[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #150

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (01/29/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Mon, 28 Jan 85 22:59:48 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 150

Today's Topics:
                           Re: RJ45S......
               Time & Temp commercial in St. Louis, too
                      Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #148
                 RJ41S and RJ45S - Revisited - Again
                   T1 synchronous interfaces/drivers
                         AT&T equipment rental

Date: 25 Jan 85 02:59:43 EST
From: Stephen Carter <SCARTER@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: Re: RJ45S......
To: telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA

The quickest kludge I can think of is to hop down to your local Rat Shack
and buy their funny RJ11--->RJ11 with the cute little inline switch (they
made it so little old ladies can cut the bell off (actually the whole
simple fern!!)  when The Edge of Wetness is on.)  Cut off one RJ11 and hot
wire it into your ring and trip of your modem.  Short the exclusion key
feature to make your modem always happy, put a duplex RJ11 tap to both
your modem and a regular phone.   Dial with the regular phone, toggle the
inline switch, and your ready to communicate.

You should also look around for a telephone line transformer while you have
the modem open.  If it doesn't have one, add it.  (Rat Shack also has a
cheapo 600/600 ohm xformer).   This will keep your Telco happy, and also
helps random ground hums...
-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri 25 Jan 85 11:46:29-MST
From: William G. Martin <WMartin@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Time & Temp commercial in St. Louis, too
To: telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA

Here in St. Louis, time & temp have been provided by a local bank, the
same as the other poster mentioned regarding Republic Bank in his area.
Wonder why such an obvious money-maker/advertising gimmick was not
promoted by all the other BOCs? (I guess both of these are in SW Bell
territory.)

The interesting thing about it here is that it had always been advertised
as "FA 1-2522", but that any number from "FA 1-1000" thru "FA 1-8999"
worked fine (the first might have been "FA 1-0000", but I don't recall
for sure). I always used "FA 1-1111" since that is the best number to
dial on a rotary phone (quickest, easiest on the finger). When they went
to ESS (I suppose), this changed, and now ONLY "FA 1-2522" (or "321-2522",
if you must be modern about it...) will function.

What I'm wondering is why they picked "2522" as the digit combination
to advertise and settle on. Anybody have any idea? I would have chosen
"1111", of course, and was mightily irked when "321-1111" no longer worked.

I always figured that the "9000" series wasn't used, as those were for
payphone numbers, but that the choice of any other four digits was
completely arbitrary. Why not pick four identical digits? Is there some
psychological-study-justification that "2522" is easier to recall or
more "effective" in some way than "2222" or "4444" or anything else?

Will Martin
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 85 12:25:28 pst
From: ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!eder@Berkeley (Dani Eder)
To: uw-beaver!cornell!vax135!houxm!ihnp4!cbosgd!ulysses!ucbvax!telecom@Berkeley
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #148

Boeing Computer Services negotiating with AT&T for Switching System
Installation
Form the 24 January 1985 'Boeing News'

     Boeing Computer Services Company has announced selection of
AT&T for negotiations leading to installation of AT&T telephone
switching systems at major Boeing plant locations in Seattle and
Wichita.
     The AT&T selection follows a six-month eveluation of proposals
from 13 suppliers and marks the beginning of a modernization of
Boeing voice and data telephone communications systems that will
be completed in 1987.  The copleted system, including telephones,
switching, and related equipment, will be owned by Boeing.
     After negotiations with AT&T are completed successfully, the
AT&T 5ESS telephone switching system, which was selected as the
product best suited to serve Boeing's requirements in the Seattle
and Wichita areas, will be installed at those locations.
     Boeing's review of the proposals submitted revealed that no single
offering fully met all Boeing requirements for all of the company's
nationwide locations.  Consequently, Boeing elected to integrate
systems from a number of suppliers.
     Decisions on suppliers of equipment and service offerings
for other Boeing sites will be made later.  Details of the installation
plan will be announced when they are available.
----------end of article, start of commentary----------

     Right now the bottom of my telephone says "Bell system property,
not for sale".  I presume that this means there will 50000 surplus
telephones on the market sometime soon.  I am more interested in
the long term implications of this change.  I presume that Pacific
Northwest Bell currently provides local switching.  We already have
a satellite earth station at this plant in Kent, WA that talks to
an SBS satellite.  I presume we can connect to SBS's Skylink long
distance service.  This doesn't leave much for PNB to do, does it?
The only service they have left is local access, and perhaps
a service contract for maintenance.  With the spread of company-
owned telecommunications, what is the long term (>10 year)
future of the local operating companies?

Dani Eder / Boeing / ssc-vax!eder

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jan 85 10:25:50 PST (Friday)
Subject: RJ41S and RJ45S - Revisited - Again
To: Mark Weiser <mark@TOVE.ARPA>
From: John <Cottriel.ES@XEROX.ARPA>

Mark,

Hope this clears things up.

John

re:  "...an RJ-41 doesn't require anyone to actually measure
         the loop-loss at my house and set a resister..."

Negative - both the RJ41S and RJ45S require a telco person to
           set them up.  That's why they cost so much to install.

That initial set-up is what the modem uses to determine it's levels.
Based on the info you provided (i.e. the 8 wires from the AJ manual)
your modem requires an RJ45 jack, and telco will determine what resistor
to use across pins 7&8.  If an RJ41 jack were installed, the same thing
would apply, but additionally, the RJ41 jack has an H-pad across pins 1&2
and these pins are paralleled with pins 4&5 (tip&ring) through the switch
on the jack.  The H-pad is impedance matched to the line and set for an
approximate 8db attenuation.  When the FLL is used, the modem that is
attached to the jack is required to limit it's output level to a maximum
of -4dbm.

Modems designed to be used with an RJ45S jack (or an RJ41S jack with
the switch in PROG mode), have the ability to set their transmit levels
in the range of 0 to -12dbm.  Within that range, they determine their
transmit level from the resistance that telco puts across pins 7&8.

Modems designed to be used with RJ11C jacks (permissive) must
have their output level limited to a maximum of -9dbm.

Here's some pictures (sorta...use a fixed pitch font...)

RJ11C Jack

1 - NC
2 - MI   -- Black -- Not used
3 - Ring --- Red --- Ring {to switched network}--------------------> R to
4 - Tip  -- Green -- Tip  {to switched network}--------------------> T Telco
5 - MIC  -- Yellow - Not used
6 - NC

RJ45S Jack (97B Programmable Data Jack)

1 - NC
2 - NC
3 - MI   -- Black -- Voice/Data mode via Exclusion Key
4 - Ring --- Red --- Ring {to switched network}--------------------> R to
5 - Tip  -- Green -- Tip  {to switched network}--------------------> T Telco
6 - MIC  -- Yellow - Voice/Data mode via Exclusion Key
7 - PR --RESISTOR---o
                    !
8 - PC -------------o

RJ41S Jack (97A Universal Data Jack-Programmable{PROG} & FixedLossLoop{FLL})

1 - R(FLL)--H-PAD--[S]----o
2 - T(FLL)--H-PAD--[S]-o  !
3 - MI   -- Black -----!--!---> Voice/Data mode via Exclusion Key
4 - Ring --- Red ------!--o---> Ring {to switched network}----------> R to
5 - Tip  -- Green -----o------> Tip  {to switched network}----------> T Telco
6 - MIC  -- Yellow ----------> Voice/Data mode via Exclusion Key
7 - PR --RESISTOR---o
                    !
8 - PC -------------o

Note:  [S] = switch on RJ41S jack, (FLL or PROG).
       [S] Open in PROG position and closed in FLL position.
           In PROG position, Ring and Tip are taken at pins 4 & 5.
	   In FLL  position, Ring and Tip are taken at pins 1 & 2.

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 26 Jan 85 16:26:59 EST
From:     Joe Pistritto <jcp@BRL-TGR.ARPA>
To:       telecom@mit-mc.ARPA
Subject:  T1 synchronous interfaces/drivers

	Has anyone had any experience with interfacing to 1.544Mb/s
(T1) synchronous telephone lines out there?  In particular, I need
reccomendations as to hardware and drivers to use for this
purpose.  Can a DEC DMR-11 be optioned to do this?  (since it
supports 1Mb/s synchronous, externally clocked, it seems it might).

						-JCP-

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 28 Jan 85 15:33:17 CST
From:     Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI <wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA>
To:       telecom@Bbncca.ARPA
Subject:  AT&T equipment rental

Hi!

Around here, at least, the local BOC (SW Bell) stopped billing for AT&T
equipment rental, and AT&T began sending bills to consumers directly
for leased instruments and the like. (This is academic to me, as I
bought my phone and get no such bills, by the way.)

What I'm wondering is why people are bothering to pay these bills, and
what AT&T can do if they don't. Consider: if they keep their SW Bell
phone-service bill paid, SW Bell is not going to bother them about
what they haven't paid AT&T, right? As a matter of fact, isn't SW Bell
*prohibited* from acting for AT&T in this? In most cases, these bills
are quarterly, and for equipment rental charges in the area of $1.25
per month or so. AT&T can't afford to engage in expensive commercial
collection practices for such piddly bills, even if they are in arrears
for a year or more -- the amounts simply aren't worth it.

There are separate corps of AT&T & SW Bell installers (probably getting
in each other's way), so I guess AT&T has the people to send around to
pull equipment on which the charges are unpaid. In a situation where
you can buy a phone for $7.99 at your local discount house, though,
if your actual phone service remains unaffected, that isn't much of a
threat. Again, of course, does it make economic sense to pay $30/hour
(including overhead) person-and-truck resources to collect an
essentially-worthless desk phone on which the consumer owes $20 back rent?
Sure, it would pay if the premises had a bunch of equipment, but not
for a single standard instrument.

Anyone know for sure what is going on in this area? It's too new to
have any history yet developed, and I notice that local consumer-activist
television news stories on the split of the billing have been careful not
to bring up this topic [so as to not put the idea into the heads of all
those sheep out there that just got this new bill], but, if people just
generally waste-canned these AT&T bills, just what would (or could) AT&T
DO about it? Surely their planners have some worst-case scenario in mind
and have made SOME provisions?

Do mechanisms exist for AT&T to get the BOCs to take collection action
for it? (That is, in effect returning to the pre-split billing
environment.) Or would AT&T have to fight for this in the regulatory
arena?

Will

ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA     USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin

End of TELECOM Digest