Date: 4 Apr 84 02:21:08 EST
From: Hobbit <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: RFI fix revisited

Actually in practice, I wound up using something like 6200 pf
polystyrene caps.  When I'm not hacking, the modem [where the caps
are] is disconnected completely from the line, and I imagine if
lightning ever did strike so as to cause any damage, it would take out
a good deal more than the telco line interface - like *my* *equipment*
[which I would be a good deal more upset about!!].  Telco will fix
their end on their $$, so that isn't really such a concern of mine.
You'd be surprised how robust the ESS line interface is, anyway.  If
it detects anything abnormal it will promptly shut down, isolating
your pair, and check it some delta-time later.  Pshoosh.  The last
time lightning struck anywhere near me, it took out half my stereo,
but the fern never saw a thing.

I agree that ringer capacitances are significantly more ''dangerous''
in this respect than my RFI fix, too.  Furthermore, it turns out that
the Telco RFI filter is just about the same thing as mine, perhaps
with some series RF chokes too.  Some telco guy was supposed to drop
one off over here, but naturally never showed up...

_H*

------------------------------

Date: 4 Apr 84 04:39:08 EST
From: Hobbit <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: 201 folk take note:

The other day, I attempted to call a place in Long Island collect.  I
was told, before any connection attempt was made, that this was
impossible and that the other end would not accept the call.
Momentarily puzzled, I asked the op how she knew that, and she gave me
the old ''flashing button'' story [this is the only error code they
teach you at TSPS!!].  Upon further investigation and talking to the
super, I found that some folks have this automatic rejection ''wired''
on their line.

I then started a long and involved process of finding out how it was
done.  I discovered first that only NYNEX offered it, and it just
plain wasn't so in NJB territory.  I called various places in Nynex to
try and clarify it.  Along the way, I came up with the following
suspicion:

The MCCS database is not just for credit cards.  Along with your PIN,
it contains various bits that tell TSPSen all over the country about
your line, and two of these bits are the ''reject collect'' and the
''reject third #'' control.  What other pool does TSPS reference to
find out these things other than the MCCS database??  If my reckoning
is right, any time you place a call via operator, the forward number
gets its status word yanked from somewhere for reference, and your
card number if necessary.

Naturally, no one anywhere even knew what MCCS was, or wouldn't admit
it.  And no one knew where the wizards were.  It is really frustrating
trying to get technical info out of any Telco.  Therefore, two
questions:  Is my theory about MCCS right, and where is the best place
to turn to ask technical questions whose answers do *not* jeopardize
the company?  And don't say ''President's office'' - they know less
than anyone else.  All I found out was that the service is called
Billed Number Screening, and covers collect call and/or third-number
billed call rejection.

I finally gave up in disgust, after talking to about 10 Bell people
*and* the PUC, and assumed that NJB just plain wasn't offering it
[yet!], and started thinking up an angry flame to send out to Telecom.
Then the next day, some lady from the Consumer Advocate office called
me.  She said that she had gone home that night and ''thought about it
some more'', seemed to remember mumbles about such a system in some
billing meeting, made some inquiries, and found out that billed number
screening actually **does** exist in Jersey!!!  They just won't admit
it, or they haven't announced it to the general public yet.  The biz
office doesn't have any provision for it in their work order forms,
either.  But the service *is* available, and costs nothing [just like
the credit cards, hey??? - I bet *any* service that uses the MCCS
database doesn't cost anything.]  I promptly ordered both for my line.
Obviously the service has been in effect for some time, and they are
holding back on announcment.  The PUC doesn't even know about it.
Why, *Why* are they doing this?  MCCS is already tried and true, and
this is just another use of it.  What are they holding back for?

_H*

------------------------------

Date: Thursday,  5 Apr 1984 11:15:18-PST
From: minow%rex.DEC%decwrl.ARPA@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: Using phone credit cards in Switzerland

While on vacation in Switzerland recently, I was with a friend who
tried to make a credit-card call using his AT&T card.  The Swiss PTT
refused to accept the card from a pay phone, saying it was only valid
from a private phone.  So, at 1 AM, he got into a long discussion with
the hotel manager who was most unwilling to permit using one of the
hotel phones.  (He eventually succeeded, but noone was home.)

The next day, he was able to place his call from the local post
office, but I forgot to ask whether they accepted the credit card.

Martin Minow

Thu 5-Apr-1984 14:14 Maynard Time. Martin Minow MLO3-3/U8,DTN 223-9922

End of TELECOM Digest