[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #186

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (05/02/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Wed, 1 May 85 22:41:15 EDT    Volume 4 : Issue 186

Today's Topics:
            The INSTRUCTION BOOKLET for a DEMON DIALER...
                      Pay phones and hearing Aids
                    Re: Phone line surge protection

Date: 30 Apr 85    8:23 EST
From:   James A. Dorf   <stdtjad%BOSTONU.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: The INSTRUCTION BOOKLET for a DEMON DIALER...
To:  telecom@bbncca.arpa

-----
Hi folks.  I have the 92-memory-location DEMON DIALER which I can
definately recommend as a full-function auto-dialer but since it's
purchase a couple of years ago I have LOST the instruction booklet.

If anyone has a copy of this booklet, please simply reply with your
SNAIL-MAIL address and I will gladly mail you a postage-paid return
envelope plus photocopying costs (if necessary).

Please give this a high priority folken, I am rather desperate but
if no one has one around I can always just dig up the manufacturers
address and phone # and get it from them...

Thanks and warm regards/jad

p.s.  If anyone wants to hear about all the f a b u l o u s features
of the Demon Dialer, let me know...  I should be a salesman for them!/j
-----

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 30 Apr 85 21:37 EST
From:      bhawkins%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
To:       telecom@bbncca.ARPA
Subject:  Pay phones and hearing Aids

	What has Bell done with their new Pay phones to keep me
from hearing dial tone and ring tone with my hearing aid?  I have
heard rumors that there was going to be trouble with magnetic
coupling to the telephone loops that most hearing aids have, but
I rarely use that (occasionally in noisy environments); I just
use regular acoustic coupling and always have got along fine.
But suddenly the last two times I have used a pay phone (in both
cases they looked new) I can't hear either tone (and for all I
know I can't hear the busy tone either).  Speech volume also
seems less than usual.  The first time I thought it was something
wrong with the phones and went down the whole bank of them, all
the same.
	Needless to say, I am angry.  Suddenly I am more
handicapped than I used to be.  Phones at home and the office are
fine.
				Bruce Hawkins
				bhawkins@umass-cs@csnet-relay

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 30 Apr 85 21:43 EST
From:      bhawkins%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
To:       telecom@bbncca.ARPA
Subject:  Re: Phone line surge protection

> I just recently came across a data processing products catalog and saw
> an interesting gizmo, a phone surge suppressor.  Does anybody really use
> these type of devices?  If so, why?  Also, if I have a home computer
> that is always on and everything, should I consider purchasing one of
> these items?

	A year ago, I had a lightning strike a quarter-mile from
my house.  No damage was done to either computer (both were off
at the time), but it took out my modem (Anchor XII).  So when I
saw a phone-line surge suppressor for $19, I ordered it
immediately.  It seems to be invisible (inaudible?): it has not
introduced any problems that I am aware of.  I haven't had any
more lightning strikes, either, so I can't tell you how effective
it is.
				Bruce Hawkins
				bhawkins@umass-cs

End of TELECOM Digest