[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #155

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (02/08/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Thu, 7 Feb 85 19:33:42 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 155

Today's Topics:
                      Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #153
                           That neet number
                       Residential PABX systems
                                 mail
                       MIT Communications Forum

From: kyle.wbst@XEROX.ARPA
Date: 5 Feb 85 18:47:01 EST
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #153
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA

re: noise & Southwestern Bell...

I have had a problem with noise on the lines up here in Rochester, NY.
It seems to vary with the time of day (maybe even phases of the moon,
since this is such a dog of a phone company up here). I have a cheap
plug in modem card on an old Apple II+ at home . The brand name is
Networker with Netmaster software . What I have discovered is that there
is an AM radio station that comes in loud and clear on the phone lines
(usually at night) with some music programming. During these periods,
the garbage character rate goes way up and I usually get disconnected
from my system  at work which connects me to this net. When I disconnect
the modem from the phone line, the music goes away, so clearly the modem
card is somehow acting like an antenna and picking up this radio
station.

Any suggestions for a cheap fix (short of building agiant Faraday cage).

Thanks,

Earle Kyle
Xerox Corp.
Webster, NY 14580.

------------------------------

Date:    5 February 85 19:28-EST
From:      Michael Grant  <GRANT%UMDB.Bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA>
To: Telecom Digest <TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA>
Subject: That neet number

Here in Merryland, at least on my exchange, that neet number is 311.  I
am on a *really* old cross-bar exchange.  We're dated for ESS in  late
1986, equal access....?????  C&P says MAYBE in 1988, but probebly not
before.  My exchange is 301-439 in case you wanted to know.
-Mike Grant

------------------------------

Date:    5 February 85 21:49-EST
From:      Michael Grant  <GRANT%UMDB.Bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA>
To: Telecom Digest <TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA>
Subject: Residential PABX systems

Earlier this week I sent a query about a residential apartment building
which houses 550 tenants.  I just attended a meeting for a proposal of
what to do about our decreped in house phone system.  The Seal Corp.
presented our building with their option.  I thought it was particularly
interesting, so I bring it up here.

Their idea is to install a PABX in the building.  The building would buy
local service in bulk from C&P (our local telco) and in turn sell it to
us tenents.  By their estimats, this would cut out local bill in half.
They were even willing to finance the thing for us.  The system will
even allow such things like you get with custom calling even though out
exchange dosn't offer it yet.  And...they say we can also simulate
equal access too!!!  Their system uses Telesaver (another AT&T reseller)
as default.  For this, the building would get kick backs from Telesaver
for the long distance calls the tenants make (10% of the total calls per
month.)  The only drawback that I see up right away is that having a PABX
is seen as a bussiness by MaBell.  That means that any local calls will
be billed in message units.  This might not be so bad in the long run
since C&P wants to make residential service that way anyway.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this?  Is this not a good thing to get
into?  Are there other companies that will do this sort of thing?  Does
anyone have any better ideas?  In my own opinion, this sounds pretty
neet.
-Mike Grant

------------------------------

Date: Tue 5 Feb 85 23:13:11-EST
From: Kathleen Carley <Kathleen.Carley@CMU-CS-C.ARPA>
Subject: mail
To: telecom@MIT-MC.ARPA

  I'm trying to collect background information for a paper I am
writing on computer mail and I was wondering if you could tell me:
  1) Whether or not you charge for mail, and if so how
  2) Do you charge your users for sending messages or files over the
ARPA-NET
  thankyou
  Kathleen Carley
  Asst. Prof. Carnegie-Mellon University
-------

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 6 Feb 85 16:13 EST
From:  Kahin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject:  MIT Communications Forum
To:  decvax!ittvax!hagouel@UCB-VAX.ARPA, DEPhillips@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA,

Update on February 21 MIT Communications Forum Seminar, "Software
Protection and Marketing":

Jim Button, author of PC-File and PC-Calc and founder of Buttonware,
Inc., will be speaking at this seminar.  A systems engineer for IBM for
17 years, he is now one of the leading proponents and marketers of
user-supported software ("shareware")

(The other speakers are Todd Sun of Multimate International and Marvin
Goldschmidt of Lotus Development Corporation.  The seminar will be held
at 4:00 in room 37-252.)

End of TELECOM Digest