[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #189

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (05/10/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Thu, 9 May 85 16:37:07 EDT    Volume 4 : Issue 189

Today's Topics:
                            Auto ringback
                                 DTN
                      Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #187
                      Telephone wiring diagram?
                     Hearing on public telephones
        Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #187 -  Telephone wiring diagram

Date: 6 May 1985 11:31-EDT
Subject: Auto ringback
From: WTHOMPSON@BBNF.ARPA
To: Telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA
Cc: WThompson@BBNF.ARPA

Does anyone know a number to call to get automatic ringback (for testing
lines) in the Nynex area?  More specifically, in the New England Tel.
area?  More specifically, in the Boston area?

Tks,

- Bill Thompson
(WThompson@BBNF)

------------------------------

Date: Monday,  6 May 1985 09:13:36-PDT
From: goldberg%viking.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Marshall R., PCSG LJ02/E4 DTN 282-2325)
To: telecom@bbncca
Subject: DTN

DTN (Digital Telephone Number) is Digital's internal telephone number prefix.
For our site, the internal DTN prefix is 282 but on the outside one
uses 486.

Marshall

------------------------------

Date: Tue 7 May 85 01:42:26-EDT
From: Robert Scott Lenoil <G.LENOIL%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #187
To: Faunt%hplabs.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

     Date: Wed 1 May 85 20:01:31-PDT
     From: Doug <Faunt%hplabs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
     Subject: Telephone wiring diagram?
     To: telecom@bbncca.ARPA

     I have a old Trimline telephone that I'd like to get
     wired correctly.  It is a '69 vintage unit that requires
     a transformer for lighting the buttons.
     I've managed to get the switch-hook wiring sort-of figured out,
     but can't seem to get the bell to work properly.
     The bell has five wires coming out of the bell, colored:
     Red, Black, Blue, Slate, Slate/Red
     The terminal plate has a capacitor between terminals K and A.
     The rest of the terminals are marked L1, L2, 1, 3, 4, B, F, G, and C
     The handset has 5 leads: Red and Green are Tip and Ring, Black and
     White are the lighting circuit, and Yellow is ?

     Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

		     faunt%hplabs@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
     -------
You only need connect two of the wires from the ringer.  I forget which two,
but experimentation will quickly resolve that.  Anyways, one of these wires
should be connected to the terminal closest to the one labelled F.  This
terminal should be unused.  The next wire should go to the C terminal.  On
my phone, there are two terminals labelled C; I ran it to the one furthest
from the H terminal, as shown:

RR   C
 C   B
 ^
 Connect here

Note that I arrived at this wiring via experimentation on my Princess phone,
which I no longer have with me, so I can't check on this.  (This was written
down though, not from memory.)

-Robert
-------

------------------------------

From: Miriam Clifford <dmimi%ecsvax%mcnc.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA>
Date:     6 May 85 10:23:44 EDT  (Mon)
Subject:  Hearing on public telephones
To: telecom%ucbvax%arpa@Berkeley

[]
The pay phones that are not hearing aid compatible may be a decision,
however thoughtless, of the local telephone company.
A protest could be lodged (presumably pay phones should be equally
accessable to all) and, at least, an educational campaign launched to
prevent such stupidity (if possible) and to correct such conditions
when they are found.  There is no valid reason not have ALL phones
hearing aid compatible, as far as I know.  Those that are, are equally
usable by the non-hearing-impaired, and have no disadvantages that I
am aware of.

A national organization exists to help hearing impaired persons help
themselves--I've forwarded the original message to them.  You might want to
support their efforts:

Self Help for the Hard of Hearing (SHHH)
7800 Wisconsin Ave
Bethesda, MD 27814
301-657-2248

{decvax,ihnp4,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!dmimi
Mimi Clifford
2535 Sevier St
Durham, NC 27705
919-489-4821  919-684-2854 (Wed)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 85 09:46:52 pdt
From: dual!paul@Berkeley (Paul Wilcox-Baker)
To: telecom@Berkeley
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #187 -  Telephone wiring diagram

> I have a old Trimline telephone that I'd like to get
> wired correctly.  It is a '69 vintage unit that requires
> a transformer for lighting the buttons.
> I've managed to get the switch-hook wiring sort-of figured out,
> but can't seem to get the bell to work properly.
> The bell has five wires coming out of the bell, colored:
> Red, Black, Blue, Slate, Slate/Red

The bell is usually wired as follows:
Slate/Red to A
Slate to     K
Red to       L2
Black to     L1
The Blue wire I have never encountered before.  I would leave it
isolated.

> The terminal plate has a capacitor between terminals K and A.
> The rest of the terminals are marked L1, L2, 1, 3, 4, B, F, G, and C
> The handset has 5 leads: Red and Green are Tip and Ring, Black and
> White are the lighting circuit, and Yellow is ?

In Trimline phones all the speech circuitry is in the handset part.
The base seems to contain only the bell,  the terminal strip and
hook-switch.

Paul Wilcox-Baker.

End of TELECOM Digest