[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #143

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (01/08/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Mon, 7 Jan 85 23:08:46 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 143

Today's Topics:
                   Circuit Switch Digital Capability
                       What about party lines?

Date:  Sun, 6 Jan 85 02:55 EST
From:  Paul Schauble <Schauble@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  Circuit Switch Digital Capability
To:  Telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA

I have recently been reading about a new data transmission system called
CSDC.  This basically extends the 56kb digital trunk to the subscriber's
location and provides 56kb full duplex data circuits.

I would like more information on this.  In particular, I need tecnical
specs and information that the telephone companies are willing to
release about the commercial availability of the service.

Does anyone have any references, or know where I should look??

          Thanks
          Paul

------------------------------

From: ima!johnl@bbncca
Date: Mon Jan  7 22:26:00 1985
Subject: What about party lines?
To: bbncca!telecom

While idly reading my phone book the other day, I noted that it says that the
rules for connecting equipment to party lines are different from those for
private lines.  Anybody know what they are?  I know on two-party lines that
it's usual to put a diode in series with the bell and to polarize the ring so
that each party only hears the phone ring for his own calls.  But the last I
checked, there was no way except for the honor system to tell which party on
a line is making a given toll call, either by having an operator cut in and
ask for the calling number, or by having a "circle digit" that one dials after
the "1" or "0" but before the desired number.

So what happens when equal access, TouchStar, and all the magic of modern
telephony comes to party line customers?  I expect that there always will be
party lines, because they're a lot cheaper than private lines.  I wonder how
many party lines there are in Boston and Cambridge?  The phone book gives the
monthly charges, so there is presumably a tarriff.

John Levine, ima!johnl or Levine@YALE.ARPA

End of TELECOM Digest