[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #112

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (11/05/84)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Sun, 4 Nov 84 22:27:27 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 112

Today's Topics:
                      Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #110
                                DNR's
                          Found on a wall...
                      Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #111
                      Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #111
       Social Impacts of Computing: Graduate Study at UC-Irvine
                             800-352-4731
                       Re: TELECOM question...

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 84 07:35:57 pst
From: hplabs!sdcrdcf!darrelj@Berkeley (Darrel VanBuer)
To: ucbvax!telecom@Berkeley
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #110

Paraphrased from part 68 of FCC Rules and Regulations:
RJ41S  Universal Data jack
RJ45S  Programmed Data Jack

Both jacks offer direct connection to the telephone line, plus contain
a Telco supplied resistor, which in the proper transmitter circuit results
in a local output between -12dBm and -0dBm out, with output at the central
office at -12dBm  (a permissive modem has a fixed output of -9dBm as a
compromise based on distribution of loop losses and desire to limit central
office levels).
A universal jack has a second, switch-selectable circuit which contains an
attenuator chosen so that a -4dBm level at the jack is attenuated to -12dBm at
the central office.  This latter is for "fixed loss loop (FLL) equipment".
An RJ41 jack can be used for any modem (including RJ-11 permissive plugs),
however, I've never actually seen a FLL modem, so an RJ-45 will serve all
likely needs (including permissive plugs).  It's also quite a bit cheaper
than an RJ-41 jack because a single 1/2 watt resistor is much cheaper than
an attenuator.
A programmable-level modem can be converted to permissive RJ-11 plug be
providing a cable containing the -9dBm programming resistor, 5490 ohms.
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.
2500 Colorado Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90406
(213)820-4111 x5449
...{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,orstcs,sdcsvax,ucla-cs,akgua}
                                                            !sdcrdcf!darrelj
VANBUER@USC-ECL.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 84 16:04:37 pst
From: Phil Lapsley <phil%ucbeast@Berkeley>
To: telecom@bbncca.ARPA
Subject: DNR's

     There is indeed such a thing as a Dialed Number Recorder, and your
summation of its function is essentially correct.  Out here in Pac
Bell land, the general usage is to place one on a suspected phone
phreak's line and record all the touch-tone or rotary digits dialed on
the line in question.  The "recording" is not an audio recording,
but a print-out on adding machine type tape.  If a review of the numbers
dialed on the line would seem to indicate fraud, then the device is
set to record the first "n" (generally 2) minutes of conversation,
for "identification purposes".  That is, if somebody makes a fraudulent
call, the telco can then use these tapes in court, presenting an
argument along the lines of "not only did the fraudulent call take place
over his line, but he even identified himself."

     Of course, if the call happens to be a data call, then they have
a tape recording of the first several minutes of your data transmission,
probably with your login and password.  It's anybody's guess as to
whether they actually decode this information or not.

     The legality of this has been extensively established.  The basic
conclusion of the courts is that the phone company has the right to
monitor calls which they suspect are fraudulent, so long as this
monitoring is not excessive (there have been cases of the telco
recording *all* the calls of a person over a month, which the
court felt was a little overboard -- one or two minutes being more
like it), and that such monitoring is used only for the protection of
the phone company (so if they hear somebody making a dope deal in the
first two minutes of the conversation, that's not admissible evidence
because it did not have to do with the telco.)

					Phil
				(ARPA: phil@Berkeley.ARPA)
				(UUCP: ...!ucbvax!phil)

------------------------------

Date: 2 Nov 1984 17:30:30-EST
From: york@scrc-vixen
To: telecom@mit-mc
Subject: Found on a wall...

I tried calling the 800 number that was found on the phone closet wall
from my office in Falls Church, Virginia (near D.C., area code 703).  I
received the recorded message "we're sorry, you have dialed a number
which cannot be reached from your calling area."

------------------------------

Date: Fri 2 Nov 84 20:50:04-EST
From: Keith M. Gabryelski <GZT.KEITH%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #111
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA

I have never heard of DNR, but I think I understand what you are
talking about.  About 6 months ago when I was taking a tour of a local
CO (under 1a ESS) a P-1 was telling me of something of that sort on
ESS.  It seems that when you make (or try to make) a call on ESS, it
(the system) records several things.

	Your number.
	The calling number.
	Whether you dialed TONE or PULSE.
		If the number you dialed was busy.
		If you recieved a "Trunk-Busy" (re-order).
		If the number you dialed Rang-out.
		If someone picked up the phone.
		If you got a "We're sorry, you're a putz.. recording."
			(and what type of recording it was..)

This seems to be the same part of the system that checks for the
omnipotent 2600hz.  If it detects this infrequent (?) tone, it will
drop a trouble card and check for any strange MF tones.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, they do not record any DTMF tones from
your line after you are connected to the number you dialed.  They
actually have no right or reason to do it anyway.  (but ofcourse, they
have no right to listen in on customers calls... err check the line
for clarity while a customer is using the line..)

That last bit reminds me.. let me take you on an excursion for sec..
[Push]-- When I was taking that tour, I noticed speakers on some of
the coners of some walls.  When i asked what they were used for, I was
given some BS about intercom stuff..  I believed them.  Later, when I
was snooping around, I saw/heard a switchman listening to a
conversation through thoughs speakers.  I don't remember what they
said, but I am sure that person just picked a random CP and checked
out the conversation.--[Pop]

	Hope some of that helped..
		Keith
-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri 2 Nov 84 20:53:29-EST
From: Keith M. Gabryelski <GZT.KEITH%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA

     Just when we all thought Pacific Bell and the Los
Angeles City Attorney's office were going to behave like
responsible adults in dealing with Bulletin Board System
problems, they've decided to act like asses instead.

     According to messages left by Tom Tcimpidis and
others, the telephone company brought a great deal of
political pressure to bear on City Attorney Ira Reiner,
forcing Reiner to to prosecute him under a section of the
law involving "Computer and Credit Card Crimes."

     For those unaware of the rather boring history of this
case, Tcimpidis computer system was seized on May 16 of
this year when Pacific Bell discovered what investigators
claim was an illegal credit card number posted on a message
board.  Until recently, however, Tcimpidis was under the
impression that no charges would be filed against him.

     On August 29th, however, Tcimpidis was informed that
the City Attorney's office plans to file charges.  The full
extent of these charges and the laws under which they are
being filed are not currently known.  Tcimpidis, who is
suffering from two broken ankles, said the City Attorney's
office has ided to prosecute him under a new law
involving credit card and computer crimes.

     Lynzie Flynn, operater of a system known as "Lynzie's
Motherboard" has established a defense fund on Tcimpidis'
behalf.  She may be reached through her subscriber
system at (818)980-6482.  Or, checks payable to Lynzie's
Motherboard, with an indication that the donation is for
Tcimpidis's defense fund, should be sent to:

                 Lynzie's Motherboard
                 PO Box 284
                 No. Hollywood, CA. 91603

     Tcimpidis also is asking that computer bulletin board
operators as well as users write to City Attorney Ira
Reiner's office, expressing their opinion's of his actions;
using as few four-letter words as possible.

     In addition, it is important that anyone with copies
of messages appearing on Tcimpidis' system between February
and May 16 of this year to provide him with with a hard
copy of that material.  It can be sent to him at:

        Tom Tcimpidis, The Mog-ur
        P.O. box 5236, Mission Hills, CA 91345
        Voice 818-366-4837  Mog-ur's BBS 818-366-1238

[Re-printed from a local BBS]
-------

------------------------------

Date:  3 Nov 1984 1159-PST
From: Rob-Kling <Kling%UCI-20B@UCI-750a>
Subject: Social Impacts of Computing: Graduate Study at UC-Irvine
To: telecom@MIT-MC

                                CORPS

                               -------

                        Graduate Education in

            Computing, Organizations, Policy, and Society

               at the University of California, Irvine

     This graduate concentration at the University of California,
Irvine provides an opportunity for scholars and students to
investigate the social dimensions of computerization in a setting
which supports reflective and sustained inquiry.

     The primary educational opportunities are PhD concentrations in
the Department of Information and Computer Science (ICS) and MS and
PhD concentrations in the Graduate School of Management (GSM).
Students in each concentration can specialize in studying the social
dimensions of computing.

     The faculty at Irvine have been active in this area, with many
interdisciplinary projects, since the early 1970's.  The faculty and
students in the CORPS have approached them with methods drawn from the
social sciences.

     The CORPS concentration focuses upon four related areas of
inquiry:

 1.  Examining the social consequences of different kinds of
     computerization on social life in organizations and in the larger
     society.

 2.  Examining the social dimensions of the work and organizational
     worlds in which computer technologies are developed, marketed,
     disseminated, deployed, and sustained.

 3.  Evaluating the effectiveness of strategies for managing the
     deployment and use of computer-based technologies.

 4.  Evaluating and proposing public policies which facilitate the
     development and use of computing in pro-social ways.

     Studies of these questions have focussed on complex information
systems, computer-based modelling, decision-support systems, the
myriad forms of office automation, electronic funds transfer systems,
expert systems, instructional computing, personal computers, automated
command and control systems, and computing at home.  The questions
vary from study to study.  They have included questions about the
effectiveness of these technologies, effective ways to manage them,
the social choices that they open or close off, the kind of social and
cultural life that develops around them, their political consequences,
and their social carrying costs.

     CORPS studies at Irvine have a distinctive orientation -

(i) in focussing on both public and private sectors,

(ii) in examining computerization in public life as well as within
      organizations,

(iii) by examining advanced and common computer-based technologies "in
      vivo" in ordinary settings, and

(iv) by employing analytical methods drawn from the social sciences.

         Organizational Arrangements and Admissions for CORPS

     The CORPS concentration is a special track within the normal
graduate degree programs of ICS and GSM.  Admission requirements for
this concentration are the same as for students who apply for a PhD in
ICS or an MS or PhD in GSM.  Students with varying backgrounds are
encouraged to apply for the PhD programs if they show strong research
promise.

     The seven primary faculty in the CORPS concentration hold
appointments in the Department of Information and Computer Science and
the Graduate School of Management.  Additional faculty in the School
of Social Sciences, and the program on Social Ecology, have
collaborated in research or have taught key courses for CORPS
students.  Research is administered through an interdisciplinary
research institute at UCI which is part of the Graduate Division, the
Public Policy Research Organization.

Students who wish additional information about the CORPS concentration
should write to:

          Professor Rob Kling (Kling@uci)
          Department of Information and Computer Science
          University of California, Irvine
          Irvine, Ca. 92717
          714-856-5955 or 856-7403

                                or to:

          Professor Kenneth Kraemer (Kraemer@uci)
          Graduate School of Management
          University of California, Irvine
          Irvine, Ca. 92717
          714-856-5246

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!e.d.mantel@Berkeley
To: ihnp4!ucbvax!telecom@Berkeley
Date: 03 Nov 1984  19:05 EST
Subject: 800-352-4731

This sounds like a beeper service to me.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Nov 1984  03:00 EST
From: GZT.KEITH%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
To:   jsol%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA

Date: Mon 29 Oct 84 21:38:16-EST
From: Keith M. Gabryelski <GZT.KEITH%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Re: TELECOM question...
To: jsol@BBNCCA.ARPA

Thanks very much for your quick reply, I now understand how that all
works.  Expect to see some input from me in the future.

I never even considered the thought of have OCC Phreak related stuff.
I didn't even think there were people on OZ that were using OCCs.  I
thought that stuff was limited to 12 year olds with VIC-20's...

I don't suppose you or anyone you know of has any information on
New England Bells (I think it is New England's) DMS-100 system.  They
seem to of switched over to Non-Bell equipment, instead using General
Electrics Switching system.  I hear-tell it is like ESS, with its
call-waiting/forwarding stuff, but have no idea of how it originaly
came about or why they didn't use ESS.  Also, I was wondering if it
had any special capabilities that ESS does not have.

	Bye Bye,
	  Keith

End of TELECOM Digest