[net.math] Blantant Public Relations

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (01/22/86)

I have been asked to post the following information.

We have calculated $pi$ to 29,360,128 decimal digits using one
processor of our Cray-2.  It took 28 hours and performed 12 trillion
operations over a three-day period. Memory requirements took
over 138 MWs (64-bit).  The result was determined by Borwein's algorithm.
[SIAM Rev. 26, 1984].  The check took 40 hours.  The technical report
will be issued shortly.  The work was performed by Dr. Dave Bailey,
a contractor with Informatics General Corp. of the Numerical
Aerodynamic Simulation Program Office, NASA Ames Research Center.
The previous large computation was done in Japan to about 10 million digits
on a Hitatchi 810.

If you want the algorithm, look it up at a library.
Don't ask me: I won't send it!
For a copy of the TR: Write Bailey at MS 233-1.  (Serious inquires, please.
The merely curious should wait for the press release.)

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (01/27/86)

In article <1358@ames.UUCP>, eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
> I have been asked to post the following information.
>
> We have calculated $pi$ to 29,360,128 decimal digits using one
> processor of our Cray-2.  It took 28 hours ....

    Did you by any chance find a long sequence of 0's and 1's ?
	(See _Contact_ by Carl Sagan)

       Robert Bickford     (rab@well.uucp)
|  I doubt if these are even my own opinions.  |

jim@sivax.UUCP (Jim Boman) (01/28/86)