Date: 8 Nov 1983 1336-PST
From: Jon Solomon <JSol@USC-ECLC>
Subject: sorry

Yesterday's issue was subject to the typical Digestifier bug.  I know
what the problem is, but I haven't come up with a fix for it.  I can
avoid the problem manually, but like all manual operations,
occasionally something falls through the crack.

--Jon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 83 20:30 EST
From: Dennis Rockwell <drockwel@BBN-Vax>
Subject: MCI delete key

Hmm... last night (at about 2245) I accidentally hit the DELETE key on
my terminal while entering a postal address, and my session wedged.  I
hung up the phone and redialled (using both the local Boston number
and the 800 number), got the modem tone, but I never got any response
to my CRs.  I could believe that, if they use the 800 number routing
features, that both numbers would get me to the same MCI PAD, so is it
possible that the PAD itself got wedged somehow?  I haven't yet tried
to see if there is still a DRAFT (sounds like I'm insulating my
house...).

Did anyone else in the Boston area experience a service interruption
about that time?

Also, I suspect that MCI didn't want to sanction use of the BS or DEL
keys because there are terminals which send some sort of "cursor left"
or "delete character" code when such a key is struck; this would also
be the case for "right arrow" keys.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 83 17:39:11 PST
From: jmrubin%ucbcoral.CC@Berkeley (Joel Rubin)
Subject: 800-9xy-9999

These numbers now all seem to give a recorded message about how they
can't complete the call.  No more Oklahoma City weather, no more WWV,
no more Colorado directory assistance.

------------------------------

Date: 8-Nov-83 09:36:09-EST
From: jmh@BNL

 The lack of RUB, is just one several problems with the MCI Mail
editor.  When editing lines (and they put this in as a "feature") you
must enter 1) the line number 2) the old text 3) the new text.  It
seems they put these three requirements in, so that if you want to
change one word, you can just enter the old word, and then the new
word.  I admit that this is useful, but what about if you want to
change a phrase (5 words) wouldn't be easier just to type the whole
line over? Or how about if you want to change the whole sentence? No
provisions were made for longer editing... To change a line you have
two options:  1) Use Change (and type in old line, and new line) 2)
Delete the old line, and use insert to type in the new line.

 Either way you waste time, either typing in old text, or waiting for
menus to scroll by. (unless you have ADVANCED services)

 The solution seems to be... just use your own editor, or word
processor then upload the message to MCI.  Quite a few people using
MCI will be using Apples, and Ataris, and other lower priced computers
which use ctrl-H, so it is unlikely MCI will do anything about the RUB
key.

 I received a letter in my MCI Mailbox today (which I assume they sent
out to everyone) It informed me that I should type HELP ADVANCED to
find out about their new service.  The first feature they will provide
for $10/month is ** NO MENUS **.  In an average session a user might
see 6 or 7 menus (and 5 or 6 for each letter he types in). These menus
are usually six 80 column lines.  It only took me one day to learn the
my options at each prompt, and now I must wade throguh menus.  It
seems like what they are doing by asking for $10/month is "blackmail."
If we pay them, they won't FORCE us to see menus.  All the other
services listed under ADVANCED, were certainly worth it (e.g. storage,
forwarding, multiple letterheads.)  I, not using MCI Mail for
business, have no use for any of those advanced features.  I am also
not willing to pay $10/month for the "feature" of aborting menus
(which should be standard and expected.)

 The only thing one must consider is the fact that they are not
charging for basic monthly service or on-line charges.  If they were
charging for on-line time, then abortable menus would be demanded by
most users.  I feel that if I send 10 letters a month using MCI Mail,
that they should allow me to skip menus, without adding $120 to my
bill each year.

 If you agree, PLEASE write them a letter (to MCIHELP) and tell them
what you think.  It will take quite a few of us to push them into a
new po

------------------------------

Date: Mon 7 Nov 83 19:07:06-PST
From: Jim Celoni S.J. <Celoni@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: HELP ADVANCED

Advanced MCI Mail will be available to users beginning the middle of
November.  The initial service charge is $10.00/month.  If you'd like
to submit your subscription request now, send an MCI Mail message TO:
MCIHELP.

Not sure why you might want to become an Advanced user?

***** "Command:" prompts instead of menus.

As an Advanced user, you get the control and flexibility to enter
commands and options when you want them, the way you want them.

Create a mailing list with everyone's name on it -- and send your
message TO: the listname.  A single entry -- but everyone on the list
gets the message.  A list can have any number of electronic and postal
addresses alike.

***** Avoid the multiple listing for similar names; create a personal
"address book".

If you always have to select your Joe Smith from the display of other
Joe Smiths on the system -- create a mailing list just for Joe's name,
and use it every time you need to address him.

***** Forward a message to someone else.

When you want to pass along some information you've received, you can
forward a copy of the message, including a "cover letter" from you
with your own comments about what you're forwarding.

***** Choose a different "style" of correspondence.

In addition to the business-letter style on MCI Mail, you can opt to
send a more casual MEMO, where the paper copy looks just like the
electronic copy, with the complete envelope including all TO and CC
recipient names.

***** Use another letterhead, another signature.

An Advanced user can register additional signature and letterhead
graphics.  Add the personal yet professional touch to your MEMOs and
LETTERs using a logo and signature that reflect a formal or informal
style.

***** A bigger Mailbox, with longer message retention.

Advanced service allows up to 250 kilobytes of storage, as well as 5
days' storage for your messages and DRAFTS.  If you need more storage,
we'll increase your Mailbox by another 250 kilobytes at $10/month;
there's no limit to the size Mailbox you may have.

End of TELECOM Digest