[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #129

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (11/30/84)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Thu, 29 Nov 84 22:34:22 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 129

Today's Topics:
                             phone wiring
                        Hello, I'm a computer
                      Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #127

Date: Wed 28 Nov 84 16:16:01-PST
From: Mike Dixon <MDIXON@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: phone wiring
To: telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA

while attempting a bit of reverse-engineering on my phone answering machine
(a record-a-call 675) i noticed that it seems to expect signals on the first
and fourth wires (modular plug) as well as the second and third.  all the
phones i've ever looked at ignored these wires, and indeed some extension
jacks don't even connect them...

can someone give a brief summary of what each of the four wires are used
for, what the signal levels are like, etc.?  thanks.             .mike.
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 84 13:00:51 EST
From: Craig MacFarlane <cmacfarl@BBNCCJ.ARPA>
Subject: Hello, I'm a computer
To: telecom@bbncca.arpa

   Have many of you noticed the increase in computer/recordings that call
your no. to get you to buy something?  In the last 2-3 weeks I've received
about 5 of these calls, and I'm rarely at home.

 Where does the law draw the line between inquiry and abuse?  Is there any-
thing stopping someone from setting up a recording that will call every no.
in the local area, and say "eat at joes"?  I think the ones that bother me
the most are the surveing calls, where the recording pauses for a response,
because you can't find out who they are.

 Anyway, I was just wondering if this is fad or trend...

						[raig

------------------------------

Date: Thu 29 Nov 84 22:01:27-EST
From: Keith M. Gabryelski <GZT.KEITH%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #127
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA

A couple of things:

Re: Screening BBS Mail..

	Would anyone out there like to right the routines for the
	various computers.  I sure wouldn't like to put in a time
	wasting routine like that on my BBS.

Re: Interuptions..

	I've never had a problem interupting a line.  I've even used
	bizarre names that only the receiving party would understand
	and I still never had a problem.  Maybe the operator was new
	operator that just finished reading the "Standard Practices"
	(You've gotta break the new ones in.)

Re: Party Lines..

	There have been several party lines (that I have been on) up
	and down the coast here.  Charlie Oakland I think is the one
	that runs the one in SF.  (They would not allow stuff of
	questionable nature on the line).

	There is also one in LA related with FEEDBACK I think.

	I've noticed that 4-5 is the maximun number of people you can
	have on a conference before it got annoying.  With all the
	people being random, I would say that the number would have be
	a lot less. (Lukers not-withstanding.. ofcourse who would lurk
	with prices like that.)

			Keith
-------

End of TELECOM Digest