[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #182

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (04/24/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Wed, 24 Apr 85 16:16:57 EST    Volume 4 : Issue 182

Today's Topics:
                 more on equal access and supervision
                        Conferencing two lines
                         Common Data Carriers
                       Phone Surge Supressors?
                    Re:  Instate vs. Outstate WATS
                  Anderson Jacobson modem info needed
                     Credit?  You want *credit*??

Date: Fri, 19-Apr-85 14:51:52 PST
From: vortex!lauren@rand-unix (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: more on equal access and supervision
To: TELECOM@MC.ARPA

Just to clarify, just because you have equal access to the alternate
carriers at your ORIGINATING point doesn't say anything about
the availability of called party supervision info.  That info is
typically related to the availability of equal access on the
DESTINATION side of the call.  And, as I mentioned earlier, most
(if not all) of the alternates are ignoring that information even
when it is available.

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date: Sat 20 Apr 85 18:02:02-PST
From: Ole Jorgen Jacobsen <OLE@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: Conferencing two lines
To: Telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA

Can anyone tell me what the Kosher way of adding "Conference" to my
two-line phone is?  Presumably all I would need is two inductively
coupled coils with the correct (600 ohm?) impedance and a ganged
switch which activates/deactivates both of them. What kind of trans-
former should I use, what kind of rating, coupling ratio etc, and
where can I get such a thing?

<OLE>

PS. The AT&T "outboard" solution which is meant for *single* line phones
    is $89, too fancy and *far* too expensive. Help!
-------

------------------------------

Date: 21 Apr 85 21:15 PST
From: M. D. Parker <mike@LOGICON.ARPA>
To: telecom%bbncca@Nosc
Cc: mike@logicon
Subject: Common Data Carriers

Just for curiousity, suppose a computer system is available on the following
packet networks:

	UNINET
	TYMNET
	TELENET

Which would you choose to use and in what order?  reasons would be appreciated
as well.

Thanks

Mike Parker
ARPA:  mike@logicon

------------------------------

Date: 22 Apr 85 11:59 PST
From: M. D. Parker <mike@LOGICON.ARPA>
To: telecom%bbncca@Nosc
Subject: Phone Surge Supressors?

I just recently came across a data processing products catalog and saw
an interesting gizmo, a phone surge suppressor.  Does anybody really use
these type of devices?  If so, why?  Also, if I have a home computer
that is always on and everything, should I consider purchasing one of
these items?

Thanks

Mike Parker
ARPA: mike@logicon

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 22 Apr 85 16:57:37 EST
From:     Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA>
To:       telecom@rutgers.ARPA
Subject:  Re:  Instate vs. Outstate WATS

> Sort of a regulatory problem.  It has to do with Interstate vs.
> Intrastate tariffs.  If it's Interstate, AT&T gets it - if it's
> Intrastate, the local operating company gets it.  The costs for the two,
> vary significantly.

Not exactly right.   What happens is who regulates pricing.  Before
divestiture, the charges to call Washington, DC (another state)
were cheaper than calling some intervening place instate because
the instate call was not subject to ICC regulations.  The same
phone company handled the call.

> I.E. if you dialed an in
> state number it was cheaper (because it was provided by
local telco) per call handeled.

As I said, in Maryland it was cheaper to dial out of state.

-Ron

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 22 April 1985  11:50-MST
From: lyle <lyle%sjuvax.uucp@BRL-TGR>
Subject:   Anderson Jacobson modem info needed

A friend of mine just purchased one of the oldest modems I have ever
seen at a recent computer festival. It was made by ANDERSON JACOBSON
INC, in sunnyvale california. The problem is that now he wishes to use
this to link up with the Vax 11/780 here at St. Joes. University. What
I was hoping is that someone out there has some manuals or
documentation on the thing.

The stats as far as I know are:

	Anderson Jacobson Inc.
	Sunnyvale California

	ADAC - 1200
	power: 115 vac
	       60 Hz
	       1/4 A.
	Serial # 0375,01

If anyone has any information about it, please mail me.

					Thanks Alot in Advance
Wayne J. Lyle (CF)                                    St. Joseph's University
{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!lyle             Philadelphia

------------------------------

Date: 24 Apr 85 03:44:54 EST
From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: Credit?  You want *credit*??
To: telecom@RUTGERS.ARPA

Remember back in the good ole days when you got cut off on a
long-distance call, or got the wrong number?  You called up the
operator, she said ''Oh, I'm sorry, I'll reconnect you and arrange credit'' and
proceeded to do so.

Jersey has just been moved over to the post-divestiture kludge that covers these
situations.  Now you get connected to a Credit Operator, and you have to
tell that person the number you called from, the number you called, and the
conditions requiring billing adjustment.  It turns out that there is a
direct 800 number to get this operator as well, so you don't have to bug
the NJBell operators about it if it was an AT&T call.  The billing
center is in Philadelphia and now covers five states.  This is apparently
necessary since NJBell operators now cannot access AT&T billing records
since they are separate companies, so you have to talk directly to
AT&T for billing correction.

Yettch!  When are they going to put it all back together so it works *right*?

_H*
-------

End of TELECOM Digest