[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #92

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (09/26/84)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@MIT-MC>

TELECOM Digest           Tuesday, 25 Sep 1984      Volume 4 : Issue 92

Today's Topics:
                            1+ handling in NJ
                    Hotel charges - a legal question?
                          Re: Who's bugging me?
                          Communications Forum
                             letter prefixes

Date: 22 Sep 84 00:25:58 EDT
From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: 1+ handling in NJ

   I have heard that most NJ phones won't even shut off the dialtone
   on leading 1+ (and this now has to change).

No, they have fixed that.  They *had* to do that before making 1+
official.  Even the crossbar offices now recognize a leading 1, where
they used to ignore it completely.

800 numbers still don't require 1+.

10 still gets you *immediately* to TSPS [under ESS], so no
preparations for equal access have been made here yet except 950.

I still hate 1+.  It will probably be another 5 years before they
start using any of those n1x or n0x ''exchanges'' anyways!  Feh!

_H*

------------------------------

Date: 22 Sep 84 00:26:27 EDT
From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: Hotel charges - a legal question?

On a number of occasions I have had to call the desk and *ask* what a
given hotel's surcharge policy was, because it was not documented
anywhere in the room.

First, I think surcharges for local calls are a crime, but apparently
it's legal.  *Why* is it legal?  But a better question is: If I am to
pay for something, I have every right to know [without working too
hard] what the bottom line is.  If the hotel will not tell me what
they are going to charge for my calls, could it be shown that they are
infringing on my rights, and therefore invalidate the surcharge?  A
similar situation would be if you stayed a couple of nights and only
*then* found out you were paying $129 per night for the room.

And of course, charges for *picking it up* are entirely off the wall!
What can we, the public, do about this slimy ripoff that is infesting
every city?

_H*

------------------------------

From: decvax!ittvax!ittral!shackelt@Berkeley
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 84 03:20:25 edt
Subject: Re: Who's bugging me?

While it may be possible that the short ring could be the telco
testing your line to see how many ringers you have, ringers don't draw
anywhere near 1 amp unless you have a fog horn. Ringer impedance runs
around 8000 ohms at 60 Hz and less at the normal 20 Hz. The current is
so low in fact that a wet phone line would cause a false reading. Does
your phone ring a short burst on a rainy day? If so you may be getting
a wrong number.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 84 14:34 EDT
From: Kahin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Communications Forum

MIT Communications Forum

THE MIT COMMUNICATIONS PROBLEM

October 11, 1984 4:00-5:30

Marlar Lounge, 37-252 (70 Vassar St.)  MIT, Cambridge

David Clark, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science

A plan to provide a data communication network for MIT has been
evolving over the last several years, and implementation of the
network is now in progress.  Since the MIT campus has a rich set of
requirements, the design of this network provides insights for the
design of other sophisticated networks.

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 84 14:48:00 EDT
From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@Brl-Vld.ARPA>
Subject: letter prefixes

Is there any better way of finding letter prefixes (such as JUniper 5
in Silver Spring, Md.) than roaming hither & yon thru old
publications?

End of TELECOM Digest