[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #94

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (10/03/84)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@MIT-MC>

TELECOM Digest          Wednesday, 3 Oct 1984      Volume 4 : Issue 94

Today's Topics:
                       Hi-tech answering machines
                             thanks, but...
                               FAST Modems
                      Radio Shack answering machine
                              7D in Jersey
               Correct rates for ACCUNET(R) Packet Service

Date: 30 September 1984 02:46-EDT
From: Paul R. Grupp <GRUPP @ MIT-MC>
Subject: Hi-tech answering machines

The top of the line Radio Shack answering machine *DOES* allow you to
pick your code #.  You do so by entering it in the main unit with a
cord connecting the remote while you enter it.  The only possible
problem is if the remote's batterys go OR power go off on the main
unit when it's backup battery is dead then they will NOT talk to each
other.  The remote also has many other features that most do not.  It
is definatly worth looking at.

Regards, Paul Grupp

------------------------------

Date: Monday,  1 Oct 1984 09:57:46-PDT
From: ofsevit%spags.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (David
From: Ofsevit..229-6743..LTN2-2/C08)
Subject: thanks, but...

        Thanks to all who had suggestions on why my phone was ringing
once and hanging up when I answered.  Unfortunately it seems more and
more to be pranksters.  It happens if I let it ring 2 or 3 times, and
lately I have heard talking in the background before the hangup.

        Any suggestions on what I can do about it, short of torturing
every urchin in the neighborhood?

        Thanks again,
        David

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Oct 84 15:37:11 EDT
From: Doug Kingston <dpk@BRL-TGR.ARPA>
Subject: FAST Modems

        I need a information on the fastest available modems for
dialup (switched) telephone lines.  Price is no object.

                                        -Doug-

------------------------------

Date: 1-Oct-84 14:24 PDT
From: Steve Kleiser  <SGK.TYM@OFFICE-2.ARPA>
Subject: Radio Shack answering machine

I have the top of the line answering machine (tad-150?) - the $300
job. I really do like it - but then, I also wish I had beeperless
remote - but at least I HAVE full function remote. This machine DOES
allow the user to change the security code at any time (by plugging
the remote into the machine and setting the code via LCD display).
What I really like is the recording of date and time of each call,
which is then displayed during message playback. With my old machine,
I used to include on the answer message "at the tone, pls leave your
name, phone #, and time you called ..." The people who got used to my
old machine still leave the time - sometimes WAY off (!).

Anyway, I gave up my requirement of a beeperless remote because of the
time feature, which I found in no other unit (at least I never found a
unit with time recording AND beeperless remote). Let me know what you
end up with, OK?

-steve-

------------------------------

Date: 1 Oct 84 23:16:31 EDT
From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: 7D in Jersey

Yes, New Jersey has always been and still is such that you dial the
seven digits within the area code.  [There are exceptions for the
fringe areas next to another area code, where 7D is local to places in
Pennsylvania or across the 201/609 border.  In these cases, if say
you're in 201 and can call 215-344 as local, you'd dial 201-344 to get
344 in Jersey, which, hopefully, is somewhere on the other end of the
area!]

When you think about it, requiring 1+ to get to points within your own
area code is really braindamaged.  If you dial 344-2954, where the
hell *else* is the call going to go, unless you have one of the above
kludges?  If you ask me, NJB has done it reasonably right all along,
and only now is getting bitten by the 1+ stuff because everyone else
is running out of exchanges.  1+, if used, should *only* be an
indicator to the office of ''Ten digits follow'', or if the second
digit is 0, do special things.

Note for 201 people: Ever try 620|630|640-nnnn?  You wind up at some
Washington, NJ intercept whose only job is to ask you what number you
dialed.  Is that a waste of their time and money, to say nothing of
three perfectly useable exchanges??  It might be also noted that those
calls are routed through *non*-CCIS trunks.  No, I didn't tell you
that....

_H*

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!ihldt!jhh@Berkeley
Date: 2 Oct 84 04:08:02 CDT (Tue)
Subject: Correct rates for ACCUNET(R) Packet Service

As suspected, the rates quoted in a previous issue were high.  Having
finally obtained a copy of the Press release, here are the correct
rates:

        $0.82 per kilopacket First 4000 kilopackets (per month)
        $0.77 per kilopacket 4001 to 8000 kilopackets
        $0.72 per kilopacket 8001 to 12000 kilopackets
        $0.67 per kilopacket 12001 and subsequent kilopackets

        $0.34 per kilopacket All non-business-hour usage

Each packet may contain up to 256 bytes.  Access lines cost $470 for
4.8Kbps, $615 for 9.6Kbps, and $1865 for 56Kbps monthly.  The link to
the packet switch must be obtained separately.

John Haller

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Oct 84 16:12 EDT
From: Marshall.wbst@XEROX.ARPA

A phone installer in Webster, N.Y. (Rochester Telephone Company) said
that the local #5 office sometimes scanned all lines looking for
leakage to ground. He said that this might cause a slight noise in the
phone. He was not sure of this though.

--Sidney Marshall

End of TELECOM Digest