[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #178

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (04/11/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Wed, 10 Apr 85 17:58:37 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 178

Today's Topics:
                     alternatives to modems (query)
                        Toll-Free 900 numbers
                  Re: Multiple phone line management
                           Two-Line Phones

Date: Apr 1985 4 11:40-EST
From: David.Anderson@CMU-CS-K
Subject:   alternatives to modems (query)

I'm looking for information on higher bandwidth alternatives to modems
for communications from our department to off-campus users.  The
technologies that I'm considering include using an otherwise unused
cable channel, packet radio, and anything else you can suggest.  I'm
looking for pointers to existing systems in other cities, technical
articles describing these technologies, and vendors of off-the-shelf
equipment.  Please respond by mail, and I'll post a summary later.
--
David.Anderson@cmu-cs-k.ARPA   ..!seismo!cmu-cs-k!dba   (412) 422-1255

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8-Apr-85 04:13:42 PST
From: vortex!lauren@rand-unix (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: Toll-Free 900 numbers
To: TELECOM@MC.ARPA

I recently stumbled across the fact that there is a class of area
code 900 numbers that is toll free, instead of incurring the
usual $0.50/$0.35 charge step.  Locally (here in L.A.) I saw an ad
for an info number that was given as (900) 200-XXXX.  The ad clearly
stated that the number was toll free.

It seemed a bit odd, so I checked with both the GTE and the AT&T
operators.  Both needed a bit of coaxing to get past the immediate
"50 cents for the first minute" line.  What we eventually determined
is that (900) 200-XXXX represents a special class of toll free
900 numbers.  Presumably there is some good reason why an entity
would choose (900) 200 over (800), perhaps relating to regional office
call distribution and routing for large companies....

Does anyone have any specific information about the purpose of the
toll free 900 service vis-a-vis 800 service?  Thanks.

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 85 04:06:11 pst
From: sun!gnu@Berkeley (John Gilmore)
To: telecom@Berkeley
Subject: Re: Multiple phone line management

In the latest Pac Telesis flyer they offer a "Premiere communications system"
service, to wit:

	"links your separate phone lines (up to 20) in a single
	system.  It operates on a touch-tone set and features call
	hold, intercom, call transfer, three-way calling and call pick
	up."

This is listed on the same page as call waiting, forwarding and speed calling,
leading me to believe that it's implemented in the CO rather than in big
relay racks hanging in your basement.

This costs $7/mo per line for 2 to 6 lines, $10/line for up to 20 lines,
plus a $5/line installation fee.

This is the first I've heard of it, does anyone have further info?

------------------------------

Date: 8 Apr 85 10:00:04 EDT (Mon)
From: Nathaniel Mishkin <apollo!mishkin@uw-beaver.arpa>
Subject: Two-Line Phones
To: apollo!telecom@mit-mc.arpa

A couple of months ago I sent a query about two-line phone with "true
hold" (i.e. a hold that can be set on one extension and released on
another).  Since several people asked me for any information I found
and since the following might be of general interested, here it is:

I stopped by an ATT Phone Center Store and they've just recently (within
the past few months) come out with a two-line phone with hold.  It's
a bit of an ugly sucker and it has the truly outrageous price tag of
$199, but it does the job.  It is a tone-only phone.  It can be left
on the desk or mounted on the wall.

After I was at the ATT store, I crossed the street to Radio Shack and
saw that they too now have a two-line phone with hold AND a tone/pulse
selector switch.  It costs $69.  It looks pretty much like a conventional
touch-tone desk phone with three buttons (line 1, 2, and hold) and a
slide switch (tone/pulse) jammed in.  I asked how it sounded and the
salesman said "We're using it as the business phone -- try it yourself".
So I made a local call.  It sounded OK.  Hard to judge because the
environment was a bit noisy.  Anyway, he said that the phone's been real
popular and that he expect they'll be coming out with other models (e.g.
a wall-mounting version) in the near future.

                    -- Nat
-------

End of TELECOM Digest