[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #68

daemon@ucbvax.UUCP (08/18/84)

From @MIT-MC:Telecom-Request@MIT-MC  Fri Aug 17 14:18:36 1984

TELECOM Digest          Saturday, 18 Aug 1984      Volume 4 : Issue 68

Today's Topics:
                          directory assistance
                     2400+ baud modems and protocols
           International Calling Information in the phone book
    [Once again, LIB: was offline. So if this is your third try at
           submitting TELECOM mail, I feel for you. --JSol]

Date: 11 August 1984 21:10-EDT
From: Ray Hirschfeld <RAY @ MIT-MC>
Subject: directory assistance

SBS's "We've Got Your Number" directory assistance costs $.45 for up
to two requests, according to an insert to my latest bill.  If they
can't provide the number for some reason, they'll charge you anyway.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Aug 84 22:22:36 EDT
From: jalbers@BNL
Subject: 2400+ baud modems and protocols

        I am looking for any and all information on 2400 baud modems
for use over Ma Bell lines between micros, micro to mini, or between
mini's.  I've seen 2400 baud modems adverrtized in places like BYTE
that claim things like '300/1200/2400 Hayes compatable with parcticly
no line lossage at 2400 baud'.  Does this mean 2400 baud has some type
of error check going on?  How about these new Ven-Tel modems that
sport 'variable baud rates'?  What exactly does this mean to the user?
Does the micro also have to support 'variable baud rates?'.  I really
want to know all I can about the modems that operate above 1200 over
standard phone lines.  What kind of 'protocols' do they have, how hard
are they to get running, what considerations the user has to make when
ordering one, and which one is the 'best buy'?

                                         Jon (so many unanswered
questions)
                                             Albers
                                               jalbers@bnl

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 84 12:18:19 EDT
From: Rick Adams <rick@seismo.ARPA>
Subject: International Calling Information in the phone book

I recently needed to look up the country number for the Netherlands.
I looked at the phone book and was astonished to find that it is no
longer there. A little later, I looked a little harder and found it.
Interestingly, the "Maryland Suburban" book has the International
Calling Infromation, just like it alwyas did. However, the "Northern
Virginia" and the "District of Columbia" books did not. (They did have
it in the 1983 edition).

All three of these books are put out by C&P Telephone, so I would
expect them to have the same information.

Which is normal, having the international info deleted or having it
available?

---rick

End of TELECOM Digest