[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #190

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (05/12/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Sat, 11 May 85 17:52:17 EDT    Volume 4 : Issue 190

Today's Topics:
                              Ring-back
                           modem confusion?
                       Re: lightning protection
                      Re:  Boston area ringback
                 Verification of Equal Access Carrier
                        boston area ring back
                           sprint features

To: wthompson@CSNET-SH.ARPA
Subject: Ring-back
Date: 09 May 85 19:05:41 EDT (Thu)
From: long@CSNET-SH.ARPA

Bill,

    on 646-xxxx, 981-xxxx works.  On some other numbers in this area, 982-xxxx
works.  It's the standard: call number, get tone, flash, wait for buzz, and
then hang up.

Dan

------------------------------

To: telecom@bbncca.ARPA
Subject: modem confusion?
Date: 09 May 85 20:23:48 EST (Thu)
From: Christopher A Kent <cak@Purdue.ARPA>

Every once in a while, when dialed up from home, my connection seems to
get quite confused. The symptom is that it prints about 20 U
characters, then the connections goes into the state where everything I
type is echoed, but nothing gets accomplished. The only solution is to
hang up and connect again, at which point everything is fine.

I can't reproduce it, but it keeps happening. Does this sound familiar
to anyone? It seems to be related to one of the modems, but I can't be
sure which one.

Thanks,
chris
----------

------------------------------

Date:  9-May-85 17:35:39-PDT
From: jbn@FORD-WDL1.ARPA
Subject: Re: lightning protection
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA
Cc: jbn@FORD-WDL1.ARPA

      In the antenna world, where lightning strikes are a routine problem,
several layers of defenses are needed to protect equipment.  The first is
typically a spark gap followed by about a ten-turn coil of half-inch square
copper busbar.  The lightning spike is sharp enough that the inductance of
the coil forces most of the energy across the spark gap, which must connect,
via 000 copper or better, to a good solid ground such as a small
farm of 6' ground rods.  Heathkit used to sell such a unit, which looked
line an orange-juice can with coax connectors on both ends and a big
ground terminal on the side; this unit was rated as able to damp a direct
lightning strike down to 90 volts or less.
      With one of these out front, a MOV-type surge suppressor can probably
do the rest of the job, and the wire should melt down before your equipment
goes.

					John Nagle

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 85  8:55:09 EDT
From: Jim Berets <jberets@bbn-vax>
Subject: Re:  Boston area ringback
To: telecom@bbncca.arpa
Cc: jberets@bbn-vax.arpa

A number that has worked for me in Belmont and Watertown is
981-(last 4 digits of phone dialed from).  If I remember
correctly, you get a dial tone after dialing this.  Flash,
and you will get a constant single-frequency tone.  Then,
hang up and you will be called back.  Hanging up again after
answering gets you back to the beginning.

Jim

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 85 20:23 PDT
From: M. D. Parker <mike@LOGICON.ARPA>
To: telecom%bbncca@Nosc
Cc: mike@logicon
Subject: Verification of Equal Access Carrier

I recently read the following bulletin from a long distance carrier:

"
Equal Access customers are urged to verify their Equal Access carrier
after they have been notified of their activation date by simply dialing

0-700-555-4141.

This convenient feature is simply used to verify that your phone line
has been presubscribed by your 1+ carrier.
"

Has anybody tried this number.  I know that this number does not work
where I am at the moment.

Mike Parker
ARPA:  mike@logicon

PS:  Wasn't the 700 area code used previously by President James Earl Carter
	during his nationwide call in radio program "Talk to President
	Carter"?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 May 85 17:48:14 EDT
From: Jon Solomon <jsol@bbncca.ARPA>
Subject: boston area ring back
To: telecom@bbncca.arpa

981, 982, 983, 984, 985, 986, 987, etc. Plus last 4 digits. Also
if that doesn't work some places in Cambridge use 977+last 4.

Some areas don't have a ringback number, so if you don't find one,
it's not because you haven't looked.

--JSol

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 May 85 17:49:41 EDT
From: Jon Solomon <jsol@bbncca.ARPA>
Subject: sprint features
To: telecom@bbncca.arpa

I almost don't want to publish this because they might take the features away
(assuming they aren't ready to announce).

If you dial 10777+1+areacode+number from a coin phone, you get prompted
with a sprint dialtone.  Dial your access code (and travelcode if needed)
and it completes the call. This sure beats credit card calls since they don't
charge extra for use of this feature.

Also, the sprint 950 number works in Boston. The Quality is not as good
as if you were using the "announced" dialin (which starts with 426),
but from a measured line or a pay phone it costs money to use that.

I hope Sprint announces the 10777 feature, because it sure is winning.

--Jsol

End of TELECOM Digest