO:  * Geoffrey S. Goodfellow / MCI ID: 103-7391 Subject:  Delete Key
and Advanced Features

        We do not support the delete and backspace keys to delete a
previous character, because those keys may send different messages
when used.  We therefore settled on Control H so we could support all
our users in a uniform manner.  What is probably happenning with you
delete key is that the previous character is being deleted, and also
whatever is on that line is being transmitted.  That is why a control
key will not do anything at that point--those characters are gone.  If
you ever use delete and wonder what really happened to your message,
read your draft (or outbox, if the message is sent.)
        Our advanced services will have a minimum charge for storage
provided, whether or not you use that additional storage.

Craig Customer Service

 5-Nov-83 21:35:14-PST,344;000000000001 Return-path:
<MERRITT@USC-ISIB>

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 1983 08:24:14-EST
From: prindle at NADC
Subject: Toll free WWV

WOW! The so-called toll free WWV number (800-957-9999) now goes
through to Denver local directory assistance (like 411 or 1-555-1212).
The operators there have no idea why, but admit they are besieged with
calls for WWV!

------------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 1983 1231-EST
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: MCI Mail and the 800 number

Since none of their access numbers are local to me, I sent a message
to User service asking if the 800 number would stay in effect.

The answer was yes.

But who knows if user services really knows anything.  I sent them a
fairly long complaint about the behaviour of "delete" -- (try it; I
don't feel like explaining it again).  I basically suggested that they
make delete and backspace work the same.

The response was "Precisely for the reason you have stated (one of the
reasons was that deletes occur randomly as errors, and their response
to delete is bizarre and disgusting) we tell users to use CTRL/H and
do not accept DELETE or backspace."

As most of us know, CTRL/H is backspace.  And a previous reply from
user services had told me that delete was accepted, but that the
character would not be erased from the screen.  And now I've almost
given it all away -- the rest of the bizarre behaviour is that after
delete has been used (or received as noise), neither CTRL/R nor CTRL/H
work properly with earlier portions of the line.

End of TELECOM Digest