[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #180

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (04/18/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Wed, 17 Apr 85 16:25:33 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 180

Today's Topics:
                  Modem calls using NON-ATT carriers
                           900 number query
                         more about Premiere
                         Re: Premier service
                    800-xxx-xxxx (except in sssss)
                      Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #179
                 718-976; areacode & zipcode around LA
                           1.544 Mb formats

Date: 15 Apr 85 10:03 PST
From: M. D. Parker <mike@LOGICON.ARPA>
To: Telecom%BBNCCA@Nosc
Cc: mike@logicon
Subject: Modem calls using NON-ATT carriers

I recently attempted to utilize some of the other long distance carriers
to call other modems.  However, I have run into some problems and it seems
to be independent of the baud rate (both 300 and 1200).  Here are some
characteristics of the problem:

	1. Call other modem number.

	2. The remote modem answers and my modem gives a CONNECT indication.

	3. Barely seconds into the call the modem gives me the NO CARRIER
		indication and the call is terminated.  There are no 'noise'
		brackets (i.e. {{ at 1200 baud).

I do not have this problem using the ATT.  What kind of problem am I seeing
here?  Is this simply a weak signal over the connection?

Mike Parker

ARPA:  mike@logicon

------------------------------

Date: 15-Apr-85 10:49 PST
From: William Daul - Augmentation Systems - McDnD  <WBD.TYM@OFFICE-2.ARPA>
Subject: 900 number query
To: telecom@bbncca.arpa

It is the 900 numbers that can handle multiple simultaneous calls?  If so, how
does the equipment work?  Thanks,  --Bi//

------------------------------

From: dual!qantel!stv@Berkeley (Steve Vance@ex2499)
Subject: more about Premiere
Date: 15 Apr 85 18:52:29 GMT

I have the Bell pamphlet, "10 ways Premiere makes your life a lot
easier", which doesn't tell me everything I would want to know about it,
by any means.  Apparently, Premiere is something you can get when you have
two or more phone lines going to your house, or when some family member
lives near enough to you to be serviced by the same ESS office.  The
brochure is only 10 pages, with one sentence per page, with a cutsie
picture depicting what the sentence is saying.  What follows, in fact, is
the full text of the brochure.  (Don't get upset, Lauren, there's no
copyright notice on it.)

Page 1: Reach family members by pushing 2 buttons with INTERCOM.
Reach anyone on any Touch-Tone line in your home instantly by pushing
just 2 buttons.  No more yelling from the kitchen to the office or kids'
room.  Indispensable in an emergency!

Page 2: Answer any ring from any phone with CALL PICKUP.  Call pickup
lets you answer Grandma's phone from your bedroom.  Or your business
phone from the kitchen.  So you never have to make a mad dash for a
distant phone again.

Page 3: Switch calls from one line to another with CALL TRANSFER.  Let
your phone do the running around.  Send your wife's calls to the
greenhouse, business calls to the office or studio.

Page 4: Put calls "on hold" while you consult in privacy...with CALL
HOLD.  Here's the simple solution for all those times when you're on the
phone, yet you want to consult with your family--or even answer another
call--without being overheard.

Page 5: Talk with family, friends or business associates in 2 different
places at once--with 3-WAY CALLING.  Visit with long distance relatives
or friends on birthdays or anniversaries...arrange local church, school
or club activities--all on a 3-way call right from your home.

Page 6: Never miss a call--even if you're already on the phone--with
CALL WAITING (OPTIONAL FEATURE).  If someone is trying to reach you
while you're on the line, a gentle "beep" lets you know.

Page 7: Make sure calls reach you wherever you go with CALL FORWARDING
(OPTIONAL FEATURE).  Instead of being tied to your house to answer
calls, have them follow you.

Page 8: Distinguish between inside and outside calls with DISTINCTIVE
RINGING (OPTIONAL FEATURE).  Distinctive Ringing lets you know whether a
call is from outside (2 rings) or inside (1 ring) your home.

Page 9: Reach important numbers in seconds with CONVENIENCE DIALING
(OPTIONAL FEATURE).  Convenience dialing lets you reach up to 30
emergency or frequently-called numbers by pushing just 2 buttons.  Cuts
search-and-dial time by 80%!

Page 10: Away or busy?  Let someone else answer with ALTERNATE ANSWERING
(OPTIONAL FEATURE).  If you've stepped away--or you're already on the
phone--Alternate Answering automatically routes your incoming calls to
another line so someone else can answer--and take messages for you.

There's a card stapled to the front of this cornucopia of information:
you can call Bonnie Fair toll free at 415-572-6330, although if you
don't live in the Northern California Pacific Bell service area, she would
probably be happier if you called your local business office if you want
to know more.  She did tell me that no extra equipment was necessary,
in fact, it's not even necessary for an installer to visit your home,
although I don't know how they could make one phone in your house ring
and not all the others without some kind of special hardware somewhere!
--

Steve Vance
{dual,hplabs,intelca,nsc,proper}!qantel!stv

------------------------------

Date: 15-Apr-85 13:35:42-PST
From: jbn@FORD-WDL1.ARPA
Subject: Re: Premier service
To: telecom@MIT-MC.ARPA
Cc: jbn@FORD-WDL1.ARPA

     This is much like Centrex II, an early ESS-based service allowing
large organizations to have internal dialing and other PBX-type services
without on-premises switching equipment.  Everything was done in the
CO using software in the ESS.  There was an operator position for the
``PBX operator'', but it was just a very specialized terminal into the ESS.
     Providing this service for small organizations makes a lot of sense.
The big guys buy their own PBX systems today.

					John Nagle

------------------------------

Date: 15 Apr 85 22:04:46 PST
From: Murray.pa@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: 800-xxx-xxxx (except in sssss)
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA
Cc: Murray.pa@Xerox.ARPA

Why is it that many of the 800 numbers advertised have an exception for
a whole state? I assume that it's a regulatory/billing problem.
Sometimes I see another 800 number for use within a state, so (at least
in some cases) it's not just the cost. Aren't the billing computers
smart enough to keep track of the different rates? I'd think crossing a
state line would be just one more complication among many.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Apr 85 21:25:16-EST
From: Robert Scott Lenoil <G.LENOIL%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #179
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA

     Date:     Fri, 12 Apr 85 7:56:04 EST
     From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@Brl-Vld.ARPA>
     To:       telecom@Brl-Vld.ARPA
     Subject:  718-976; areacode & zipcode around LA

     I called 718-976-3838 again recently, and just got phone bill
     showing NEW YORK, NY again for it.  (718 should be fully cut
     over by now, so this seems to be a permanent arrangement?)

The switch to 718 for the boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten
Island did not bring an accompanying change in boundaries - they are
all still part of New York City, thank you.  (This is just the sort
of thing us non-Manhattanites feared would happen when we lost the
212 area code.)

-Robert
-------

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!homxa!hood@Berkeley
Date: 17 Apr 85 09:39:03 CST (Wed)

To: ihnp4!ucbvax!telecom
From: Ron Hood
Subject: 1.544 Mb formats

I've noticed some discussion on the formats for T1 carrier, and DS1
streams during the last few digests.  While I don't claim to be an
expert I can offer a few pointers to good sources.

A sort of standard reference in the former Bell System is the
"Red Books"; a three volume set published by Western Electric covering
everything you could ever want to know about transmission.  I don't
know if the set is available to the general public, but you might look
around.  The title is "Telecommunications Transmission Engineering" and
was published by WeCo Technical Publications, Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

A second document is Compatibility Bulletin 119 (formerly TA 34).  This
contains the "Interconnection Specification for Digital Cross-Connects"
which is a round about way of saying that it has the specs for the
DS-1, DS-2, DS-3, and DS-4 formats.  This is alleged to be available from:

		Publishers' Data Center, Inc.
		P.O. Box C-738
		Pratt Street Station
		Brooklyn, New York  11205
		(212) 834-0170

A slight clarification of terms is that a T1 line is a digital metallic
carrier system developed by AT&T while a DS-1 stream is a standardized
1.544Mb interface.  In practice the terms are used interchangeably since
the only difference is that T1 will sometimes have a DC offset to power
remote repeaters.  I don't advocate misusing the terms, but you'll find
it where ever you go (similar to baud vs bits per second).

			Ron

End of TELECOM Digest