[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #174

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (04/02/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Mon, 1 Apr 85 22:37:16 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 174

Today's Topics:
           Re: Blocking Incoming Calls and other SL-1 hacks
                            Hayes 2400 modem
                    speaking of sneaky tricks ...
                          Common Carrier T1
                     MCC unveils Mistery Program

Date:  1 Apr 85    1:11 EST
From:   James A. Dorf   <stdtjad%BOSTONU.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Blocking Incoming Calls and other SL-1 hacks
To:  telecom@bbncca.arpa

-----
Why do you stipulate "permanent" call-forwarding on your modem extension
when I think "standard" SL-1 call-forwarding would work:  once set, the
only way to alter or cancel call-forwarding on the SL-1 would be for your
dial-OUT modem to dial "#1" (or is it "*1"? (my SL-1 extension is on an ACD..))
...  Unless the modem (or software running the modem) can be modified to
tone-out the cancel-code and then hang-up, security is preserved..

Eh???? /jad
-----

------------------------------

Date: Saturday, 23 March 1985  10:35-MST
From: STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL
Subject:   Hayes 2400 modem

I have had a Hayes 2400 modem for a week, now.  It came with a note
saying that it wouldn't work on some earlier PBX's, and if I had one,
to return the modem and a new one would be sent out in 2 weeks.

It is much more vulnerable to shot noise (appears as random left-hand
curly brackets) than the Hayes 1200, at 1200 baud.

--david--

------------------------------

Date:  Apr 1985 1 09:39-EST
From: David.Anderson@CMU-CS-K.ARPA
To: Clive Dawson <CC.Clive@utexas-20>
Cc: telecom@bbncca
Subject: speaking of sneaky tricks ...

Here at CMU the dialup numbers for the comp center micoms all start
with the digit '9', which makes it impossible to call those numbers
through the local switch.  Apparently this was done to keep the hackers
in the dorms from tying up these lines.  This used to be a real hassle,
since my only means of connecting to these machines from my office used
to be via modem, and I'd have to place a real phone call to reach them
(and I had to pay for my measured local usage).  The campus operator
said that she couldn't connect me directly.

------------------------------

Date: 1 Apr 1985 12:06 PST
From: Art Berggreen <ART@ACC>
Subject: Common Carrier T1
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA
Cc: TCP-IP@SRI-NIC

I have been trying to get a handle on the bit stream framing requirements
for using common carrier T1 circuits (DS1).  There seems to be a feeling
that, at least, 193 bit framing must be followed.

My conversations with various people (including people inside various
ATT companies and BELLCORE) lead me to the conclusion that the 193
bit framing has no technical basis and was rather a convention that
ATT wanted to enforce before divestiture.  Since divestiture, it appears
possible to utilize common carrier T1 service without regard to
framing (the ones density requirement will always be there).

Any one have DEFINITE information to the contrary?

    				Art Berggreen<Art@ACC.ARPA>

------

------------------------------

Date: Mon 1 Apr 85 18:57:58-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
Subject: MCC unveils Mistery Program
To: ailist@UTEXAS-20.ARPA, telecom@UTEXAS-20.ARPA

    MCC Unveils Mystery Plan

There's a new research program in the works at MCC ... MCC's directors approved
the new program last month and that it will be under way by fall.  But [Inman]
is not ready to reveal jsut what the new MCC team will be researching.  The
consortium has had at least three new programs under consideration:
computer-to-computer communications, semiconducter materials and computer-aided
manufacturing.

Four programs are well under way at MCC - computer-aided design, semiconductor
packaging, advanced computer architecture, and software engineering.

Inman said approval for the new program, which demanded a three-quarters vote
of the 20-member MCC board, represents a "vote of confidence" in the
consortium's current research programs.

[ after Bellcore joined, the priority given to communications' issues should
  have increased.   ---Werner ]
-------

End of TELECOM Digest