[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #71

daemon@ucbvax.UUCP (08/23/84)

From @MIT-MC:Telecom-Request@MIT-MC  Wed Aug 22 14:41:08 1984

TELECOM Digest          Thursday, 23 Aug 1984      Volume 4 : Issue 71

Today's Topics:
                           NYC area code split
                     N.E.T. before/after the breakup
                         Multi-pair color codes
                          Re:  Loud Touch Tones

Date: 21 Aug 84 21:47 EDT
From: Richard Kenner <KENNER@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>
Subject: NYC area code split

Does anyone know if companies who have large lists of residential
phone numbers (such as banks, brokers, insurance companies, etc.) will
be updating their lists to reflect the 212/718 split?  Is NY Telephone
providing information that would make this easier?  What about
businesses outside NYC (or NYS)?  What about Universities?

It seems to me that some organization (like NYU) which currently has
my phone number but never calls would be exactly the type to not have
to call until the number has been reassigned in 212 so they would get
the wrong number unless they dialed 718.  Should people in Queens,
Brooklyn, and Staten Island try to remember what organizations have
their phone numbers and call each to update it?

------------------------------

Date: 21-Aug-1984 2213
From: covert%castor.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (John Covert)
Subject: N.E.T. before/after the breakup

JSol, I'm not sure your experience is any worse than many I've had
with N.E.T. long before divestiture.

A similar experience several years ago deserves relating.  Our
Corporate Telecom people were surprised to find a fairly large number
of toll calls on one of our Arlington Foreign Exchange lines.

Since we use those lines only for calls to the Boston Metro area, and
since normal users have no direct access to the lines, this was pretty
strange.  N.E.T. couldn't figure out what was going on, and told us
that we must have made the calls, since they were DDD calls,
"obviously" placed from our lines.

One thing we had noticed was that calls to the numbers for which we
were receiving these bills were going unanswered.  They should have
been answered by our attendant.  This raised my curiosity, and I
started calling the numbers at various different times.  Eventually,
one evening, I got an answer.  The person who answered lived in
Arlington and had recently had phone service installed.  She was
getting bills for her local service, but had never been billed for any
of her long distance calls.  And, of course, she hadn't complained.

The final answer was that before this started we had had some of the
lines removed.  N.E.T. had not been able to tell us which lines were
removed.  This was a rather strange method of finding out!  (It was
also a strange method of finding out how separate EVEN BEFORE
DIVESTITURE the toll and local billing accounts were maintained.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 84 03:34 EDT
From: Paul Schauble <Schauble@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: Multi-pair color codes

I seem to recall asking this before, but I can't find the answer in
anything I have on hand.

Does anyone know how the color coding works on multi-pair cables?  In
particular,
  - on two pair, red, green, black, yellow, which is ring and tip?

  - on multi-pair, which of color/white or white/color is ring/tip?

  - is there a preferred order for using the colors?

          Thanks,
          Paul

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 84 11:14:59 EDT
From: Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA>
Subject: Re:  Loud Touch Tones

The reason is that the touch tones really are that loud.  Real
telephones mute the receiver while the buttons are being pressed.  If
you have a standard Western Electric phone, you can tell this by
pushing a button in partially, which causes the mute, but not far
enough in to generate the tone.

-Ron

End of TELECOM Digest