Date: Mon, 26 Dec 83 16:41:53 pst
From: cunningh%CCVAX@Nosc
Subject: PTC'84 preview.

PTC'84, the 6th annual conference of the Pacific Telecommunications
Council meets January 8-11, 1984, at the Shearaton-Waikiki Hotel in
Honolulu.  This year's theme is "Telecommunications for Pacific
development".

The Pacific Telecommunications Council (PTC), is a non-profit
organization dedicated to promoting the development of
telecommunications in the Pacific hemisphere.  Members are primarily
telecommunications multi-national carrier corporations, governmental
PTT's, plus representatives from various and sundry insititutes (e.g.
MITI).  The main thing the PTC does is to hold these annual
conferences, and publish the proceedings.

As usual, the upcoming conference will feature extensive discussions
of policy issues, with only a limited number of technical sessions.

Featured speakers are: Tetsuro Tomita, deputy director-general MPT
Japan; Basil Beneteau, vice chairman Northern Telecom; Olof Lundberg,
director-general, INMARSAT; Colin Franklin, director-general, space
programs and industry development, department of communications,
Candada; Julio Polloni, subsecretaria de telecommunicaciones, Chile;
and Saburo Okita, former foreign minister of Japan.  Comsat, Intelsat
and the CCIT will be represented, as usual; unlike last year, none of
their directors will be featured speakers.

Space in the exhibition hall is sold out.  American Bell, AT&T, GTE,
Hughes, IBM, NEC, Northern Telecom, Pacific Telephon, RCA, Rotelcom,
and Western Union -- among others -- are represented.

I'll be attending part of PTC'84, as a recorder for the Pacific
Science Association Communications and Education Committee
sub-sessions.  I'll post any interesting developments here to the
TELECOM Digest.

If anyone out there is interested in attending, the conference fee is
$375 in advance (payable to the PTC), or $400 at the door.

Bob Cunningham, University of Hawaii

------------------------------

Date: 27 Dec 1983 1120-EST
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: More on the Balto-Wash area

I just called the "Let's talk-we can help" number in Washington (in
case you're not familiar with this - 800 555-5000 gets you the "Let's
talk" number for your local operating area).

It seems that Judge Green decided on 7 December that those people in
the Baltimore-Washington corridor (e.g. Columbia) would be allowed to
continue to have new or existing FX service.

Places to the northwest and south are not included, but C&P claims
that they are looking for a vendor to provide the service so that the
customers will not have their service interrupted.

This seems easy for customers with true physical FX service.  I still
wonder how they plan to serve the customers with "split-office"
service.  Theoretically C&P could assign a trunk group in the split
office to either another carrier or a consortium of carriers.  These
carriers would provide trunks into a tandem inside the metro area.
They would have to provide the same grade of service as C&P provides
now.

It's interesting that this problem will not exist in the New York
Metro Area.  The New York LATA extends all the way to the tip of Long
Island in the East and beyond West Point in the North.  This is
roughly the same distance as from Washington to Philadelphia.

In addition, local service provided across state boundaries which
cross a LATA boundary (such as Tyngsboro, Mass to Nashua, New
Hampshire) are permitted to remain in service.

------------------------------

From: tektronix!tekig1!dont%decvax@BRL-BMD.ARPA
From: decvax!tekig1!dont@BRL-BMD.ARPA
Date: Monday, 26 Dec 83 14:04:30 PST
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest   V3 #122

I am not sure that this deserves to be included in the next digest,
but you might ask around for some substantiation.  I recall reading
that the "blue box" problem was realized when the original concept of
the switching system was on the drawing boards.  The guy who designed
most? of the system is suppossed to be on record somewhere, (inside
bell?), saying that control tones dumped down the line would have the
possibility of siezing control of the system.  This all came to an end
with the ESS.  The system is now capable of detecting this immediately
and logging the information.

  <<< I dont remember where I read this, but I seem to remember that
    this was written by the designer of the system, after the ESS
    installations were well under way. >>>

Don Taylor tektronix!tekig!tekig1!dont

End of TELECOM Digest