[net.math] Omega

bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (01/21/86)

Does anyone have any references concerning the (relatively) new constant
called omega? Omega is the exact probability that a random input tape
fed to a deterministic Turing machine will cause the machine to halt.
Obviously this probability is very close to one because a random input
tape will have a high probability of having an error in it that would
cause a halt.

I believe that it has been shown that omega is not computable.

Bob Silverman

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (01/23/86)

In article <440@faron.UUCP> bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) writes:
>Does anyone have any references concerning the (relatively) new constant
>called omega? Omega is the exact probability that a random input tape
>fed to a deterministic Turing machine will cause the machine to halt.

One of Martin Gardner's last columns for Scientific American contained
a discussion of this constant.  I believe the definition is somewhat more
complex than you indicate, since it consists of powers of two summed in
such a way that, if you knew the exact value, you could decode it to
determine whether any particular input tape will cause the machine to halt.

>I believe that it has been shown that omega is not computable.

Obviously.
--
Dave Seaman	  					pur-ee!pucc-h!ags

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/23/86)

> Does anyone have any references concerning the (relatively) new constant
> called omega? Omega is the exact probability that a random input tape
> fed to a deterministic Turing machine will cause the machine to halt.
> Obviously this probability is very close to one because a random input
> tape will have a high probability of having an error in it that would
> cause a halt.
>
> I believe that it has been shown that omega is not computable.

Surely the definition as stated is incomplete, because it says nothing
about the particular Turing machine, or about the distribution of the
possible input tapes.  I have the strong suspicion, however, that
any reasonable filling-in of this definition would result in a value
that is not computable.

bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (01/24/86)

> > Does anyone have any references concerning the (relatively) new constant
> > called omega? Omega is the exact probability that a random input tape
> > fed to a deterministic Turing machine will cause the machine to halt.
> > Obviously this probability is very close to one because a random input
> > tape will have a high probability of having an error in it that would
> > cause a halt.
> >
> > I believe that it has been shown that omega is not computable.
>
> Surely the definition as stated is incomplete, because it says nothing
> about the particular Turing machine, or about the distribution of the
> possible input tapes.  I have the strong suspicion, however, that
> any reasonable filling-in of this definition would result in a value
> that is not computable.

You're correct, I should have been more specific. There is, I believe a
family of such constants which depend upon the number of states of
the Turing machine. The input tapes are assumed to have the following
distributions:

1. The length of the tape is uniformly distributed over [1,infinity).
   This is generally called an 'improper' or 'diffuse' distribution
   in Bayesian statitistics. Its measure over any fixed interval is
   zero, but its measure over [1,infinity) is 1. More formally:

	Probability(length = N) = lim 1/n  as n -> infinity for any N

	sum( P(length = N) ) for N = 1 to infinity is then just:

	lim n*(1/n)  as n -> infinity which equals one.

   Basically all this says is that the input tape length is finite and
   all lengths have the same probability.
2. Any given position on the tape has Prob(position is 1) = 1/2
				      Prob(position is 0) = 1/2

mendel@utcsri.UUCP (Alberto Mendelzon) (01/27/86)

Consider a universal Turing machine that is fed a random
sequence of bits, e.g. by flipping a coin whenever the
machine requests another bit. Omega was defined by Gregory
Chaitin as the probability that the machine will eventually
halt. The exact value of omega depends on the particular
universal Turing machine.
Martin Gardner's relevant column in Scientific American
appeared in November 1979 (Vol 241, No. 5).
--
Alberto Mendelzon
utcsri!mendel