[net.music] Siouxsie & The Banshees info request

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (06/25/85)

A friend and I are both interested in getting some albums by Siouxsie And
The Banshees, but we've heard very little of their music so we don't know
where to start.  We'd be grateful if somebody who is familiar with them
would send me or post a list of their albums along with some comments on
each.

I've heard their "Hyaena" album once, and I was very impressed.  My friend
got interested after hearing an album that he thinks is made up of songs from
older EP's, plus a bit of previously unreleased stuff.  He can't remember the
name of it.

Thanks in advance.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

rance@cornell.UUCP (W. Rance Cleaveland) (07/05/85)

> A friend and I are both interested in getting some albums by Siouxsie And
> The Banshees, but we've heard very little of their music so we don't know
> where to start.  We'd be grateful if somebody who is familiar with them

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the album, but a friend of
mine had their album which had "Hong Kong Garden" and "Christine" on it, and
I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Alas I've been unable to find a copy for myself....

Rance Cleaveland

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/06/85)

> A friend and I are both interested in getting some albums by Siouxsie And
> The Banshees, but we've heard very little of their music so we don't know
> where to start.  We'd be grateful if somebody who is familiar with them
> would send me or post a list of their albums along with some comments on
> each.
>
> I've heard their "Hyaena" album once, and I was very impressed.  My friend
> got interested after hearing an album that he thinks is made up of songs from
> older EP's, plus a bit of previously unreleased stuff.  He can't remember the
> name of it.  [JEFF RICHARDSON]

"Hyaena" is their latest album.  The album he is probably referring to
consisting of singles is called "Once Upon A Time".  The "Once Upon A Time"
Banshees video collection contains most songs from the album plus "Red
Light", a classic dirge-drone tune that uses a Polaroid camera as a rhythmic
"percussion" instrument (and it's cheap---I picked it up for $20:  9 videos!)
I'm not aware of any album that contains unreleased stuff, though there
is a double 7" by Siouxsie and Budgie called "Wild Things by the Creatures"
which is supposedly unfindable (if anyone knows where I can find a copy PLEASE
let me know!).

If you shop smart at record stores, a few of the older Banshees albums (most
notably their best albums, "Kaleidoscope" and "Juju") are "cutouts" that
should cost no more than $3.99 .  Geffen Records, their new label, bought
rights to the old albums and they are now pressing them, so many overpresses
of the old albums on the old label exist and are available. (This includes
the live album "Nocturne", which is of varying quality.)

A brief and incomplete discography and recommendations:
	(*) = recommended highly   (X) = track is on "Once Upon A Time"

THE SCREAM:	Hong Kong Garden (X)
 (**)		Helter Skelter (*)
		Mirage (X,*)
JOIN HANDS:	Lord's Prayer
 (*)		Playground Twist (X)
KALEIDOSCOPE:	Happy House (X,*)
 (****)		Christine (X,*)
		Desert Kisses (*)
		Paradise Place (*)
		Red Light (*)
JUJU:		Spellbound (X,*)
 (***)		Arabian Knights (X,*)
		Night Shift (*)
		Monitor
		Halloween
KISS IN THE DREAMHOUSE:	Slow Dive (*)
 (*)			Painted Bird
HYAENA:		Running Town (*)
 (**1/2*)		Dear Prudence (*)
		Dazzle (*)
		Swimming Horses

Suffice to say "Kaleidoscope" would be on my desert island list if I had to
make one up.  They started out as a seminal punk band and literally defined
the dirgy neo-psychedelic punk sound made famous by the Psychedelic Furs and
such on albums like "Kaleidoscope" and "Juju".  They really have been
as good a band as "Hyaena" would indicate.

(Note that their guitarist for those albums was John McGeoch, who had been
the guitarist for Magazine prior to that and that's another band worth
checking out:  sort of jazz-punk with tinges of electronic noodling, with a
heavy influence from Roxy Music.  Also the guitarist on "Hyaena" is Robert
Smith of the Cure.  The Cure are sort of contemporaries of Joy Division and
Siouxsie & the Banshees with a flair for aural texture ("Seventeen Seconds"
album).
--
Like a turban (HEY!), worn for the very first time...
			Rich Rosen   ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (07/08/85)

There is a Chinese restaurant in Boston called Hong Kong Garden (not too
surprising).  But, there is a Japanese restaurant in SF called Happi House
(spelling's off, but still)...

Please forward other instances of Oriental restaurants named after Siouxsie
songs.

allyn

"there's this great Thai place called Metal Postcard..."

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (07/10/85)

In article <6271@ucla-cs.ARPA> reeves@ucla-cs.UUCP (John Reeves) writes:
>HK Garden comes from the Banshees first record _The Scream_ (their best)

Don't know where you got your copy of The Scream, but mine (which I got in
London) and the one currently relased on Geffen in the U.S. does not
contain Hong Kong Garden.  It was their first single, released before The
Scream.  Incidentally, quite strange that you should know so much about the
group and not know of the existence of Once Upon A Time/The Singles.

megdcs@mb2c.UUCP (Don Sortor) (07/12/85)

> A friend and I are both interested in getting some albums by Siouxsie And
> The Banshees, but we've heard very little of their music so we don't know
> where to start.  We'd be grateful if somebody who is familiar with them
> would send me or post a list of their albums along with some comments on
> each.
>
> I've heard their "Hyaena" album once, and I was very impressed.  My friend
> got interested after hearing an album that he thinks is made up of songs from
> older EP's, plus a bit of previously unreleased stuff.  He can't remember the
> name of it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
> {linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff
> {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!dciem!jeff

Siouxsie & The Banshees have three albums that I know of.  I don't know the
record label or their names off hand, but if it will help I do know that they
were imported to the U.S. on the JEM record label.

They also had a great single that came out in 80 or 81 called HONG KONG GARDEN -
a must listen to if you're a Banshee fan.

reeves@ucla-cs.UUCP (07/14/85)

>> A friend and I are both interested in getting some albums by Siouxsie And
>> The Banshees, but we've heard very little of their music so we don't know
>> where to start.  We'd be grateful if somebody who is familiar with them
>
>For the life of me I can't remember the name of the album, but a friend of
>mine had their album which had "Hong Kong Garden" and "Christine" on it, and

Sorry, but HK Garden and Christine aren't on the same record (unless
Polydor (?) came out with a greatest hits LP).  HK Garden comes from
the Banshees first record _The Scream_ (their best), and Christine
was at least two years later.  As for recommendations, get _The_Scream_
and avoid Join_Hands.

  John Reeves
  Computer Science Department  UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!reeves
  A.I. Lab, 3531 Boelter Hall  ARPA: reeves @ ucla-locus
				(soon) reeves@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

rance@cornell.UUCP (W. Rance Cleaveland) (07/18/85)

> >> A friend and I are both interested in getting some albums by Siouxsie And
> >> The Banshees, but we've heard very little of their music so we don't know
> >> where to start.  We'd be grateful if somebody who is familiar with them
> >
> >For the life of me I can't remember the name of the album, but a friend of
> >mine had their album which had "Hong Kong Garden" and "Christine" on it, and
>
> Sorry, but HK Garden and Christine aren't on the same record (unless
> Polydor (?) came out with a greatest hits LP).  HK Garden comes from

This album definitely had both songs on it (as well as "Arabian Nights"
(sp?)), and come to think of it I believe it was a greatest hits album.
My friend is British, and he bought the album in England, so maybe this
has something to do with it....

Rance