[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #115

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (11/09/84)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Thu, 8 Nov 84 18:06:17 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 115

Today's Topics:
                             LA BBS Case
                      Wanted: Info on Smart PBX
                          Signalman Mark XII

Date: Tue, 6-Nov-84 16:58:05 PST
From: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA>
Subject: LA BBS Case
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA

As far as I'm concerned, from currently available information, there
are just too many "coincidences" in the case for me to have much
(if any) faith in the BBS operator.  And in any case, I strongly
feel that people must take the initiative to be responsible for the
material on their BBS's in the long run.  If a message hangs around
for a couple of days that's one thing, but for weeks or months?

Some people claim that BBS operators should be immune to having
any responsibility for what's on their boards, and try to use
the USPS and telcos as an example.  However, I claim that a
much better analogy would be a physical bulletin board in a
corporate building, or a newspaper that took classified ads.
In both of these cases, any entity that allowed the use of such
facilities, over a period of time, for the posting of messages promoting
illegal activities would be (and have been found to be) responsible.

The fact that the BBS's do not use a physical medium like a wallboard
or newspaper does not change the fact that they are subject to the
same rules.

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 84 14:19:01 pst
From: jdd@decwrl.ARPA (John DeTreville)
To: Telecom@BBNCCA
Subject: Wanted: Info on Smart PBX

[This may be a repeat article. --JSol]

Here's a question for TELECOM readers:

Are there any PBXs available that can be configured as servers controlled from
some external computer system?  Various vendors seem to be offering smart PBX
stations that integrate some workstation functions, but they still make better
telephones than they do workstations.  Instead of taking this approach, you
could imagine using real workstations that communicated with the PBX over a
LAN , sequencing it through calls, being told of user inputs, etc.  The PBX
would know how to interface with the telephone environment; the workstations or
whatever could concentrate on integrating voice communication into a larger
user environment.

So, does any vendor offer anything along such lines?

Cheers,
John

------------------------------

From: hou4b!dwl@Berkeley (d.w.levenson)
To: Telecom-Request@BBNCCA
Date:  7 Nov 1984  15:41 EST

Dialed Number Recorders are provided by a company called Hekimian.
They are useful in gathering evidence against Phone-Phreaks, in that
they can detect and record DTMF (touch-tone(r)), MF addressing, and SF
supervision signalling.

I'm no lawyer, but I assume that the telco may connect one to a line
at any time they want to.  Having its record admitted as evidence in
a court of law may be more complicated.

-Dave Levenson

------------------------------

Date: 8 Nov 84 17:03:10 EST
From: Eric <LAVITSKY@RU-GREEN.ARPA>
Subject: Signalman Mark XII
To: telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA, info-micro@BRL-VGR.ARPA

Hi,

 I am considering  purchasing an Anchor  Automation Mark XII  modem,
but first I need some more information. I have heard that the  modem
loses in one major respect: it cannot send a break. Is this true, or
has it been corrected in later  versions? Are there any other  major
losses with  this modem?  Does  it give  off a  lot  of RFI?  Is  it
sensitive to outside RFI? How does it handle noisy/weak lines?

 Any other tips/ tidbits of  information regarding this modem  would
be much appreciated.

Thanx,
Eric
-------