Date: 20 Dec 1983 2105-EST
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: National Airport

Sorry Ron, but National Airport really is in Virginia.  Some time ago
it was defined to be part of the federal establishment so that they
could serve liquor by the drink, but that's no different than Fort
Leavenworth in Kansas.

The other public phones are all in exchanges which have a place name
of Arlington, Virginia, and from which Intrastate rates apply on calls
to points within Virginia.

There's a more interesting concept here, though.  An MCI customer who
lives in Arlington and calls an MCI access number inside the District
will be making an interstate call as far as MCI is concerned even if
he calls Richmond.  MCI, under the current access arrangement, has no
way of knowing whether the customer is actually in Virginia, Maryland,
or the District when they get the call.  The same situation exists if
a customer calls an access number in Memphis, Tennessee from West
Memphis, Arkansas and then calls Little Rock.

With the new access arrangement where MCI gets the number of the phone
making the call, or from these coin phones which certainly identify
themselves, MCI knows exactly what is going on.

This is not the same as the situation with offering calls from Orlando
to Miami and claiming that they are interstate because the call goes
through Atlanta.  I don't know how that one finally got resolved.

Someone should simply call the Virginia Corporation Commission and ask
them what the tariff is for intrastate calls provided by MCI.

(By the way, the West Berlin analogy may have implied something which
is not true.  West Berlin is not a part of West Germany; it is still
an occupied city, controlled by the U.S., the U.K., and France.  This
is bizarre, but then most of the postwar arrangements between Stalin
and the U.S. are.  Lufthansa, the German airline, does not fly to
Berlin -- only Pan Am, Air France, British Airways, and Dan-Air
(another British airline) fly there.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 83 8:19:06 EST
From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl-vld>
Subject: more on Va. pay phones

I did have pay phones in mind when I wrote about National Airport.

I take it I would find Va. phone #'s in use on pay phones in the
Pentagon, where the office phones (prefixes 69x), although located in
Virginia, can only be reached with area code 202.

I have been at Dulles airport and have seen pay phones on the 661
exchange (was or is beyond DC calling area) and on 471 exchange to
provide DC metro service.  I believe 471 is a pseudo- foreign exchange
(place name Vienna, actually Herndon at Vienna rates), which I don't
normally expect to find on a pay phone.  (E.g. Aberdeen, Md. has
prefixes 301-272, 273, 278 and, for Balt.  metro, 575, and it's
272-9xxx you'll find on pay phones there.)

------------------------------

Date: 21 December 1983 09:11 est
From: LSchwarz.Activate at RESTON
Subject: Location of Wash Natl Airport

Sorry, Ron... I have doublechecked with the Airport Adminstrative
Office and they say the airport is located inside the Virginia border
line.  Only Potomac River between Washington DC lines north and south
are under the jurisdication of the DC government.  Also, I have
triplechecked by looking on the map and it shows the same answer.
<LJ>

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 1983 1532-EST
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Pay phones in the Pentagon, at Dulles, and at BWI

Yes, pay phones in the Pentagon would be in the Arlington exchange.
The Pentagon is part of the Defense Department's phone system, which
was in place long before the Defense Department moved across the
river.  The main location is still on the DC side of the river; the
phones in the Pentagon are all stations at an alternate location.

The main number for the Defense Department has been LIberty 5-6700 for
ages -- even before there was any direct inward dialing.

The DC Metro Pay Phones at Dulles are paid for by the airport as a
convenience to the passengers.  Likewise the DC Metro phones at BWI.

End of TELECOM Digest