[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #169

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (03/15/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Thu, 14 Mar 85 17:45:20 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 169

Today's Topics:
                      Equal access collect calls
                           T1, T1C, T2, ...
        Re: AT&T long distance (TELECOM Digest V4 #90 and #91)

From: ima!johnl@bbncca
Date: Sun Mar 10 16:25:00 1985
Subject: Equal access collect calls
To: bbncca!telecom

Some of the carriers such as ITT have billing arrangements with the operating
companies for casual users, but bill customers who have selected them as
primary carrier directly.  Such an arrangement makes collect calls practical,
since they always have some way to bill.

But here's a similar issue.  If I call home from Europe and either call
collect or with a calling card, I pay the bill to AT&T, and I pay AT&T's
international rate.  Rates from the US to Europe are typically about half
what they are the other way, so by doing so I save a bundle.  My question is
what the division of revenue is.  Does each end just keep its money and
assume the collect and credit card calls will even out as they split the
costs anyway, or is there some more complicated setup?  Knowing the phone
company, there must be.

John Levine, ima!johnl or Levine@YALE.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 11 Mar 85 17:44:51 EST
From: Roy <MARANTZ@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: T1, T1C, T2, ...

Anyone know where I can get info on the high speed "protocols" used
by the phone company (and others) called T1, T1C, T2, and also CEPT1
and CEPT2?  Are they just data rates or are they more like the RS-232C
type protocol which has electrical characteristics?  The reason I'm asking
is that I'm investigating making a ethernet to ethernet "gateway" that
goes over a microwave (or land) link operating at one of these speeds.
I have the design (from SUMEX) for Ethernet gateways, but they don't
(I think) have any design which talks over these kinds of lines.  So any
help on the protocols or multibus cards that interface into this kind of
stuff would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Roy
-------
-------

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!houpo!bear@Berkeley
Date: 12 Mar 85 16:10:44 CST (Tue)
To: ihnp4!ucbvax!telecom@Berkeley
Subject: Re: AT&T long distance (TELECOM Digest V4 #90 and #91)

If you read even more carefully you will see that what AT&T wants is
equal pricing for equal services. If ENFIA B and ENFIA C are equal
for incoming calls why should AT&T be prohibited from using the less
expensive trunks? Should OCCs be required to pay premium rates for
terminating traffic from places that they have equal access? There
are complex issues to be resolved in the transition from the old
AT&T to the new competitive environment, but "sleazy" is unkind.

Jim Allen ...ihnp4!houpi!bear AT&T Bell Laboratories (201) 949-4108

End of TELECOM Digest