[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #119

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (11/15/84)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Wed, 14 Nov 84 16:59:28 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 119

Today's Topics:
                       The LA BBS (Mog-ur) case
                          BBS responsibility
                    Two Sides to the Bulletin Board
                               TARIFFS

Date: 13 Nov 84  02:07 EST (Tue)
From: _Bob <Carter@RUTGERS.ARPA>
To:   mcb%lll-tis.arpa@lll-tis (Michael C. Berch)
Cc:   telecom@bbncca
Subject: The LA BBS (Mog-ur) case

    From: mcb%lll-tis.arpa at lll-tis (Michael C. Berch)

    The real question raised by the Mog-ur case  (regardless  of  its
    specific outcome) is whether we want, as a matter of public poli-
    cy, to hold BBS sysops (and others in similar situations, includ-
    ing,  for  example,  commercial services [The Source, CompuServe]
    and those who post and redistribute Internet/Usenet digest) CRIM-
    INALLY responsible for failing to detect and remove messages pro-
    posing illegal activities.

Simply proposing criminal activity probably cannot be sanctioned
unless the proposal is followed by an overt act.  The difficulty is
specific intent:  How to prove I meant it when I said "Let's steal
the Hope diamond."  Innocently (or even negligently) transmitting
such proposals can probably not be criminally punished either.

Mog-Ur is this kind of specific intent problem.  The substantive
crime (if any) is a species of theft.  As, I see the keys in your
parked Mercedes and, with the intent to deprive you of it, stop
random passersby and point out the opportunity.  Can I still be said
to be guilty if I simply allow the good news to be posted on the
communal bulletin board in my candy store?  Sure, if I had the
requisite intent.  And intent can be inferred from circumstances.
Suppose you had just won the car in a disputed lottery in which I was
the losing claimant, and I had said "Berch won't drive it far."

One problem with Mog-Ur is that the first version of the story was
innocent of any facts from which such an inference could be drawn.
Not so with later versions.  But, as you say, we don't have any way
of knowing what the real facts are.

    Very rarely do our laws impose standards of  affirmative  conduct
    that  result  in  criminal  sanctions  if  they are not performed
    faithfully.

Filed your 1983 income tax?

		These exceptions usually fall into  categories  where
    serious  and  immdiate harm to persons would result: operators of
    dangerous machinery or explosives; manufacturers/sellers of foods
    and  drugs, and so forth. I don't think anyone has a problem with
    holding a drug manufacturer criminally liable for failing to  in-
    spect a batch of product for dangerous impurities.

    Unfortunately, the L.A. prosecutor has misinterpreted the differ-
    ence  between  CRIMINAL  and  CIVIL  standards of conduct.

I have trouble with the drug company, for very reason you mention.
The drug indictment is ordinarily not for failure to inspect, it is
for homicide.  It is this example that confounds civil and criminal
notions of intentionality; the drug company intented to save a buck,
not to kill people.  The prosecutor's confusion in Mog-Ur is more
likely to involve his own qualifications for higher office.
							       If the
    Mog-ur sysop has breached a standard of conduct (and  I  draw  no
    factual conclusions, based on third-hand evidence!) the remedy is
    for the aggrieved party to sue for damages.

The elements of common-law theft are complete when the taker
exercises control over the information, without any demonstration
that anyone ever used the card.  Even if California theft law is very
peculiar, the general law of attempts would almost certainly make a
course of conduct intended as a theft sanctionable.  Should the cops
have to stand by and watch me powerlessly until someone actually
boosts your car?

    This way, both our society's interest in freedom of communication
    and  expression  AND the aggrieved party's property rights can be
    served in a controversial case.   And  ideally,  our  legislature
    could more specifically define a standard of conduct that assures
    that sysops and those in similar positions know what is  expected
    >from  them. Personally, I would rather err on the side of permis-
    siveness, but practically ANY reasonable standard of  conduct  is
    better than having a gung-ho prosecutor try to create a whole new
    class of information-age crimes.

I suspect legislature has acted, not very carefully, and not with
information in mind.  Most "theft of services" statutes are broad
enough to cover the intentional conversion of a telephone credit card
number.  These statutes often try to finesse the specific intent
problem because of difficulties of proof, and usually do it very
badly.  There is a New Jersey section, for example, that makes it a
crime to hack your electric meter with the intent to steal and then
creates a presumption that if your meter is munged, you did it with
the requisite intent.  Think about applying that one to an elderly
apartment house.

Enactments of this kind may well be susceptible to 14th Amendment
due process attack.  That, rather than the First Amendment claims
raised by VAIL, would seem to me the best line of analysis.

_B

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12-Nov-84 23:07:35 PST
From: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA>
Subject: BBS responsibility
To: TELECOM@MC

I'm not so concerned about the telephone credit card case in
particular (though, by the way, validating physical credit cards
from pay phones would *not* solve the problems, since there are
various other modalities of card usage) but I *am* concerned
about the more general BBS issues.

Let's take a couple of more extreme examples, and not necessarily
impossible ones at that:

1) A BBS operator starts up what amounts to a "houses to hit" BBS.
   His anonymous users post information about local homes and businesses
   that have been noted to have "lax" security, and also note the times
   the buildings are unattended, what valuables are inside, and
   recommend possible places to fence the goods if they are "removed"
   from those establishments.  The BBS operator makes sure he never
   knows who posts those messages, and disclaims any responsibility
   when robberies in the area increase 100 fold within a month
   of the establishment of his "information service."  He also
   claims "he never reads the messages on his board--he's only
   providing a public discussion service."

2) A racial "hate" group establishes a BBS to discuss and plan
   acts of destruction and terrorism against various racial
   and religious groups, all anonymously of course.  Both property
   damage and acts of personal, physical violence are
   proposed and planned on the BBS.  The operator claims he has
   no responsibility because he "never looks at the messages."

Both of these scenarios might be occurring right now, though we
certainly hope they are not.  Now the question is, do these
BBS's deserve to be protected?  What about BBS operators who
attempt to use "ignorance of content" as an excuse to establish
and/or promote illegal activities?  In my view, BBS operators would
be subject to much the same rules and penalties as a magazine
publisher when it comes to publication of such materials.  It is
unreasonable for operators to try to absolve themselves of all
responsibility by claiming lack of control of their boards
and lack of knowledge regarding their users.  If nothing else,
BBS operators could screen messages before allowing posting
to public boards.  Oh yes, this would be more work and more hassle--which
is probably why most operators kick and scream at the concept.  Or they
could make sure they've verified all users before allowing posting
to public boards (some BBS's wisely do this now).  But trying to
hide behind the "anonymous" cloak is irresponsible and likely
to promote increasing amounts of abuse by "anonymous" users.

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 13 Nov 84 15:36:27 EST
From:     Brint <abc@BRL-TGR.ARPA>
To:       telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA
Subject:  Two Sides to the Bulletin Board

On the one hand, I seem to recall that the offending number was posted
in a category with an offensive name.  Can anybody recall what it was?

On the other hand, if someone poss a telephone calling card number on
the bulletin board down at the supermarket, is the grocery chain guilty
of a felony -- or of anything?

Brint

(301) 278-6883    AV:  283-6883     FTS: 939-6883

ArpaNet:  abc@brl
UUCP:     ...!{decvax,cbosgd}!brl-bmd!abc
Postal:

  Dr Brinton Cooper
  U.S. Army Ballistic Research Laboratory
  Attn: AMXBR-SECAD (Cooper)