[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #114

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (11/07/84)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Tue, 6 Nov 84 17:21:22 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 114

Today's Topics:
                              LA BBS Case
                        Tone calling intercept
                               DMS-100

Date:  Mon, 5 Nov 84 22:09 EST
From:  "Richard Kovalcik, Jr." <Kovalcik@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  LA BBS Case
To:  TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA

Yes, I believe the explaination is that the number appeared on the BBS
system (long) before the BBS owner went to work for the credit card
number owner.  That is a pretty good explaination in my book.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 84 03:39:30 EST
From: Jon_Tara%Wayne-MTS%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
To: TELECOM%BBNCCA@MIT-Multics.ARPA

     With the discussions about recording called numbers, I thought
this would be an appropriate time to get an update on caller
identification to the called party.  I know this was discussed in
Human-Nets a couple of years ago (and possibly here more recently)
but I presume that equipment availability and laws have changed
in the mean time.

     (We're having a discussion in a legal forum here about it,
but don't have much technical information.  The social aspects
have kept us pretty busy.  If anyone wants to see what *true flame*
looks like, I'll be happy to send out copies of the discussion
so far.)

     Would appreciate any information about available systems,
costs, areas where this might be available now (other than 911),
specific laws either permitting or prohibiting, etc.

------------------------------

From: hou4b!dwl@Berkeley (d.w.levenson)
To: Telecom-Request@BBNCCA
Date:  5 Nov 1984  14:07 EST

Re: The number found on the wall in New Jersey:

The 800+ number you found at Rutgers is the number of a large
radio-paging system in the area.  The code 0480 selects a specific
pager, probably riding around on someone's belt.  The number you
enter after hearing three beeps is displayed (up to ten digits) on
the LCD display of the pager, and is the message to the pagee.  He
or she is probably trying to return your call, by dialing the number(s)
you entered.  After you've entered a message, the system acknowleges
your message by sending 20 more beeps, and then disconnects,
providing a re-order (fast busy) tone.

-Dave Levenson
AT&T ISL
Holmdel, NJ

------------------------------

Date: 06-Nov-1984 1245
From: covert%castor.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (John Covert)
To: cak@purdue.ARPA, telecom@bbncca.ARPA
Subject: Tone calling intercept

Yes, you most certainly do have a right to complain.

The phone company can charge you for CCITT Q.23 (Touch-Tone) service only
if you are going to use it for network signalling to THEIR own switching
systems.

Once you have completed a call through their network, the Q.23 tones are
just data, over which they may not have any control, other than the normal
rules for what can be transmitted.  Q.23 signals are legal data transmission
signals under those rules.

It doesn't matter what you're talking to, a computer at your office or a bank,
another common carrier, a private PBX call extender, whatever, that's not their
bag.

However -- in areas with TRUE equal access (10288 for AT&T, 10222 for MCI) you
do have to pay them to use Q.23 to access those carriers, since you are then
signalling to the local phone company's switch, not the carrier's switch.

But for the 950-10xx numbers or other access numbers, Q.23 is just data, and
is not subject to a charge.  They HAVE to fix that device so that it either
only works when you're trying to signal to them or take it off your line
completely.

You may have to fight this one all the way to the President of your local
phone company!

/john

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday,  6 Nov 1984 12:59:44-PST
From: goldstein%donjon.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Fred R. Goldstein)
To: telecom@bbncca.ARPA
Subject: DMS-100

New England Tel, and many other BOCs, are buying the Northern Telecom
(Not G.E.!) DMS-100 central office as well as Western Electric's new
#5 ESS.  ESS is an AT&T trademark, and AT&T is no longer affiliated
with the Bell companies (did our correspondent forget?) so the Bell
telcos like NET are free to shop around.  Northern is affiliated
with Bell Canada, which long ago spun off from AT&T.

The DMS-100 is a large digital switch.  #1 ESS is analog, while most
implentations of the "new" #5 ESS are hybrids, with an analog crossbar
(solid-state diodes, not metallic) line switch and a digital center.
DMS-100 can handle about 800k CCS of traffic (over 20k simultaneous
calls) and up to about 100k lines in regular service.  It provides
all your usual features, including Centrex and PBX features; when sold
as a PBX, it's called the SL-100.

AT&T Technologies has been slow to deliver full-size versions of the
#5ESS, leaving NT and others a market window.  Analog switching is
hopelessly obsolete, since a digital switch can handle T-carrier,
fiber optics and digital radio transmission media without converting
to analog first.  DMS-100 uses one-line codecs on its line interfaces,
with one line per card mounted in a drawer arrangement.  It's very
compact and not outrageously expensive.  NET will be cutting one over
soon in Newton, Mass (ca. 40k lines) and already has a few running.

End of TELECOM Digest