[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #134

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (12/13/84)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Wed, 12 Dec 84 17:25:36 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 134

Today's Topics:
                       Telco directory service
                              Re: Allnet
                         Re:  Call forwarding
                           950 strangeness

Date: Tue 11 Dec 84 12:38:34-EST
From: Marvin Sirbu <SIRBU@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Telco directory service
To: jbs@MIT-XX.ARPA

The New England Telephone company's directory service computers for 617
went down this morning and there was no directory service to be had for
quite a while.  They clearly don't have a distributed database with
multiple servers as with domain names.

Marvin Sirbu
-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue 11 Dec 84 19:09:47-EST
From: Robert S. Lenoil <LENOIL@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Allnet
To: telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA

Their ad said "service TO anywhere in the USA."  This is true, as you can
reach any phone in the USA from Allnet.  That may be misleading, but it is
not supposed to imply that Allnet is offered FROM everywhere.

I use Allnet under 1+ dialing.  If you live in an equal access area, their
access number is 10444, and they encourage you to use it (it's not just for
subscribers as other company's numbers are).  They are resellers of AT&T
trunks, and as such the quality is just fine.  Their rates are MUCH better
than either AT&T, MCI, or SPRINT, and their six-second increment billing does
save you lots of money (US Tel also uses six second billing).
-------

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 6 Dec 84 17:48:56 EST
From:     Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA>
To:       TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA
Subject:  Re:  Call forwarding

Carl:
	As I recall, no indication is given to the person on the line.
If I recall correctly, call waiting doesn't even go off.

-Ron

------------------------------

Date: 11 Dec 84 20:46:47 EST
From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: 950 strangeness
To: telecom@RUTGERS.ARPA

Morristown?  My old stomping grounds.  Having to dial 1+201+950+ sounds
*very* strange, to wit, a *bug* that should be corrected.  1+201+ should
not route any different from if you simply dial the seven digits, and if
it is, the office is screwed up.  Does this happen from the fones in the
455 office [which 267, 538/9, etc are part of]??

Naturally, if you try to explain this to a repair person, they won't understand
a thing you're driving at.  Try to determine exactly what is softwarily
wrong, and call the BSC [*not* the residence office] at 267 9900, or maybe
the Admin HQ at 649 9900.  You have to bypass a lot of front-end people
by asking for supervisors.  Both those numbers are official and therefore
toll-free if you dial through the operator.  G'luck!

_H*
-------

End of TELECOM Digest