[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #160

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (02/17/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Sat, 16 Feb 85 23:42:35 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 160

Today's Topics:
                              Bell 212AR
                            bell acronyms

Date: 16 February 1985 21:14-EST
From: Stephen C. Hill <STEVEH @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Bell 212AR
To: TELECOM @ MIT-MC, INFO-MICRO @ MIT-MC

Can someone tell me the signal transition to make from a computer to make a
Bell 212AR go back on-hook (ps, what does the AR respresent?).  I have been
asked to do this, but as usual, no documentation has been made available.  The
application is to make a bulletin board hang up if no activity is noticed
within some set time.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 16 Feb 85 20:22-EST
From: "Robert C. Patterson" <GZT.RCP@mit-oz>
Subject: bell acronyms
To: jsol@mit-eecs

 This list is not totally complete, so I will send you an updated list as
I receive one..

(=-> Telephony Acronyms <-=)

ACD    = Automatic Call Distributing system
ACS    = Advanced Communications System
ACTS   = Automatic Coin Telephone Service
ACU    = Alarm Control Unit
ADCI   = Automatic Display Call Indicator
ADP    = Advanced Data Processing
ADS    = Automatic Voice System
AFADS  = Automatic Force Adjustment Data System
AIC    = Automatic Intercept Center
AIOD   = Automatic Identification Outward Dialing
AIS    = Automatic Intercept System
AMA    = Automatic Message Accounting
AMARC  = Automatic Message Accounting Recording Center
ANC    = All Number Calling
ANF    = Automatic Number Forwarding
ANI    = Automatic Number Identification
AP     = All Points
ARPANET= Advanced Research Projects Agency Network
ATA    = Automatic Trouble Analysis
ATM    = Automatic Teller Machine
ATTIS  = American Telephone and Telegraph Information Systems
AUTOVON= AUTOmatic VOice Netework
AUTODIN= AUTOmatic DIgital Network
BCP    = Byte Controlled Protocals
BDT    = Billing Data Transmitter
BELCORE= BELL COmmunications REsearch
BICS   = Building Industry Consulting Services
BIOC   = Break Into Other Computers
BIS    = Business Information System
BLF    = Busy Line Field
BOC    = Bell Operating Company
BOS    = Business Office Supervisor
BSC    = Binary Sychronous Communication
BTL    = Bell Telephone Laboratories
CAMA   = Centralized Automatic Message Accounting
CCI    = Computer Carrier Interupt
CCIS   = Common Channel Interoffice Signaling
CCSA   = Common Control Switching Arrangement
CDA    = Call Data Accumulator
CDO    = Community Dial Office
CEVI   = Common Equipment Voltage Indicator
CF     = Coin First payphone
CICS   = Customer Information Control System
CLR    = Combined Line and Recording
CLRC   = Circuit Layout Record Card
CMD    = Centralized Message Distribution
CMS    = Circuit Maintenance System
CN/A   = Customer Name / Address
CO     = Central Office
COER   = Central Office Equipment Report
COMAS  = Central Office Maintenance and Administration System
COSMIC = COmmon System Main InterConnecting frame
COSMOS = COmputer System for Mainframe OperationS
CPO    = Customer Premises Equipment
CREG   = Concentrated Range Extention with Gain
CSACS  = Centralized Status, Alarm and Control System
CSDC   = Circuit Switched Digital Capability
CSL    = Coin Supervising Link
CSO    = Central Services Organization
CSP    = Control Switching Point
CSS    = Customer Switching System
DA     = Directory Assistance (/C = computerized, /M = Microfilm)
DACCS  = Digital Access Cross Connect System
DCTS   = Dimension Custom Telephone Service
DDD    = Direct Distance Dialing
DIAD   = (magnetic) Drum Information Assembler / Dispatcher
DIAS   = Defense Automatic Integrated System
DID    = Direct Inward Dialing
DLL    = Dial Long Line equipment
DNR    = Dialed Number Recorder
DNIC   = Data Network Identification Code
DOC    = Dynamic Overload Control
DP     = Dial Pulse
DRE    = Directional Reservation Equipment
DSA    = Dial System Assistance
DSS    = Direct Station Selection
DTF    = Dial Tone First payphone
DTMF   = Dial Tone Multi Frequency
EADASS = Engineering and Administrative Data AcquiSition System
EAS    = Extended Area Service (or Engineering Admin. System)
EBCDIC = Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code
ECASS  = Electronically Controlled Automatic Switching System
ECDO   = Electronic Community Dial Office
ECO    = Electronic Central Office
EDTCC  = Electronic Data Transmission Communications Central
EMS    = Electronic Message System
EO     = End Office
ESAC   = Electronic Systems Assistance Center
ESS    = Electronic Switching System
ESSEX  = Experimental Solid State EXchange
ETFD   = Electronic Toll Fraud Device
ETS    = Electronic Translator System
EVX    = Electronic Voice eXchange
FACD   = Foriegn Area Customer Dialing
FAT    = Foriegn Area Translation
FTS    = Federal Telephone System
FX     = Foriegn eXchange
HACD   = Home Area Customer Dialing
HNPA   = Home Numbering Plan Area
HOBIS  = HOtel Billing Information System
IDDD   = International Direct Distance Dialing
IDF    = Intermediate Distributing Frame
INWATS = Inward Wide Area Telephone Service
INADS  = INitialization and ADministration System
IOD    = Identified Outward Dialing
IP     = Intermediate Point
ISC    = International Switching Center
JIM    = Job Information Memorandum
KDCI   = Key Display Call Indicator
KP     = Key Pulse
KSU    = Key Service Unit
KTS    = Key Telephone System
KTU    = Key Telephone Unit
LAMA   = Local Automatic Message Accounting
LDX    = Long Distance eXtender
LIU    = Line Interface Unit
LL     = Long Lines
LLN    = Line Link Network
LLP    = Line Link Pulsing
LMOS   = Line Maintenance Operations System
LSS    = Loop Switching System
MAAP   = Maintenance And Admistration Panel
MCC    = Master Control Console
MDAS   = Magnetic Drum Auxiliary Sender
MDF    = Main Distrbution Frame
MF     = Multi=Frequency
MILNET = MILitary NETwork
MTR    = Magnetic Tape Recording
MTSO   = Mobile Telephone Switching Office
NBO    = Network Build Out
NCA    = Network Control Analysis
NOTIS  = Network Operator Trouble Information System
NPA    = Number Plan Area
OCI    = Out of City Indicator
OIU    = Office Interface Unit
ONI    = Operator Number Identification
OSS    = Operation Support System
OUTWATS= OUTward Wide Area Telephone Service
PAM    = Pulse Amplification Modulation
PATROL = Program for Admistrative Traffic Reports On Line
PBX    = Private Branch Exchange
PCI    = Panel Call Indicator
PCM    = Pulse Code Modulation
PP     = Primary Point (or dial Post Pay payphone)
PPCS   = Person to Person, Collect, Special
PSDS   = Public Switched Digital Service
RACEP  = Random Access and Correlation for Extended Performance
RASC   = Residence Account Service Center
RC     = Regional Center
RCC    = Radio Common Carrier
RJE    = Remote Job Entry
RMATS  = Remote Maintenance Admistration and Traffic System
ROTS   = Rotary Out Trunks Selectors
RR     = Route Relay
RRO    = Rate and Route Operator
RSU    = Remote Switching Unit
RTA    = Remote Trunk Arrangement
RTAC   = Regional Technical Assistance Center
RU     = Receive Unit
SA     = Service Assistant
SAC    = Special Area Code
SAMA   = Step=by=step Automatic Message Accounting
SARTS  = Switched Access Remote Test System
SC     = Sectional Center
SCAN   = Switched Circuit Automatic Network
SCC    = Switching Control Center (or Specialized Common Carriers)
SCOTS  = Surveilance and Control Of Transmission Systems

 As I said, as I get more for the list, I will send it to you.

-GZT.RCP@MIT-OZ

End of TELECOM Digest